The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2440
Hi, is it possible for there to be a 12 mark on types of conformity; including internalisation and compliance? If so, can someone please help with what to write for ao1 and ao2, thanks.
can someone please explained what Moscovici did for social influence - minority please
Would outlining and evaluating Ellis' ABC model in detail be enough for a 12 marker? I don't know what Beck is about!? Can someone summarise it pleaaaaase!!
Original post by Wajeeha Qureshi
Hi everyone!

I am doing AQA psychology and i just found this thread. We have unit 2 exam tomorrow. Can i ask you all a question...

What do u guys think will be the 12/8 markers this year? I was going through past papers just want your opnion. I doubt stress because stress questions have come before (in 2014 and 2013).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a very strong feeling for the Biological/Psychodynamic Approach to abnormality or Stress and the Immune system - as already mentioned AQA like to trick and all these essays are long overdue - I can only hope one of these do actually appear.

I don't believe Social Influence will, the max will be an 8 but leaning towards a 6 possibly in my opinion
Original post by yasx_
Hi, is it possible for there to be a 12 mark on types of conformity; including internalisation and compliance? If so, can someone please help with what to write for ao1 and ao2, thanks.

No I'm pretty sure that can't come up
Original post by tuttu97
Would outlining and evaluating Ellis' ABC model in detail be enough for a 12 marker? I don't know what Beck is about!? Can someone summarise it pleaaaaase!!

Beck's 1979 model of depression-states there are 3 negative schemata needed to cause depression-negative triad:
-negative view of self-e.g. I am unlovable
-negative view of the world-e.g. it is a hostile place
-negative view of the future-e.g. I will always be in emotional pain
Depression is seeing negative events as global, internal and stable and positive events as external, specific and unstable
Could someone help me with fully developed AO2 points on the psychodynamic and biological approach? Finding it quite difficult :frown:
do you guy think we can get a 12 marker on minority influence?
Original post by tuttu97
I think for 12 markers, they might go for stress and immune system to throw us off because like you said, we won't be expecting it to be on stress again; or it'll be abnormality, and my best bet is biological but there's a chance of cognitive too. I guess we'll find out tomorrow! Good luck everyone :smile:

OMG... what do u write about stress and immune system. I mean dont go into the details just some ideas please... anyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sadiariya
Beck's 1979 model of depression-states there are 3 negative schemata needed to cause depression-negative triad:
-negative view of self-e.g. I am unlovable
-negative view of the world-e.g. it is a hostile place
-negative view of the future-e.g. I will always be in emotional pain
Depression is seeing negative events as global, internal and stable and positive events as external, specific and unstable

Thank you!!! If I included this + Ellis' ABC model in A01 and evaluated only Ellis for A02 in detail, could I still get the marks?
This is very helpful for Minority Influence...

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMG... what do u write about stress and immune system. I mean dont go into the details just some ideas please... anyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could talk about Brady's study about executive monkeys. He found that executive monkeys were more likely to develop SRI b/c the stress from postponing the shocks reduced their immune system's ability to fight diseases

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

One study you could is Keicolt Glaser et al. (condensed version):
Natural experiment with medical students.
Asessed immune system functioning by collecting blood samples and measuring NK cell activity. Did this 1 month before their exam and during exam period.
Found immune system activity significantly reduced from blood sample during exam period compared to 1 month before.
This suggests short-term stressors reduce immune-system functioning.

A02 would be things like:
+ Natural exp. with real-life stressful situation so high ecological validity
- Students = low representativeness
- Health can be affected by other factors
- Cannot establish cause and effect (does stress cause illness or illness cause stress?)

Another study is also by Keicolt Glaser et al.
Lab experiment with married couples.
Gave them blister wounds on their arms.
Found couples showing high levels of hostile behaviour during interactions healed at 60% of the rate of couples showing low levels of hostility.
This suggests stress reduces immune-system functioning and negatively impacts wound-healing.

A02 would be like:
- Unethical because blister wounds were deliberate + the couple were made to argue on purpose
- Lab exp. so Hawthorne effect
+ Arguments are realistic
Original post by tuttu97
Thank you!!! If I included this + Ellis' ABC model in A01 and evaluated only Ellis for A02 in detail, could I still get the marks?

You won't get a question on Ellis, it will be the cognitive approach so you will need to evaluate the approach as a whole, not just the ABC model or you won't get the full AO2 marks
Original post by tuttu97
One study you could is Keicolt Glaser et al. (condensed version):
Natural experiment with medical students.
Asessed immune system functioning by collecting blood samples and measuring NK cell activity. Did this 1 month before their exam and during exam period.
Found immune system activity significantly reduced from blood sample during exam period compared to 1 month before.
This suggests short-term stressors reduce immune-system functioning.

A02 would be things like:
+ Natural exp. with real-life stressful situation so high ecological validity
- Students = low representativeness
- Health can be affected by other factors
- Cannot establish cause and effect (does stress cause illness or illness cause stress?)

Another study is also by Keicolt Glaser et al.
Lab experiment with married couples.
Gave them blister wounds on their arms.
Found couples showing high levels of hostile behaviour during interactions healed at 60% of the rate of couples showing low levels of hostility.
This suggests stress reduces immune-system functioning and negatively impacts wound-healing.

A02 would be like:
- Unethical because blister wounds were deliberate + the couple were made to argue on purpose
- Lab exp. so Hawthorne effect
+ Arguments are realistic

Thank you so much!!! :smile: this was really helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone just quickly, summarise everything that is needed to remember for Biological Psychology(STRESS)..
All the topics basically.. Thanks in advance:smile:
Original post by DMaster1
Thank you. I hadn't thought of that. When you say cost to one's personal integrity it made me also think about those with very strong moral or religious beliefs.

Ahaha, yes that came to my mind also :smile:
Short term and long term response to stress
Immune system
stress related illness
life changes
daily hassles
workplace stress
personality factors-type A/B
personality factors-hardiness
stress management-psychological
stress management-biological 😊
Original post by anism786
Can anyone just quickly, summarise everything that is needed to remember for Biological Psychology(STRESS)..
All the topics basically.. Thanks in advance:smile:

Sorry i didn't reply to your comment with it but i put it in my last reply
Who's ready to ace this exam !!?? XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending