The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

I decided that it's time for a thread for everyone applying to LSE for entry in 2017. That includes current Year 12 students like me and others who are applying for various reasons.

Feel free to say what course you're applying to and why, as well as your GCSEs, predicted A Level grades, extracurriculars or anything else you want to write about!
Also, if there is already a thread like this can you tell me, i couldn't find anything so I made this.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yeah ill be applying for econ if things go to plan hopefullly with AS
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Trapz99
What a level subjects are you studying?

maths , further maths, econ and physics
I'd love to study International Relations, but think I screwed up some of my AS exams (MATHS!!)
How many years of Alevels are required to get into LSE?
Reply 5
Original post by LamiaMunawar
How many years of Alevels are required to get into LSE?

Usually people apply during Year 13 and after doing their AS exams in Year 12. I don't understand what you mean.
Hi All!

I'm sure you're all incredibly clever clogs, but during application process for me the LSE website was a godsend - accurate and informative stuff about what they look for.

In other words, though a bit of deciphering is required in some places, it details how to structure the statement and application on the whole to maximise chances of acceptance.

I'm a current conditional firm applicant for 2016, anxiously awaiting results :eek: but if any of you have questions, or if you have anything you want to talk about, PM me :smile:

As I said, i'm sure you're all clever enough to work this out, but use the open day! LSE isn't for everyone.

If you do decide to apply (which I do recommend!) then use summer to read around the subject, draft a solid personal statement (esp. if applying for Oxbridge as well) and try and find friends in upper years to read through it :wink:

Put in the work now, and reap the rewards! Best of luck to you all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by redwhiteandbrit
Hi All!

I'm sure you're all incredibly clever clogs, but during application process for me the LSE website was a godsend - accurate and informative stuff about what they look for.

In other words, though a bit of deciphering is required in some places, it details how to structure the statement and application on the whole to maximise chances of acceptance.

I'm a current conditional firm applicant for 2016, anxiously awaiting results :eek: but if any of you have questions, or if you have anything you want to talk about, PM me :smile:

As I said, i'm sure you're all clever enough to work this out, but use the open day! LSE isn't for everyone.

If you do decide to apply (which I do recommend!) then use summer to read around the subject, draft a solid personal statement (esp. if applying for Oxbridge as well) and try and find friends in upper years to read through it :wink:

Put in the work now, and reap the rewards! Best of luck to you all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course did you apply to?

I've been researching the professors and the curriculum to draft my statement for what they are looking for, and I think i have a pretty good chance.

I will be applying for Accounting and Finance. My grades are way better than what they ask, and the exams should not be a problem, but i won't be taking maths at my Baccalaureate (A-level equivalent). Do you think that is a huge problem? I've always had good grades at maths and i understood is pretty easily. Do you reckon I have a chance if I explain it thoroughly and prove I have understanding of Maths at the level they are looking for?

I should say that they don't ask for Maths at A-level, but is recommended that you take it.
Original post by Lanthum
What course did you apply to?

I've been researching the professors and the curriculum to draft my statement for what they are looking for, and I think i have a pretty good chance.

I will be applying for Accounting and Finance. My grades are way better than what they ask, and the exams should not be a problem, but i won't be taking maths at my Baccalaureate (A-level equivalent). Do you think that is a huge problem? I've always had good grades at maths and i understood is pretty easily. Do you reckon I have a chance if I explain it thoroughly and prove I have understanding of Maths at the level they are looking for?

I should say that they don't ask for Maths at A-level, but is recommended that you take it.

Quite different for me - I applied for IR and History - but these general points should still be of some use.

I found researching modules was especially important. For my subjects in particular, it was crucial I was applying for the "right course" which meant I needed to show awareness and genuine interest for THEIR modules, as opposed to those at any other university. This may also help you :smile:

I can't speak for the admissions team, so take this with a pinch of salt. But if it is recommended as opposed to required, then taking it would give others potentially a higher chance of acceptance. That being said, with a solid statement and grades, that may offer an acceptable counterbalance. However, it is ultimately the jurisdiction of the admissions team :smile:
My GSCEs were not really that great but i'm hoping for good AS results.. straight Economics?? Is it really worth putting in the effort applying? :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by vocaloid
My GSCEs were not really that great but i'm hoping for good AS results.. straight Economics?? Is it really worth putting in the effort applying? :s-smilie:

Definitely apply if you have good AS grades.
Hi, I'm another offer holder like @redwhiteandbrit :smile:

Got an offer with good grades but not as amazing as some claim to have on here - in my experience it is the PS that matters!
Same here, friends :smile: I'm holding an unconditional (finally!) offer for Law. Pretty sure the PS was what got me through as well (:

And the Open Day was awesome! Definitely follow redwhiteandbrit's advice on this one - it made the decision between UCL & LSE so much easier for me.
Original post by lovecathy
Same here, friends :smile: I'm holding an unconditional (finally!) offer for Law. Pretty sure the PS was what got me through as well (:

And the Open Day was awesome! Definitely follow redwhiteandbrit's advice on this one - it made the decision between UCL & LSE so much easier for me.

Omg congratulations! IB?

Hopefully I'll see you around LSE then (just have to get mine first :eek:)
Original post by antigone-
Omg congratulations! IB?

Hopefully I'll see you around LSE then (just have to get mine first :eek:)

Yup :h: Thanks!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! (:
Original post by antigone-
Hi, I'm another offer holder like @redwhiteandbrit :smile:

Got an offer with good grades but not as amazing as some claim to have on here - in my experience it is the PS that matters!

Do you have any tips for writing the personal statement that you feel helped you get you a place at LSE?
Yup :h: Thanks!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! (:

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by romaiseb
Do you have any tips for writing the personal statement that you feel helped you get you a place at LSE?
I did some research into the course and mentioned an interest in certain topics I knew the course at LSE covered which I felt helped. I was part of the CHOICE summer school as well so a member of the admissions team did read one of my drafts so I was quite lucky! Just genuine enthusiasm and proof of interest really. I went to some of their public lectures and the Director of my course mentioned a particular social scientist he really liked so I mentioned a book by him as well. However I really did have my heart set on LSE so this kind of advice may not be useful if it's your second/third choice.
Hi, I am applying for law and currently I am studying History, French, Slovak, English and Social studies ( English and Slovak are compulsory in Slovakia, which is where I live) as for my extra-curricular activities, I am a volunteer at a law firm, I regulary help in a non-profit organization focused on disabled children and I am in the process of organizing a human rights seminar at my school.I am not 100 per cent sure how my grades compare to AS-levels but this year I had only one B and 13 As. I really hope I can get in :smile: and good luck to everyone applying I am sure we are all going to need it :smile: and congratulations to everyone on their this year's offers.
Reply 18
If anyone is doing Ma212, Ec201 and Ma211 can you pm me? Its so we can form a whats app group for joint study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Hamzi
If anyone is doing Ma212, Ec201 and Ma211 can you pm me? Its so we can form a whats app group for joint study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This thread is for applicants for next year. Sorry! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest