The Student Room Group

2 year MSc Occupational Therapy course or 3 Year Bsc Adult Nursing?

Hi. I'm a graduate and I'm 22. I missed the deadline for the 2 year MSc Nursing course. So now I must choose between a 2 year MSc in Occupational Therapy or 3 year Bsc in Adult Nursing. These are pre registration courses.

Is it worth the extra year to do Nursing? I know I can progress and move into surgical care practitioner etc but is it worth the year? Also I can work bank shifts while studying which is a pro.

Is Occupational therapy something I can find jobs abroad in the future? And will it have progression?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Student_57s
Hi. I'm a graduate and I'm 22. I missed the deadline for the 2 year MSc Nursing course. So now I must choose between a 2 year MSc in Occupational Therapy or 3 year Bsc in Adult Nursing. These are pre registration courses.

Is it worth the extra year to do Nursing? I know I can progress and move into surgical care practitioner etc but is it worth the year? Also I can work bank shifts while studying which is a pro.

Is Occupational therapy something I can find jobs abroad in the future? And will it have progression?

If you want to do nursing, then yes you're far better off doing the extra year for nursing and not bothering with OT course.
If, however, you don't really want to be a nurse and actually want to be an occupational therapist... don't do the nursing degree.
There is progression in occupational therapy as well as nursing.
Although they are both caring professions, they are very different. Nursing has a focus on caring for people, whereas occupational therapy is about empowering and enabling people to do things for themselves so to speak.
Perhaps you could do work experience of both to compare, most people are drawn to one or the other and seeing/experiencing it in the flesh could assist you in deciding.
Failing that, you could work as either a healthcare or OT assistant for 6 months to see if you actually like it. NHS jobs has lots of bank (temporary) jobs on both fields.
One university near me has two in takes for the MSc nursing so perhaps look at other uni's.
Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending