The Student Room Group

Do I Still Have a Enough Time For Revision?

Scroll to see replies

I have one A2 and 3AS resits (i got Bs, i want As :biggrin:) Im gonna start revising at the end of the week :biggrin:
OP- one day of revision is enough- ive tried and tested this for GCSE exams AS exams and A2 mock exams
Reply 21
Original post by Iepnauy
Yes...

You can do revision in a week if you're efficient.

I second this. It's all about HOW you revise, not how long you revise. For example, loads of people say "I'll work for an hour, then have a break". Don't do this- it's much more efficient to say "I'll do this task, then have a break" as the break motivates you to work faster. When you set yourself a time period, you just inevitably end up not really working at all, but skim reading a text-book.

Note-taking is also a hideously inefficient form of revision when you just copy from the text book. For sciencey subjects and stuff like economics and psychology, use flashcards and put a question on the front and an answer on the back. For essay subjects, grab a stack of old past papers and bullet point plans for each essay question.

If you have a busy day and you're out and about, make sure to take some revision materials with you. Record the key points on your ipod listen to them on the bus, go over some flashcards when you're standing in a queue.

Finally, make sure you learn exam technique, as this will gain you valuable marks in the exam. For subjects like maths, I would honestly just skip "revision" altogether and do as many past papers and questions as you can feasibly get your hands on. Last January I was failing C1 past papers and crying over my homework (yes I am both a wimp and fairly bad at maths)- I did about 12 past papers in the two weeks before the exam and was getting As by the end (and also got a solid A in the exam)
Reply 22
Original post by Awesomesauce
True, but this requires epic skill. I have no idea how to revise truely efficiently. It is like an art, which is why I started revision months ago.

Fair point :wink:.

To be fair, I don't learn much in school, I pretty much self-teach all my subjects. But I've only done light revision over the last couple of weeks. More revision will come over the holidays :smile:.

But the question was whether there was enough time, there is :wink: doesn't mean that I'm one of those people that can revise concisely :colondollar:
Reply 23
Original post by riotgrrl
I second this. It's all about HOW you revise, not how long you revise. For example, loads of people say "I'll work for an hour, then have a break". Don't do this- it's much more efficient to say "I'll do this task, then have a break" as the break motivates you to work faster. When you set yourself a time period, you just inevitably end up not really working at all, but skim reading a text-book.

Note-taking is also a hideously inefficient form of revision when you just copy from the text book. For sciencey subjects and stuff like economics and psychology, use flashcards and put a question on the front and an answer on the back. For essay subjects, grab a stack of old past papers and bullet point plans for each essay question.

If you have a busy day and you're out and about, make sure to take some revision materials with you. Record the key points on your ipod listen to them on the bus, go over some flashcards when you're standing in a queue.

Finally, make sure you learn exam technique, as this will gain you valuable marks in the exam. For subjects like maths, I would honestly just skip "revision" altogether and do as many past papers and questions as you can feasibly get your hands on. Last January I was failing C1 past papers and crying over my homework (yes I am both a wimp and fairly bad at maths)- I did about 12 past papers in the two weeks before the exam and was getting As by the end (and also got a solid A in the exam)

Really helpful information, thanks
Reply 24
Original post by Iepnauy
Fair point :wink:.

To be fair, I don't learn much in school, I pretty much self-teach all my subjects. But I've only done light revision over the last couple of weeks. More revision will come over the holidays :smile:.

But the question was whether there was enough time, there is :wink: doesn't mean that I'm one of those people that can revise concisely :colondollar:

Seriously only light revision so far? You have some really hard subjects.
Original post by Abused Tampon
wtf, are u serious..

as if people have started before they've even broken up for holidays :s-smilie: I didn't start till new years last year and managed 3 As comfortably.
Reply 26
Haven't started properly and I'm doing A2's. You got plenty of time, just structure it well and make sure you do the work properly, not half-heartedly.

I'll start monday.... I just have an annoying fever, so I can't read and concentrate for 5 minutes without my brain going jelly.
I have one A2 exam (a resit) and haven't started revising for it yet. I'm such a fool. I plan to do loads over the Christmas break, but I probably won't...you should have enough time though. For some of my AS exams I did little bits of revision then did loads like a week before the exam. Probably not the most organised way to do it, but it got me the grades I wanted. Mostly. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest