The Student Room Group

John Oliver on 'Donald Drumpf'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkasia

I am by no means a Trump supporter although I find myself agreeing with a great deal of his policies, and as a UK citizen, I have no major say in anything going on in the presidential race, but my facebook feed is flooded with people sharing the Oliver video and tagging their friends, taking part in what is essentially bullying because they fail to realise they are only strengthening the support for Trump. Instead of attacking the name his grandfather changed at a time where it was common in the face of anti-German sentiment, attack his stance on Climate Change. Instead of mocking his hair, focus on his dangerous nuclear weapons policies. Do not attempt to Stump the Trump.

It's funny because of Trump's condescending and downright rude tweet to Jon Stewart about his name.
I thought it was hilarious. And the name stuff was only the last bit. It was hardly 20 minutes dedicated to his name lol It was a piece by piece rebuttal of a list of Trump's supposed 'positive' attributes. Did you even watch it?
Reply 22
Original post by RayApparently
It's funny because of Trump's condescending and downright rude tweet to Jon Stewart about his name.

Slight difference being Trump's ancestors anglicized his surname 400 years ago. Stewart downright changed his midcareer.
Original post by Arkasia
Slight difference being Trump's ancestors anglicized his surname 400 years ago. Stewart downright changed his midcareer.

Just makes it funnier.
Original post by JaiITheBankers
The Jewish establishment

They do everything to put people they want the most into power like Hillary Clinton

Like in Britain ever since Corbyn a lot of Jewish billionaires have stopped financing them.

Democracy is bought with their money to serve their interests. It is why we'll never get any change on foreign policy and their military interventionism.

Hillary Clinton gets her foreign policy advice from people like Kissinger.

:angry:

I think America today is a lot like pre-Nazi Germany in that a small minority of a few percent own nearly all the media, they even create the money with Federal Reserve. They are massively over-represented in government. This was exactly what Germany was like until they had enough...

These are facts you can verify. Start looking at what the Jews did to the Germans as soon as they had equal rights in Germany they screwed the German people and took control.

How the actual **** did this anti Semitic troll get three reps?
Original post by Arkasia
John Oliver showed himself to be an absolute tit on his show as he had a twenty minute segment essentially failing to criticize Trump's many, massive flaws, and instead choosing to mock his name. This type of identity politics and personal attacks has plagued US politics for decades, and has started to become incredibly common here in the UK.

Oliver showed a staggering lack of political insight into why people vote for Trump; they are tired of the establishment, the same reason they are flocking to Sanders. They are tired of the status quo, and Wall Street, and the stagnation of an entire system as politicians promise the bare minimum and still fail to deliver. People vote for Trump because he doesn't care. Him and Sanders are outside the establishment; Trump funds his own campaign, and Sanders refuses to take big money donations.

Trump can literally lie through his teeth but still gain support, because the media frankly has no idea how to deal with him. Call him names in the press and attack him? That makes no difference, everyone and their mothers call Trump a racist, and he takes it because he knows it still gains him support. The people at the bottom of the pile who are tired of getting kicked around and failed by a system they cannot change have decided enough is enough, and to go for a candidate that is massively flawed and frankly awful in all ways but one: he promises change.

I am by no means a Trump supporter although I find myself agreeing with a great deal of his policies, and as a UK citizen, I have no major say in anything going on in the presidential race, but my facebook feed is flooded with people sharing the Oliver video and tagging their friends, taking part in what is essentially bullying because they fail to realise they are only strengthening the support for Trump. Instead of attacking the name his grandfather changed at a time where it was common in the face of anti-German sentiment, attack his stance on Climate Change. Instead of mocking his hair, focus on his dangerous nuclear weapons policies. Do not attempt to Stump the Trump.

Those feelings when people ridicule the one person you can relate to.... :holmes:
Original post by Arkasia
John Oliver showed himself to be an absolute tit on his show as he had a twenty minute segment essentially failing to criticize Trump's many, massive flaws, and instead choosing to mock his name. This type of identity politics and personal attacks has plagued US politics for decades, and has started to become incredibly common here in the UK.

Oliver showed a staggering lack of political insight into why people vote for Trump; they are tired of the establishment, the same reason they are flocking to Sanders. They are tired of the status quo, and Wall Street, and the stagnation of an entire system as politicians promise the bare minimum and still fail to deliver. People vote for Trump because he doesn't care. Him and Sanders are outside the establishment; Trump funds his own campaign, and Sanders refuses to take big money donations.

Trump can literally lie through his teeth but still gain support, because the media frankly has no idea how to deal with him. Call him names in the press and attack him? That makes no difference, everyone and their mothers call Trump a racist, and he takes it because he knows it still gains him support. The people at the bottom of the pile who are tired of getting kicked around and failed by a system they cannot change have decided enough is enough, and to go for a candidate that is massively flawed and frankly awful in all ways but one: he promises change.

The awkward moment when you see ethnic minorities who support Trump
Original post by Arkasia

Did you watch the whole video? he took a compilation of interviews of Donald Trump supporters and obliterated his entire argument. I can go on and pick out the flaws in what you're saying too, but that will be time consuming as there are too many. One example that makes me furious is that you think trump is going to stand up to the 'establishment' even though even he doesnt know what his policies are. John Oliver criticises his failures and his weaknesses such as not denouncing the 'wizard' of the KKK and his failed business plans. He's the only one starting a proper 'Anti - Donald Trump' campaign and respect to him for doing that.

He does understand why people vote for Donald Trump... the entire video picked out the points of why people were voting for Donald Trump....

You're as deluded as those who voten for that despicable man.
Original post by Can'tStumpTrump
Not realistic possibility anymore, Trump will devastate Hillary at the Presidentials

Trump has the potential to annihilate Clinton in a general ... that still doesn't counter the fact that it won't happen if Trump is in fact a Shillary stooge...
Original post by Bornblue
You can't seriously put trump and sanders in the same bracket.

Yes you definitely can.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-donald-trump-populism_us_56a1541de4b076aadcc5e35b
Original post by Arkasia

Good OP, OP.

I'm generally unamused by John Oliver (although he does occasionally bring attention to real issues that need it) and I didn't think this clip was particularly great either. There was nothing in it that hasn't been said a lot of times by a lot of people, except perhaps the name thing which will only be used at all by people who already hate Trump.
Original post by chemting
Trump has the potential to annihilate Clinton in a general ... that still doesn't counter the fact that it won't happen if Trump is in fact a Shillary stooge...

Why would Trump ever do all this ? The campaign had a negative effect on his business, for what ? To help out a friend ? It seems way to far fetched .. and there's no proof at all. But do we really have a choice at this point ? If Clinton wins against Sanders, Trump is the only possibility of avoiding a corporate president .. We have to play along.
Original post by Can'tStumpTrump
Why would Trump ever do all this ? The campaign had a negative effect on his business, for what ? To help out a friend ? It seems way to far fetched .. and there's no proof at all. But do we really have a choice at this point ? If Clinton wins against Sanders, Trump is the only possibility of avoiding a corporate president .. We have to play along.

Calm down mate... this was a conspiracy proposed by mainstream Republicans at the start of his campaign, I don't believe them and asked you for Devil's Advocate purposes.

If Clinton wins against Sanders, you will probably either have a low turnout or people (even some Democrats) flocking toTrump.
But Clinton vs Trump has already started and the propaganda war-machines are already out (John Oliver for example)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
Actually he did focus on his massive flaws, the fact he's a proven liar, the fact he's not as 'tough' as he pretends, the fact he refused to disavow the kkk's backing, the fact he has taken both sides on nearly every debate, the fact that despite what he says, he's had some huge business failures etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't see why people are using the KKK support as something to undermine Trump given that his campaign never existed on a pro-KKK platform

Did Obama have to publicly reject support from the Nation Of Islam, the terror group which killed Malcolm X?

Do you have to vet every single one of your supporters to make sure they've never used the N-word or cheated on their wife and if they have request they don't vote for you, or else it makes you a racist with no family values? It's totally imbecilic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
I don't see why people are using the KKK support as something to undermine Trump given that his campaign never existed on a pro-KKK platform

Did Obama have to publicly reject support from the Nation Of Islam, the terror group which killed Malcolm X?

As far as I'm aware Obama never denounced Bill Ayers, an actual communist terrorist, on grounds that a loose personal and professional relationship going back over a decade wasn't enough to establish any significant enough connection between them.

Duke, while reprehensible in many ways, isn't violent and has no personal or professional connection to Trump whatsoever; I don't think anyone is claiming Trump has even met Duke.

If Ayers is no big deal for Obama, Duke certainly is even less of one for Trump. Or should be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending