LSE 2017 Applicants

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shay18)
    GCSEs - 1A*, 10As, 1B
    A Level Grades - Maths A*, Further Maths A*, Chemistry B

Currently on a gap year doing an internship at Barclays.
    Does anyone know whether it is worth applying to LSE for Mathematics with Economics - they ask for A*AA - if I have a strong personal statement and these grades?
    According to LSE offerholders guide you have marginally missed the standard offer. See the example in the offer holders guide. Best to check with LSE as well.

A level example: You are asked to obtain AAA at A level and you achieve A*AB.
    Unfortunately, achieving a higher grade in one subject will not compensate for a lower grade in a different subject. This means that you will have marginally failed to meet the conditions
    of your offer

Other problem is I don't think further maths can be used to fulfil the first part of the offer - Check with LSE

Example from offer holders Guide

What does “Obtain grades A*AA plus a pass in Further Mathematics” mean?This offer means that you need to obtain two A grades at A level and an A* at A level with an additional pass in Further Mathematics at A level as a fourth subject. Your Further Mathematics grade will only count once. Therefore, even if you obtain an A grade in this subject, it will not count towards the first part of your offer.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs - 1A*, 10As, 1B

Does anyone know whether it is worth applying to LSE for Mathematics with Economics - they ask for A*AA - if I have a strong personal statement and these grades?
    I phoned them about this and they said that you would be at a disadvantage but they do take into consideration your personal statement and your references, so you may have a slim chance. Will you be retaking?

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs - 1A*, 10As, 1B

You will need to retake Chemistry and try to get predicted an A

ReputationRep:
    I emailed LSE and they replied today saying I should retake my B in Chemistry, but this would slightly disadvantage me when applying.
    Also the Further Mathematics grade is strongly preferred and counted for Mathematics with/and Economics degree.

My friend got in this year at LSE for the same course with the same grades. However, he already had an offer of A*AA, but achieved A*A*B on results day and was accepted.

So not sure what to do, will probably just apply and hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed LSE and they replied today saying I should retake my B in Chemistry, but this would slightly disadvantage me when applying.
    Also the Further Mathematics grade is strongly preferred and counted for Mathematics with/and Economics degree.

My friend got in this year at LSE for the same course with the same grades. However, he already had an offer of A*AA, but achieved A*A*B on results day and was accepted.

So not sure what to do, will probably just apply and hope for the best.
    I'd suggest getting a prediction on your reference as well for your Chemistry grade to show LSE that you're capable of getting an A. Hope it all goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romaiseb)
    I'd suggest getting a prediction on your reference as well for your Chemistry grade to show LSE that you're capable of getting an A. Hope it all goes well
    Yeah I definitely will. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Your friend is lucky
    They sometimes even reject you if you miss your offer by 1 in one subject while achieving above the requirement in other subjects. (Depends on course though)

So make sure to retake your Chemistry (with prediction A or above) if you want to have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    please answer: are these set of gcse's rubbish for lse? are they both rubbish or both good?
    1)A*A*A* AAA BB

2)A*AAA BBBB C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantham999)
    please answer: are these set of gcse's rubbish for lse? are they both rubbish or both good?
    1)A*A*A* AAA BB

2)A*AAA BBBB C
    The first is good, the second is risky depending on what the C is in. Of course, it depends on what kind of school you've come from/where + other contextual data

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I definitely will. Thanks
    Just to be clear you have 2 problems. Improving your chemistry to A will solve the first problem.
    The other problem is you can't use Further Maths as part of A*AA offer you will need another A2 Level course with at least an A. .Check this with LSE about using the Further Math as part of the A*AA requirement for Economics with math.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantham999)
    1)A*A*A* AAA BB

2)A*AAA BBBB C
    The first one is fine. The second one looks risky, but for both cases, it depends on the subjects you got B and C in and also the course you want to apply.

A-Level grades are way more important though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    I'm applying for Economics

I have 10A*s at GCSE and AAA at AS, maths module scores of 100, 90, 92, 96 in C1 C2 C3 and M1 respectively

Predicted A*A*A* + A in AS Further Maths

Do I have a good chance of getting an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you are the biggest dick i know. Theres me hoping for lse with 3Bs at AS and you post to show off your grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patelvinai)
    you are the biggest dick i know. Theres me hoping for lse with 3Bs at AS and you post to show off your grades
    Kek why are you even trying bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovecathy)
    Same here, friends I'm holding an unconditional (finally!) offer for Law. Pretty sure the PS was what got me through as well (:

And the Open Day was awesome! Definitely follow redwhiteandbrit's advice on this one - it made the decision between UCL & LSE so much easier for me.
    Could you please help with my PS! I don't know if I'm one the right track. Congrats on the offer & I hope uni is going well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patelvinai)
    well now you understand the competition. these universities aren't easy to get into, don't call someone a dick whom is probably more motivated than you and has an incredibly strong work ethic. just up your game. work harder. you sound like a lame rn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yua)
    well now you understand the competition. these universities aren't easy to get into, don't call someone a dick whom is probably more motivated than you and has an incredibly strong work ethic. just up your game. work harder. you sound like a lame rn.
    I stand by Vinai TBH, a lot of people come here just to gloat about themselves - it's a bit of an arrogant thing to do imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey I was planning on applying for Accounting and Finance. But I have 3 AS level subjects (phys chem and maths) in which i got all As. Do you guys think i'll be at a disadvantage because i have only 3 AS and A2 subjects? TIA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmahapatra)
    I stand by Vinai TBH, a lot of people come here just to gloat about themselves - it's a bit of an arrogant thing to do imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you can feel one of two ways - jealous or motivated. why be the former? who wants to be a salty loser their whole life? just be motivated, there are people out there with amazing grades and as a student you should aspire to get those grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yua)
    you can feel one of two ways - jealous or motivated. why be the former? who wants to be a salty loser their whole life? just be motivated, there are people out there with amazing grades and as a student you should aspire to get those grades.
    Aye I second this

People like gmahapatra are the ones who ultimately come on here complaining about how competitive everyone is and how it appears that everyone is better than them and how they wished that they hadn't firmed LSE and how they should have gone to Durham etc. If one's response is to crawl into a hole and start calling people rude/arrogant, then I wouldn't apply to LSE (or any other top uni for that matter).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Aye I second this

People like gmahapatra are the ones who ultimately come on here complaining about how competitive everyone is and how it appears that everyone is better than them and how they wished that they hadn't firmed LSE and how they should have gone to Durham etc. If one's response is to crawl into a hole and start calling people rude/arrogant, then I wouldn't apply to LSE (or any other top uni for that matter).
    Slow down, I never claimed anyone is better than me, and nor that I intend to crawl into a hole. I'm saying a lot of people tend to show up purely to be praised by others, I think we should find happiness in ways other than the approval of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.