The Student Room Group

Maths at Warwick or Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ttoby
Cambridge certainly care about the personal statement although of course they would be mostly interested in the stuff that relates to maths. It wouldn't have to be spectacular - things such as a bronze maths challenge performance or mentioning a book you read are useful to them.

For Warwick, yes, they would probably not pay as much attention given their standard offer. I don't know as much about Oxford and Imperial but it's likely that they would be interested in the personal statement.

Define 'care'. Unless someone has solved Riemann's Hypothesis in the PS. or has sworn in it, I'm not sure it would ever sway an admissions decision.*

*I'm ignoring putting in things like doing well in BMO1/2, which do go into the PS, but then they're tangible achievements and there really should be other places to be able to put things like that.
Original post by DickDastardly
oxford, warwick is a boring dive with nothing to do as an area

Hey! I live in Warwick!

...yeah, you're probably right.
Reply 22
Original post by shamika
Define 'care'. Unless someone has solved Riemann's Hypothesis in the PS. or has sworn in it, I'm not sure it would ever sway an admissions decision.*

*I'm ignoring putting in things like doing well in BMO1/2, which do go into the PS, but then they're tangible achievements and there really should be other places to be able to put things like that.

I'm basing this on feedback I received when I applied a few years ago. They acknowledged things like books I mentioned (only the ones I talked about at length, not the ones I just listed), maths challenge etc. Probably also UMS marks but I can't remember exactly what they said. Based on that, they put me in their top group of candidates prior to interviewing me. Then they interviewed me and I didn't really handle the questions that well and I was rejected.
Reply 23
Original post by ttoby
I'm basing this on feedback I received when I applied a few years ago. They acknowledged things like books I mentioned (only the ones I talked about at length, not the ones I just listed), maths challenge etc. Probably also UMS marks but I can't remember exactly what they said. Based on that, they put me in their top group of candidates prior to interviewing me. Then they interviewed me and I didn't really handle the questions that well and I was rejected.

I'm pretty sure your UMS / other contextual information would've put you in that ranking rather than your PS. And as you said, you were in the top group of candidates prior interview but were still rejected based on interview performance.

EDIT: see this post where I ask the Corpus Christi admissions tutor for confirmation...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by paradoxicalme
Hey! I live in Warwick!

...yeah, you're probably right.

Except that Warwick (university) is not in, or even particularly near to Warwick (town).
Original post by BlueSam3
Except that Warwick (university) is not in, or even particularly near to Warwick (town).

I live on the outskirts of Warwick, it's a 15-minute drive. Plus the area around warwick uni is basically as dead as warwick itself :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by paradoxicalme
I live on the outskirts of Warwick, it's a 15-minute drive. Plus the area around warwick uni is basically as dead as warwick itself :smile:

"Dead" isn't the word I'd use. "A hideous derelict council estate" would be more accurate. Warwick is nice.
Original post by BlueSam3
"Dead" isn't the word I'd use. "A hideous derelict council estate" would be more accurate. Warwick is nice.

Warwick is nice. It's also dead. There is nothing to do - I should know, my school's there and during study leave we were allowed to go anywhere we wanted, and we haunted Costa and Greggs because they were the only two places you could go. Leamington's Amsterdam by comparison.

Quick Reply

Latest