The Student Room Group

I regret taking a level sciences and maths- what now??

So I basically took physics chemistry and maths since I got good grades at o levels with straight As and A*s. However, with my mid terms approaching I honelsrt can’t take these subjects anymore because I have no interest in them!! I honestly just took them to look smart but that’s not the point anymore because i hate studying them. What shall I do now? My college is going to kill me if I switch now it’s so late and I have my mid terms.
Original post by Asmaaazkiek
So I basically took physics chemistry and maths since I got good grades at o levels with straight As and A*s. However, with my mid terms approaching I honelsrt can’t take these subjects anymore because I have no interest in them!! I honestly just took them to look smart but that’s not the point anymore because i hate studying them. What shall I do now? My college is going to kill me if I switch now it’s so late and I have my mid terms.

OK. You've established what you don't want to study. What do you want to study? Does you current college offer that? Whilst, as you say, it's way too late to switch, would they allow you to restart the year - studying different subjects - next September? Is that something you would consider?

Actually, before making that decision, what do you want to do after college? University? Apprenticeship? Employment? What qualifications (if any) would that involve?
Reply 2
Original post by Asmaaazkiek

If your college won't let you change, you'll have to soldier through and get the best grades you can. If you REALLY don't like your subjects and/or get bad grades in them then you'll have to look at the possibility of resitting the year, as DataVenia said, studying the subjects you actually LIKE.

So, you took those subjects just to 'look smart'? I'm sorry, but that's completely ridiculous of you.

I may get laughed at by my STEM friends for taking, in their eyes, 'useless' essay subjects such as Geography and Politics, but guess what? I'm getting As and Bs while they're getting Es and Us. See? No point in taking those subjects just to 'look smart' when you're the one getting the worst grades.

But seriously, taking those subjects just to 'look smart' should never be a factor when choosing your A-levels. Also, good grades at GCSE don't always mean that you'll do good at them at A-level. STEM subjects like Maths and Science are very different to GCSE, and they require more effort to do well in them. You should be making your A-level choices based on interest, what you enjoyed at GCSE, your future career and your ability to do well in them. You've discovered this all far too late, so you'll need to resit Year 12 if you want to change your subjects.
Reply 3
Keep going.

There are a hundred degree subjects that have nothing to do with STEM that you could still do - most social science courses including Law dont require any specific subject.

Have a look at this list of degree subjects at just one Uni, look at anything that sounds interesting, and check the entry requirements - if its just three grades then there are no specific subjects required - Undergraduate Courses, Degrees : Study : University of Sussex

Use this as your motivation to keep going and get the grades you need to do something else at Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest