The Student Room Group

Best army in history?

Scroll to see replies

spartans!!!!!!

or early muslim armies (i mean they had even conquered half of france and they started from a city in the desert)

or mongols (these bastards were nuts)
I'm gunna go for the British Army during World War 2, mainly to be patriotic :biggrin:
The Tartan army that rocks all over the world!
Original post by robin22391
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

simo hayha the greatest marksman of all time, rambo is a boy scout after this guy.

He took out 500 to 800 russians in 100 days.

Let's not forget the effort the Russians went through to try and kill the guy as well.

And that he had nearly no formal military training.
Reply 24
Original post by nuodai
Finland in the 1939-40 Winter War:

More because of Stalin's purge than the strength of the Finnish army.
Reply 26
Black Army of Hungary
Reply 27
In terms of size: The Red Army.

In terms of effectiveness: probably the Roman or Spartan Army.
Reply 28
The north Vietnamese deserve to be mentioned.
INDIAN!
I would say the early Muslims. They conquered one third of the WORLD, almost everything between Spain and China. They destroyed the two superpowers at that time, the Romans and the Persians and their commander in chief was probably the most influential person in human history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100
Reply 31
Original post by Jim Pansen
I would say the early Muslims. They conquered one third of the WORLD, almost everything between Spain and China. They destroyed the two superpowers at that time, the Romans and the Persians and their commander in chief was probably the most influential person in human history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100

It wasn't a third of the world. Middle East, North Africa and Spain /= 1/3 of the world. They conquered the Persians but they didn't conquer the Romans.

The Macedonians under Alexander and the mid-late armies of Rome were the best military forces.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
It has to be the Romans!
Reply 34
Santa and his army of elves. Merry Christmas.
Original post by LonelyCenturion
It wasn't a third of the world. Middle East, North Africa and Spain /= 1/3 of the world. They conquered the Persians but they didn't conquer the Romans.

The Macedonians under Alexander and the mid-late armies of Rome were the best military forces.

You're absolutely right. They conquered one-third of the then inhabited world.

I never said the Muslims conquered the whole of the Roman Empire. Europe would be Muslim, if that had happened. They did however conquer the imperial capital of the Roman Empire - Constantinople, and destroyed the East Roman Empire (Byzantines).

The Prussian Napoleonic Army under Clausewitz is also worth mentioning.
(edited 13 years ago)
Rome post-Marius. Legions mean business, brah.

Finland c. 1939 is also a very, very good choice.
Original post by 4TSR
:rofl: yea right!

They did kick ass.. took down the biggest empire with ease (persia)

300 120: the indian version
Original post by impressionist89
INDIAN!

The got raped by China.

Indo-sino war.

Pure rape.

Molested.

Ended.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending