The Student Room Group

Missed two of my gcse exams

I’ve been struggling with mental health for the longest time and it wasn’t until now, right when I’m suppose to sit my exams, that I’m finally getting some support. Meaning I’ve finally gotten a therapist now after such an extremely long wait.

Anxiety has been a huge struggle ever since school started after covid, and my attendance has been bad even before covid. I was predicted all 9s and I use to kinda enjoy learning and stuff, I genuinely thought I could make it out of school with 9s, 8s, but as school progressed and as my mental state had become worse I don’t think I’ll even be passing most of my exams to be very brutally honest.

From the amount of content I missed out during covid, to the amount of content I missed due to poor attendance, I don’t think I could’ve ever caught up, especially not with what I was dealing with. I never had a good study routine, nor an actual routine in general, nothing was or is stable or secure in my life currently.

Just needed to get this of my chest tbh, I’m at a confusing and kinda scary stage in my life ngl, not sure if anyone will actually see this but just wondering if anyone could relate or anything
i've had a super similar experience with my alevels, just do whatever you can and know that sometimes stuff doesn't go as perfect as we wanted. despite missing time i'm doing the best i can with where i'm at and you should too !
Original post by mdot2busy
I’ve been struggling with mental health for the longest time and it wasn’t until now, right when I’m suppose to sit my exams, that I’m finally getting some support. Meaning I’ve finally gotten a therapist now after such an extremely long wait.

Anxiety has been a huge struggle ever since school started after covid, and my attendance has been bad even before covid. I was predicted all 9s and I use to kinda enjoy learning and stuff, I genuinely thought I could make it out of school with 9s, 8s, but as school progressed and as my mental state had become worse I don’t think I’ll even be passing most of my exams to be very brutally honest.

From the amount of content I missed out during covid, to the amount of content I missed due to poor attendance, I don’t think I could’ve ever caught up, especially not with what I was dealing with. I never had a good study routine, nor an actual routine in general, nothing was or is stable or secure in my life currently.

Just needed to get this of my chest tbh, I’m at a confusing and kinda scary stage in my life ngl, not sure if anyone will actually see this but just wondering if anyone could relate or anything

Really sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment. :hugs:

It's at a different stage, but I really struggled with my mental health after the first year of university. I ended up avoiding all my classes and dropping out without telling my friends or parents for a whole year. Eventually when I could make that step to being upfront with everyone and going back to finish what I started I never felt prouder of myself! That first step to getting help is so often the hardest.

If you're capable, try your best to go to the rest of your exams, even if you don't do very well you will regret not going if you feel up to it!

I hope this helps, even a little :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lottierosewood
i've had a super similar experience with my alevels, just do whatever you can and know that sometimes stuff doesn't go as perfect as we wanted. despite missing time i'm doing the best i can with where i'm at and you should too !

Alright! I will try my best even though things are difficult at the moment, I won’t lose hope (:
Original post by mdot2busy

give yourself time.....exams can wait....there is no rush and its not a race....exams will always be there if you ever want to take them. Plenty people out there with successful and happy lives and this is the most important ie yourself
Reply 5
Original post by Evil Homer
Really sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment. :hugs:

It's at a different stage, but I really struggled with my mental health after the first year of university. I ended up avoiding all my classes and dropping out without telling my friends or parents for a whole year. Eventually when I could make that step to being upfront with everyone and going back to finish what I started I never felt prouder of myself! That first step to getting help is so often the hardest.

If you're capable, try your best to go to the rest of your exams, even if you don't do very well you will regret not going if you feel up to it!

I hope this helps, even a little :smile:

I appreciate your responseee! I’m sorry to hear that you also had to struggle with something like this, it must’ve been a tough time for you.:hugs:

How long did you drop out for if you don’t mind me asking? A month before I would’ve thought I’d never come back to school let alone sit my gcses but yeah I’ve finally gotten back and managed to sit atleast one exam, my teachers were really happy to see that I’ve made it back and I suppose I’m quite happy too lol
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
give yourself time.....exams can wait....there is no rush and its not a race....exams will always be there if you ever want to take them. Plenty people out there with successful and happy lives and this is the most important ie yourself

Yeah you’re right, I suppose I’m just slightly worried that I won’t be progressing along with my friends and peers, also just wanted to see if anyone has gone/is going through something similar aswell.
Reply 7
You should probably talk to your teachers
Reply 8
Original post by brjf
You should probably talk to your teachers

Yup I have

Quick Reply

Latest