The Student Room Group

Part time degree and job queries in the NHS

So I am studying with the Open University, absolutely love it. BUT I was wondering does your job need to be related, I want to work in the NHS, but trying to find a part time role because full time will be too much and most the jobs in the NHS requirements are 7-6:30 which would be perfectly fine if I didn't have a degree to dedicate 16 hours too ... But was just wondering because I had a job offer in the health sector and they were requiring a ton of time that wouldn't allow me to even scrap 16 hours per week, so I am thinking of applying for something in education, which is 8-2/3 until I finish my degree and then get a full time job in the NHS, when I can dedicate my time to that job. I was just wondering what any of your guys advice, and does the degree need to relate to the job or is it just job sector experience until you complete this degree. Please HELP I feel like I am wasting time, I am so passionate about the NHS but I want to make sure I am dedicating the right amount of time to my degree because that's the only way I will get into it.
What is it you want to do after your degree?

You can do whatever you like during your degree, but obviously afterwards depending what role you want to go into they may want relevant work experience.
Reply 2
Original post by wildkids05
So I am studying with the Open University, absolutely love it. BUT I was wondering does your job need to be related, I want to work in the NHS, but trying to find a part time role because full time will be too much and most the jobs in the NHS requirements are 7-6:30 which would be perfectly fine if I didn't have a degree to dedicate 16 hours too ... But was just wondering because I had a job offer in the health sector and they were requiring a ton of time that wouldn't allow me to even scrap 16 hours per week, so I am thinking of applying for something in education, which is 8-2/3 until I finish my degree and then get a full time job in the NHS, when I can dedicate my time to that job. I was just wondering what any of your guys advice, and does the degree need to relate to the job or is it just job sector experience until you complete this degree. Please HELP I feel like I am wasting time, I am so passionate about the NHS but I want to make sure I am dedicating the right amount of time to my degree because that's the only way I will get into it.

Your post confuses me a little. Your current job doesn’t have to relate to your degree but depending what you plan to do in the future you might need experience to get onto training programs.

What route are you wanting to take within the NHS?

I work for the NHS and find studying alongside fine. Many roles have part time options, you usually select this when applying and can negotiate after interview.
Reply 3
Original post by lem18
Your post confuses me a little. Your current job doesn’t have to relate to your degree but depending what you plan to do in the future you might need experience to get onto training programs.

I work for the NHS and find studying alongside fine. Many roles have part time options, you usually select this when applying and can negotiate after interview.

I see. Apologies so basically at the OU they require 16 hours of studying per week. But all the jobs I have applied to say Part time but in the interview they say full time, I am a bit confused as to why.

I want to be a Physician Associate.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
What is it you want to do after your degree?

You can do whatever you like during your degree, but obviously afterwards depending what role you want to go into they may want relevant work experience.

I would like to be a Physician Associate after my degree and I have had work experience in the NHS, my job currently is in a primary school, but was just worried that working there is not going to allow me to progress to be a physician associate in the end, but again it's the only job in my area allowing my part time work and allowing my just 16 hours studying per week. So I don't want to ruin my chances of becoming a NHS staff member but I also need to pass this degree to get into this role. So was a bit lost.

It's good to hear there is no need for it to be related to the role you want to do in the future. Thanks so much for your reply and apologies if it wasn't clear. I was stressed writing.
I would like to be a Physician Associate after my degree and I have had work experience in the NHS, my job currently is in a primary school, but was just worried that working there is not going to allow me to progress to be a physician associate in the end, but again it's the only job in my area allowing my part time work and allowing my just 16 hours studying per week. So I don't want to ruin my chances of becoming a NHS staff member but I also need to pass this degree to get into this role. So was a bit lost.

It's good to hear there is no need for it to be related to the role you want to do in the future. Thanks so much for your reply and apologies if it wasn't clear. I was stressed writing.

I think you misunderstood what I said - there isn't any need for it to be related to your degree, it's up to you where you work. However for certain roles, they may expect related experience, depending on what it is you want to do.

For PA (or medicine or any health professions degree really) you will eventually need a certain amount of work experience in a caring role normally, similar to medicine. I don't think this is necessarily extensive (although some providers may want more extensive experience) and may also include e.g. volunteering at a care home/hospice, St Johns Ambulance, and short term work experience and shadowing experiences.

You'll need to check exactly what they require. Note usually they look for this to be "recent" experience within a year or two of applying to the course so depending on what intensity you're studying your degree at, you may not need to immediately start making those arrangements.
Reply 6
Original post by lem18

I see. Apologies so basically at the OU they require 16 hours of studying per week. But all the jobs I have applied to say Part time but in the interview they say full time, I am a bit confused as to why.

I mean the study you do and your time management isn’t completely restricted, you have weekends and evenings per say. (Obviously different times with shift work) Depending on your degree (I’m doing a OU too) you might not do 16 hours one week, you may do more one and less another etc etc. It’s all about balancing it out. But if you really want to get an NHS job to get your foot in the door I really don’t see why you couldn’t just because of your study. Keep looking something will pop up.

Also this might be helpful for you :smile:
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/medical-associate-professions/roles-medical-associate-professions/physician-associate
Reply 7

I am a current Physician associate student and I also worked in education as teaching assistant alongside my OU degree.
I also had about a year experience working with a lady with disabilities.

Most PA courses require 2.1 or 2.2 with experience in healthcare.
I ended up with a 1st and still took me 3 application cycles to get a place! So be aware it is very competitive and try to get the best degree classification you can and also healthcare experience.

I will also say the course is VERY intense, you would maybe be able to work a few hours alongside if you had no other commitments (such as children)
Also another thing to be aware of is that the post graduate loan does not cover the full tuition fees. You have to pay the shortfall which is around £8k, although this may change with regulation.

Don't let this put you off if it's what you have your heart set on though as its an amazing course! Just be prepared to put in lots of time and hard work.
Reply 8
Original post by Jotenno
I am a current Physician associate student and I also worked in education as teaching assistant alongside my OU degree.
I also had about a year experience working with a lady with disabilities.
Most PA courses require 2.1 or 2.2 with experience in healthcare.
I ended up with a 1st and still took me 3 application cycles to get a place! So be aware it is very competitive and try to get the best degree classification you can and also healthcare experience.
I will also say the course is VERY intense, you would maybe be able to work a few hours alongside if you had no other commitments (such as children)
Also another thing to be aware of is that the post graduate loan does not cover the full tuition fees. You have to pay the shortfall which is around £8k, although this may change with regulation.
Don't let this put you off if it's what you have your heart set on though as its an amazing course! Just be prepared to put in lots of time and hard work.
Thanks for sharing.
This helped a lot. Yeh I do want to do it. But of course it's impossible in my area near London to get experience in the NHS! So at the moment I will just work in education and in the holidays try and get experience. I don't understand why it's so hard for some businesses to understand your studying and not offer you part time!

Most courses are competitive in my opinion it's not worth doing if it's easy to get into. Thanks for sharing this and good luck with your course:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending