Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clunkles)
    I did well in my UKCAT (747.5 avg) so I'm going for Newcastle, Southampton, Kings and Barts
    So in my PS, I wrote about caring for my friend with BPD and chronic fatigue, HIV clinic, trolley service on wards, little bit about my dissertation (phosphate levels causing diabetes patients to have a greater incidence of CV disease), society roles (chair of Labour soc, so a lot of talking to people), part time officer at my SU, and then proper extracurriculars like instruments, sports, uni challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah that's a great score! I'm incredibly keen on Newcastle, I scored an average of 737.5 so I'm crossing my fingers it'll make the cut-off level for there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilithSternin)
    Ah that's a great score! I'm incredibly keen on Newcastle, I scored an average of 737.5 so I'm crossing my fingers it'll make the cut-off level for there!
    That's good too! I think we're both in with a shot for Newcastle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wciselko)
    I got 732.5 and at the stage of brainstorming for my personal statement! I think Newcastle and King's don't even read the statement before interviews. I'm appyling the same places mentioned (Newcastle, Southampton, King's and QM). I think we should get the ineterviews right? I am really counting on that.
    Confident(ish) for Newcastle and Southampton, Kings look at some other stuff and Barts looks at degrees 50:50 with UKCAT. I'll have a 1st predicted, but no masters or phd so feeling a bit shaky on that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just been told by my personal tutor that she's not allowed to provide a predicted degree class in references. This can't be right, can it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natha_Lite)
    Just been told by my personal tutor that she's not allowed to provide a predicted degree class in references. This can't be right, can it?
    My personal tutor did...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait, did you include some "to be completed" modules when you put your degree in on ucas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait, did you include some "to be completed" modules when you put your degree in on ucas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't sent her the reference request yet so it's not to do with the UCAS form. She just said she can't give me a predicted class because it's not 'fixed', whatever that means...

ReputationRep:
    I haven't sent her the reference request yet so it's not to do with the UCAS form. She just said she can't give me a predicted class because it's not 'fixed', whatever that means...
    Idk what to say then! My personal tutor was pretty chill with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For those going into their third year this September, when you filled in your education section under your degree did you input all the modules you have done to date? And if so, when asked about the result did you simply just type in the percentage?

Also, when is the latest we can send the reference request to our personal tutor/referee? Would it be before we send off our application next month?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmyBEAUT)
    For those going into their third year this September, when you filled in your education section under your degree did you input all the modules you have done to date? And if so, when asked about the result did you simply just type in the percentage?

Also, when is the latest we can send the reference request to our personal tutor/referee? Would it be before we send off our application next month?
    Yes, I just put the percentages down, and included next (this?) years modules with "pending" as the grade. I would advise sending off your reference request asap, academics are generally really busy and it'll be a good hour or two of their time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I just put the percentages down, and included next (this?) years modules with "pending" as the grade. I would advise sending off your reference request asap, academics are generally really busy and it'll be a good hour or two of their time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    For Newcastle and any other uni who requires evidence of sustained academic endeavours, does anyone have any idea who we prove that? I did my gamsat last year, do they get the results for that even if they're not a gamsat uni? Should I just mention it in my PS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanderlust&Tea)
    For Newcastle and any other uni who requires evidence of sustained academic endeavours, does anyone have any idea who we prove that? I did my gamsat last year, do they get the results for that even if they're not a gamsat uni? Should I just mention it in my PS?
    If you've completed a degree in the last 3 years that counts as well I think? If not, yeah just include it on your PS. Is there a place you can write it in on your UCAS application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you've completed a degree in the last 3 years that counts as well (I emailed them). If not, yeah just include it on your PS. Is there a place you can write it in on your UCAS application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, cocked up the edit there #mobileissues

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you've completed a degree in the last 3 years that counts as well I think? If not, yeah just include it on your PS. Is there a place you can write it in on your UCAS application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I graduated in 2011 and I can't find anywhere to put it in the form. Ugh. That's not going to be awkward to write about at all, particularly since I'm applying to 2 gamsat unis too. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanderlust&Tea)
    I graduated in 2011 and I can't find anywhere to put it in the form. Ugh. That's not going to be awkward to write about at all, particularly since I'm applying to 2 gamsat unis too. :P
    Aw mate, you could drop them an email and ask? They got back to me within a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Looking for some advice on applications based on my UKCAT score

I got 2710 (677.5 avg) Band 1 which is obviously not as high as I was hoping for.

I was looking at applying to Barts, Newcastle and Warwick as these are my only options due to a non science degree and a levels.

Is it even worth applying with this score or should I forget about it this year.

Outside of the UKCAT i've got a 1st in Biological Psychology, 2+ years working as a HCA, a weeks shadowing (psychiatrist), and hopes and dreams

Any advice very welcome...
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where we can get a list of what our reference needs to say? Also, do they give it to us and we put it on UCAS or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHSFan)
    For Birmingham, you have to have already graduated at the time of application, so you can't apply when in your third year, unfortunately.
    Hey! I'm a third year biomedical scientist at Southampton too

Kings, Newcastle and Southampton would be good choices if you have a high UKCAT. Warwick require 70 hours of work experience over the last two years so if you have less than that I'd recommend avoiding there.
    Thanks guys

Also, I'm just starting my UCAS application and I was wondering if anybody knew if we apply through an organisation or as an individual now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPT95)
    Thanks guys

Also, I'm just starting my UCAS application and I was wondering if anybody knew if we apply through an organisation or as an individual now?
    Individual I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.