The Student Room Group

What Subjects Do I Take?

so basically, i’ve just finished my gcses about a week ago and i’m not stressing too much about my results; i’m more stressing about what to choose for my a level options. at my utc they don’t offer too many subjects, as it’s quite small, and they don’t have enough teachers or room to do too many subjects. before doing my gcses, i really, really wanted to be an astrophysicist or astronomer or something along those lines, so i figured maths and physics were obvious a level choices. i also really enjoyed my biology lessons, so i wanted to take that to a level as well, and because i’d rather take the degree apprenticeship route (so i’d be doing a bachelors degree in aerospace engineering) i thought i’d take a single engineering level 3 qualification. the timetable was set up and i got told i’d either have to drop engineering, physics or biology, but i kept asking and trying to find solutions so that i could do all of them. now i don’t know how i feel about being an astrophysicist, maybe i’m just feeling burnt out after exams, or maybe i’ve got so used to the idea of that career that im bored of it now? i don’t know. another subject i really love and im not ready to let go of is english, which my school offer, but i’d have to drop either biology or physics to do that (or engineering but that wouldn’t be as affected as the other two subjects). i got told that one of the subjects might get too many students for the class and they may have to do an extra class of that subject, but it’s not guaranteed. id also feel like i’ve been a nuisance for nothing about the engineering thing, but i feel so drawn to english; i feel like i might even want to consider writing as a career. what do i do?
Original post by a.quirky.kid
so basically, i’ve just finished my gcses about a week ago and i’m not stressing too much about my results; i’m more stressing about what to choose for my a level options. at my utc they don’t offer too many subjects, as it’s quite small, and they don’t have enough teachers or room to do too many subjects. before doing my gcses, i really, really wanted to be an astrophysicist or astronomer or something along those lines, so i figured maths and physics were obvious a level choices. i also really enjoyed my biology lessons, so i wanted to take that to a level as well, and because i’d rather take the degree apprenticeship route (so i’d be doing a bachelors degree in aerospace engineering) i thought i’d take a single engineering level 3 qualification. the timetable was set up and i got told i’d either have to drop engineering, physics or biology, but i kept asking and trying to find solutions so that i could do all of them. now i don’t know how i feel about being an astrophysicist, maybe i’m just feeling burnt out after exams, or maybe i’ve got so used to the idea of that career that im bored of it now? i don’t know. another subject i really love and im not ready to let go of is english, which my school offer, but i’d have to drop either biology or physics to do that (or engineering but that wouldn’t be as affected as the other two subjects). i got told that one of the subjects might get too many students for the class and they may have to do an extra class of that subject, but it’s not guaranteed. id also feel like i’ve been a nuisance for nothing about the engineering thing, but i feel so drawn to english; i feel like i might even want to consider writing as a career. what do i do?

Hi there and welcome to TSR!

Colleges usually have A level adjustment periods at the start of the year where students can change A levels if they don't feel they are right for them so try not to worry. You may also be able to change subjects later on in the year too (the sooner the better as you're more likely to be allowed to and will have less to catch up on).

It may be worth attending a taster day if there's one available otherwise perhaps look into the course content to see if it interests you.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Best wishes.

Look at the course content online for the subjects to see which you think you may like best.
If you do change your mind, most 6th forms let you swap subjects in the first few weeks (preferably the earlier the better as you will have missed less work and will have less to catch up on).
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there and welcome to TSR!

Colleges usually have A level adjustment periods at the start of the year where students can change A levels if they don't feel they are right for them so try not to worry. You may also be able to change subjects later on in the year too (the sooner the better as you're more likely to be allowed to and will have less to catch up on).

It may be worth attending a taster day if there's one available otherwise perhaps look into the course content to see if it interests you.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Best wishes.

thanks! i’ve been in a couple of taster things, and to be honest, i think i’m just gonna wait until results day to start getting all worked up about it (which is easier said than done, but oh well)
Original post by Emma:-)
Look at the course content online for the subjects to see which you think you may like best.
If you do change your mind, most 6th forms let you swap subjects in the first few weeks (preferably the earlier the better as you will have missed less work and will have less to catch up on).

yeah, i’m giving it a week or so to just rest before i look at the course content, but i think that’s a really great idea. and, like you said, i can always switch one subject for another in the first couple of weeks if i’m really not enjoying the ones i di end up choosing

i wanted to do the same as you at gcse, and i was definitely gravitating to astrophysics and astronomy, but over time i've realised that i'd rather just do a broad physics degree and then narrow it down or go into engineering.
I do alevel physics maths and geography and physics and maths go really well together. Honestly, if you want to do biology then do it, but if you know that you want to go down a physics/ engineering route, then i'd say that biology might be extra stress for no reason, since you won't need it.

Overall i'd say do what you enjoy; you can always change subjects within a certain time frame in year 12, and if you end up not taking English you could always do an epq relating to it.

Quick Reply

Latest