The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I highly doubt the 1st Class Oxbridge degree would do me any good if I hadn't actually worked for it and learned the subject it claimed I was an expert on. Employers would hire me based on the degree, then just as quickly fire me when they worked out I didn't know half of what I claimed to.

This.
Original post by ubi1
3 houses at the price of £83.3K Each well you can get a nice house for £250K a very nice house 6Bedroom plus, maybe in a area like london you can get a nice one but may have to renovate it though:redface:

Nice joke.
Reply 182
Original post by Juichiro
Nice joke.

a broken house thats need sorting out, but your right now even renovating is not an option anymore considering prices averagely are £500k per house in London.
Easy, i'd take the money, use it to pay for vet shool as a second degree, then i'd put some aside for a rainy day, invest some, treat my family to a holiday, donate some to the poor and then treat myself to a car.

I think i might have given this a tad too much thought :laugh:
The degree if the knowledge of 4 years worth of learning in university came with it. Otherwise, the money.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I highly doubt the 1st Class Oxbridge degree would do me any good if I hadn't actually worked for it and learned the subject it claimed I was an expert on. Employers would hire me based on the degree, then just as quickly fire me when they worked out I didn't know half of what I claimed to.

What if you could have a futuristic memory implant where they squirt the exclusive and prized 'oxbridge information' directly into your brain - like there was in The Matrix?

you'd know all the same stuff as an oxbridge graduate - but you wouldn't have to spend 3 years trying to fit in at the fancy dress dinners.
Original post by Messiah Complex
£250k. I'd buy a house near a university and then convert it so it has 4 bedrooms. I'd then rent out each room making about £1.5-2k per month. That will be more than what a lot of graduates earn. Once I had saved enough, easy with no mortgage, I'd do the same and then continue to rinse and repeat it.

Very clever.
Take the money then study for the degree or alternatively just bribe them :colone:
Not having a first from Oxbridge has never stopped me getting what I want. Not having £250k on the other hand, means I can't afford a flat in London and have to waste what little money I have renting.

Money - I'm not even slightly torn. I want a house godammit. As it is I can't afford one until I move back up north..
£250k. I'd buy a house near a university and then convert it so it has 4 bedrooms. I'd then rent out each room making about £1.5-2k per month. That will be more than what a lot of graduates earn. Once I had saved enough, easy with no mortgage, I'd do the same and then continue to rinse and repeat it.

Unless you already own a house outright, this makes less sense than just buying a property for yourself.
Original post by redferry
Not having a first from Oxbridge has never stopped me getting what I want. Not having £250k on the other hand, means I can't afford a flat in London and have to waste what little money I have renting.

Money - I'm not even slightly torn. I want a house godammit. As it is I can't afford one until I move back up north..

Seemingly its stopped you being able to correctly produce an ellipses though. Three fullstops, no more or less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
Unless you already own a house outright, this makes less sense than just buying a property for yourself.

You might want to tell my uncle that then as he's now worth roughly £16m from doing exactly the same thing.
Oxbridge degree all the way given I would have the knowledge I would acquire doing the course. If not, 250k
You might want to tell my uncle that then as he's now worth roughly £16m from doing exactly the same thing.

I'm not saying it's a silly idea, I'm saying it's pointless doing that without yourself owning a property first. Obviously you're not going to survive on £1,500-£2,000 a month after estate agents fees, your own rent/bills and tax without having another job, but then you'll be earning £3k+ a month and paying disproportionately more in income tax, essentially pissing money away on income tax instead of it going into property investment.

But yes, the main reason the divide in wealth continues to diverge is because it's substantially easier making a lot of money when you've got money in the first place.
I would take that 250k and invest it all in various properties to make 1 bedroom flats. I'd break even in 3-5 years but with much more profit as passive income rating at 18% to 30% on my initial investment per year.

I'd then have real assets plus a good amount of Benjamin's flown in.

A degree is a piece of paper. I'd rather be a Capitalist than a Cattle. Baaa Baaa Baaa Baaa!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
I'm not saying it's a silly idea, I'm saying it's pointless doing that without yourself owning a property first. Obviously you're not going to survive on £1,500-£2,000 a month after estate agents fees, your own rent/bills and tax without having another job, but then you'll be earning £3k+ a month and paying disproportionately more in income tax, essentially pissing money away on income tax instead of it going into property investment.

But yes, the main reason the divide in wealth continues to diverge is because it's substantially easier making a lot of money when you've got money in the first place.

Yeah you're right but you have to remember that he come from a time when it was pretty normal to own a house. Houses were more affordable back then. Even so, in some parts of the UK you could still get a decent house whilst living in an apartment yourself for the time being. That is something that wouldn't bother me. Obviously for others this isn't an option. It depends entirely on circumstances really.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
I could turn that 250k into 1 million over night.

But of course you'd donate it all to food banks, right?
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Oxbridge degree all the way given I would have the knowledge I would acquire doing the course. If not, 250k

You also get the grey hairs and receding hair line.
But of course you'd donate it all to food banks, right?

Not the investment. Some of the profits sure. All ethical businesses do some form of charity.
Original post by Adipoptosis
Im so sorry to all the people who just got Oxbridge offers over the past few weeks

Don't feel sorry. They're going to the best unis in the world and I'm sure they chose to do it.
I smell Oxbridge reject biterness?
Some people don't just study for the money. Some people are genuinely passionate about attending the very tops institutions and learning about the field they love.

Latest