The Student Room Group

Which cadet force should I join

I'm interested in joining the CCF but I can't decide between RAF or Army. Any suggestions/advice? Thanks!
Reply 1
Visit them, see what they do and decide yourself.

Other people's experience of Cadets will be different as as some organisations are very proactive, some just do the basics, dependent on staff and resources.
Original post by pocketghost
I'm interested in joining the CCF but I can't decide between RAF or Army. Any suggestions/advice? Thanks!

If your not a fan of pressups and situps, then go raf.
Original post by pocketghost
Hi, I was in a CCF and my mates were in the ACF. Would 100% go for the ACF, in my CCF we went on exercise probably once every 4 months whereas my ACF mates would be going out every month and be given loads of responsibility. Better for growth. If your thinking of doing something harder and depending on where your based you could go for the Royal Marines Cadets? don't know anyone who is a part of it so might be worth doing some research. The Air cadets seems fun also since they do a lot of glider stuff.
Reply 4
If you’re planning on joining one or the other services as a career, then the choice of which CCF element to join is a no brainer. However, if you’re just looking for an extra curricular activity for personal development and to learn new skills, then you have to research which would be best suited for you. As @Surnia advised, find out which pupils are in either the Army or RAF section, and speak to them about the activities they do and what they think about their unit. If your school has a newsletter / magazine, it may have reports from the CCF sections, so read those. My school did.

FWIW, I spent 3 happy years in the RAF section of my school’s CCF , going on Easter and Summer camps at both RAF and Army bases, did air experience flights twice a year and got my gliding wings at 16. My pal recently sent me a black and white picture of a camp at RAF Machrihanish in the early 70s and he pointed out the little runt standing next to me, together with a link to the Wikipedia page about him.This little runt became an Admiral and the RNs second highest officer!
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest