The Student Room Group

Step Up to Social Work 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Rose 73
Hi Donna, I am waiting for the same and I still have not heard a word :mad:

I'd give them a call today if I were you, it's going to be so short notice if it's this week! I really hope this gets sorted for you :confused:
Reply 281
I have rang them every day since I was told Thursday was cancelled. Spoke to them this morning, they can say it will be this week but cannot give me a date yet or venue. My boss is going mad!!
Reply 282
Original post by Donnaj
I have rang them every day since I was told Thursday was cancelled. Spoke to them this morning, they can say it will be this week but cannot give me a date yet or venue. My boss is going mad!!

Same here - I am seriously thinking of making an official complaint. Also it has really soured what I was very much looking forward to. Its possible my boss won't agree to me attending if theres no notice. I don't know where that leaves me, but I am going to take some advice.
Reply 283
I find this a little bit worrying! and I'm assuming that if they are still interviewing for greater Manchester, then we won't find out a result for a good couple of weeks! If they are getting people mixed up and cancelling dates etc, then how will they know who's who ?? !!
Reply 284
It seems really unfair on all people affected by this. I was nervous enough when I knew the date and had time to prepare so I think I would not perform my best with this hanging over me and such short notice.

I hope it is resolved soon and doesn't have a detrimental effect on anyone going through the process.
Reply 285
Original post by MDaisy
I find this a little bit worrying! and I'm assuming that if they are still interviewing for greater Manchester, then we won't find out a result for a good couple of weeks! If they are getting people mixed up and cancelling dates etc, then how will they know who's who ?? !!

I guess we know we won't be hearing this week seeing as they haven't interviewed everyone. I'm wondering how many people have been affected by this - if there aren't very many people in the additional assessment centre it's going to be a completely different dynamic - especially for the group task - which doesn't really put everyone on equal footing. It also makes our chances slightly worse if there are now more than 36 people competing for 19 places (unless there were less people on the other days...).
Original post by takemethere
I guess we know we won't be hearing this week seeing as they haven't interviewed everyone. I'm wondering how many people have been affected by this - if there aren't very many people in the additional assessment centre it's going to be a completely different dynamic - especially for the group task - which doesn't really put everyone on equal footing. It also makes our chances slightly worse if there are now more than 36 people competing for 19 places (unless there were less people on the other days...).

How many were at your centre? We had just 12 at ours and I think only three assessment days were held. However there are 29 places in the LTP so I think the earlier days may have had more candidates than ours ( we were the last day)
Reply 287
Original post by Winstonsone
How many were at your centre? We had just 12 at ours and I think only three assessment days were held. However there are 29 places in the LTP so I think the earlier days may have had more candidates than ours ( we were the last day)

There were 12 people at mine too and we were told that there were only 36 people attending the assessment days for 19 places in the Greater Manchester Partnership. I'm not sure if everyone who has had problems is included in that 36 or not - but thinking about it the local authorities thought they had short listed 36 candidates so really they should be despite the mix ups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 288
Original post by takemethere
There were 12 people at mine too and we were told that there were only 36 people attending the assessment days for 19 places in the Greater Manchester Partnership. I'm not sure if everyone who has had problems is included in that 36 or not - but thinking about it the local authorities thought they had short listed 36 candidates so really they should be despite the mix ups.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were 12 on our assessment day too! Yeah it does seem like it could be unfair :-( who knows how many other people got told it was cancelled who are not on here? ! X
Reply 289
Original post by deankb1
It seems really unfair on all people affected by this. I was nervous enough when I knew the date and had time to prepare so I think I would not perform my best with this hanging over me and such short notice.

I hope it is resolved soon and doesn't have a detrimental effect on anyone going through the process.

This is precisely the issue I have tried to explain to Penna. No one is going to do their best when they are 1. Annoyed 2. Had no notice 3. Stressing about the childcare 4. Potentially in a different dynamic from other groups as someone else pointed out earlier.

There is a total lack of reasonable communication. You leave messages, no one gets back. You say you need notice, you get a text saying come tomorrow.

To be truthful, I am doubting this is actually going to happen now. It seems entirely possible they have filled their allocation from the folks already seen and this would explain the reluctance to bother arranging another day. This is of course completely unfair and they have chosen the wrong person to do this to if I turn out to be correct in my cynical assumptions.......
Reply 290
Penna seemed to get confused about quite a bit regarding assesment centres I know a few people on my day including me were told that the location had changed... It was only through emailing and then calling that I was topd the lady made a mistake apparently other people did this too an some just turned up at the original location hoping for the best. Made it very stressful as the two locations they have we're a pod 45mins apart.worked out ok in the end for us but obviously not for other regional partnerships!
hope it works out for you all though. I know we were told we would hear something week commencing the 8th so sometime next week hopefully. Winstone ill let you know if I hear anything! Good luck everyone!
Reply 291
Original post by Rose 73
This is precisely the issue I have tried to explain to Penna. No one is going to do their best when they are 1. Annoyed 2. Had no notice 3. Stressing about the childcare 4. Potentially in a different dynamic from other groups as someone else pointed out earlier.

There is a total lack of reasonable communication. You leave messages, no one gets back. You say you need notice, you get a text saying come tomorrow.

To be truthful, I am doubting this is actually going to happen now. It seems entirely possible they have filled their allocation from the folks already seen and this would explain the reluctance to bother arranging another day. This is of course completely unfair and they have chosen the wrong person to do this to if I turn out to be correct in my cynical assumptions.......

Have you contacted the DfE? I'm wondering how aware they are of the mistakes Penna has made. You could also try contacting the local authority you applied for. They chose to shortlist your application and no doubt they will want to interview you.
Original post by AAthert
Penna seemed to get confused about quite a bit regarding assesment centres I know a few people on my day including me were told that the location had changed... It was only through emailing and then calling that I was topd the lady made a mistake apparently other people did this too an some just turned up at the original location hoping for the best. Made it very stressful as the two locations they have we're a pod 45mins apart.worked out ok in the end for us but obviously not for other regional partnerships!
hope it works out for you all though. I know we were told we would hear something week commencing the 8th so sometime next week hopefully. Winstone ill let you know if I hear anything! Good luck everyone!

Ooh yeah keep in touch!! The waiting game is stressful...just twiddling my thumbs waiting to hear so I can make some decisions about what to do with my life...lol! Xx
Reply 293
Hi all,

i am due to attend an assessment day on Monday. I sat my gcse's in 2000 (yes, I'm very old) and somewhere in the last 13 years I have misplaced these certificates. I have my degree certificate and full break down of my grades over the 3 years at uni. I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat and what they were doing?

- I have called my school and they were pretty unhelpful
- I have called the exam boards and they said that due to the amount of time passed they it will take a month to resolve

thanks,
geo
Reply 294
Original post by Geo84
Hi all,<br />
<br />
i am due to attend an assessment day on Monday. I sat my gcse's in 2000 (yes, I'm very old) and somewhere in the last 13 years I have misplaced these certificates. I have my degree certificate and full break down of my grades over the 3 years at uni. I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat and what they were doing?<br />
<br />
- I have called my school and they were pretty unhelpful<br />
- I have called the exam boards and they said that due to the amount of time passed they it will take a month to resolve<br />
<br />
thanks,<br />
geo
<br />
<br />

Lol you're not that old, in face you must be s good 3 years younger than me. I had completely lost my GCSE certificates and struggled to find out who the examining board was. Have you done any key skills or functional skills since your GCSE's? I was able to provide other evidence that should equivalent qualifications so didn't need the GCSE certificates.

Hope this helps, as I understand it they aren't very sympathetic if you don't have them.

Dean
Reply 295
Geo

I sat my GCSEs in 1988 and I don't have the certificates, I'm pretty certain I never bothered collecting them, senior school was not a great experience for me.

I spoke to Penna and they said I should take a copy of the exam board application form for certified results (in my case AQA) duly completed to the assessment centre, this I did and they seemed happy with that. AQA take around 28 days to respond, although I did also request a copy of another certificate from EdExcel and that only took a week.
Woop woop, just heardI got a place :smile: xx
Original post by Simply social
Woop woop, just heardI got a place :smile: xx

Oh wow! Congratulations...you must be so pleased, well done! Did you get an email or phone call? X
Original post by Winstonsone
Oh wow! Congratulations...you must be so pleased, well done! Did you get an email or phone call? X

Thanks I am ecstatic. Got a phone call this afternoon :smile: xx
Original post by Simply social
Thanks I am ecstatic. Got a phone call this afternoon :smile: xx

Well done what a relief :smile: I only hope they put me out of my misery sooner rather than later!! Hopefully LTP candidates will hear soon. Good luck everyone😬

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending