The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A*A*A* and A in AS FM, Economics at LSE or Cambridge?

I am currently in Year 12 and have the predicted of 3 A* in Maths, Physics and Economics. I am planning on taking up further maths for AS in year 13 and are wondering how much this would benefit me and would it be worth it for applying to highly competitive economics courses. Do you think I would have a chance to get an offer? And can I have some suggestions on where else should I apply if Cambridge and LSE aren’t very suitable?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Did your school offer further maths? That might make a big difference.

To a large extent it depends on how much risk you are willing to take and whether you would be comfortable with a year out. Economics courses are very competitive and there is a real risk of rejections if you apply to the most popular places.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Did your school offer further maths? That might make a big difference.

To a large extent it depends on how much risk you are willing to take and whether you would be comfortable with a year out. Economics courses are very competitive and there is a real risk of rejections if you apply to the most popular places.

They did offer it in the first year, is there any way to negate the fact that I didn’t take it in year 12?
Reply 3
Original post by bens23
They did offer it in the first year, is there any way to negate the fact that I didn’t take it in year 12?

Someone in my year got into Imperial for CS despite not taking FM in Y12, though he did AS FM in Y13 (he also made BMO1 and some CS olympiads I'm not familiar with). Don't worry about it!
Reply 4
In the exact same position as you currently, let me know if you find out anymore information!
Reply 5
Original post by bwalters27
In the exact same position as you currently, let me know if you find out anymore information!

I saw one source saying that AS FM applicants had an offer rate pretty close to A Level whereas students not taking it have pretty much no chance.

I saw for 2017 statistics that..
A2 FM Candidates - 43%
AS FM Candidates - 38%
Neither - 5%

Take this with a grain of salt as it is from memory and the source may not be entirely accurate. However, I have emailed the admissions team and are waiting on a response for 2018,19 and 22 admissions data and will let you know once I get it.
Reply 6
Original post by bens23
I saw one source saying that AS FM applicants had an offer rate pretty close to A Level whereas students not taking it have pretty much no chance.

I saw for 2017 statistics that..
A2 FM Candidates - 43%
AS FM Candidates - 38%
Neither - 5%

Take this with a grain of salt as it is from memory and the source may not be entirely accurate. However, I have emailed the admissions team and are waiting on a response for 2018,19 and 22 admissions data and will let you know once I get it.

Have you got any info back yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending