Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    spending 1hour on section a in english then rushing everything else for 30 mins,
    Spoiler:
    Show
    and even carrying on after the teacher told us to put our pens down by like 5 mins

ReputationRep:
    Realising you missed out a page on the back of the paper and you've got 5 minutes to do it in before the end :no:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not me, but a few people in the English Literature GCSE today answered both 45 minute questions :rolleyes: - Despite the large bit of text saying in bold caps "Answer EITHER question 20 OR question 21"

ReputationRep:
    About to make this mistake in my AQA RE Unit 3 Exam.

Name 2 legal ways a person becomes wealthy. (2 marks)

Talent - e.g. footballers
    Invention - e.g. Steve Jobs who invented MICROSOFT

ReputationRep:
    After completing a 6 mark physics question, I estimated what the answer probably should be in my head, to make sure that my my figure was of the correct order of magnitude. It seemed too big, so I put a note to the teacher stating "I appear to be out by an order of 100".

I finished the exam and realised that I forgot to convert from cm to m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11ahf)
    Did all the working in a computing exam correctly for a stupid, simple binary question.Accidentally missed off one of the 0s in the answer box.Examiner was not generous.Cost me the A*.
    Damn so did you literally miss out on the A* by 1 mark, did you get your paper back, did you get the paper remarked?

ReputationRep:
    For one of my maths exam, I somehow managed to write that 1x4=8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99joey)
    Damn so did you literally miss out on the A* by 1 mark, did you get your paper back, did you get the paper remarked?
    Less than 1 mark! I got 269 UMS.

I got it remarked initially as original mark was only 242 and I didn't think I was that bad at computing, but after the remark, I got the script back (which shows the original marking and the remark) and the first examiner had just not credited me for the last 3 pages? Unsure what happened but my school got mad and I got the remark refunded and stuff. The second marker was a harsh marker anyway (obviously, as they didn't credit me for perfect working and an obvious mistake of missing out a digit in the answer box). I was pretty upset that I was so close.

Most irritating thing is, that my friend got hers remarked, too, as she originally got 268, and hers went down 5 UMS. It just sucks because had I got her examiner in the first place, I would have got an A*.

I am still very bitter about all of this and hate the exams system as a result.

ReputationRep:
    In an English lit exam, I wrote how a woman was a prostitute and used the quote "men come from miles around to buy from her" and "men came back day by day, night by night" turned out she was selling burgers, I had completely misunderstood the poem. My teacher reported me!

ReputationRep:
    On one of my physics mocks for P1 at school, I missed out two whole pages worth 10 marks! This was because there was a random blank page. So I sat for the whole exam thinking I've finished the paper for 10 mins. I don't know how I still got an A on it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student2607)
    Well in my C1 GCSE the other day I wrote about the Carbon Dioxide test instead of the Chlorine test as I didn't read the question carefully. I was slightly confused as to why people were talking about litmus paper after, but then I realised how stupid I was.. (Probably the easiest question on the paper aswell)
    What? Well I did this too.

ReputationRep:
    The following examples are all in Maths mocks:

1 - After some working, I arrive at the answer of 14:15 (which is right). I write 2:45pm in the answer space (yet I still would've gotten the mark, believe it or not).

2 - In a rationalising denominators question, after arriving at a fraction with a denominator of 5 (as opposed to root-5), I put the root sign back on the 5.

3 - I missed out the last 3 questions because I misread "QUESTION 22 IS WORTH 3 MARKS" as "THE PAPER IS WORTH 100 MARKS". If I had answered those questions in the mock, I would've got an A*.

ReputationRep:
    Same. A girl in my class did that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KomradeKorbyn)
    Not me, but a few people in the English Literature GCSE today answered both 45 minute questions :rolleyes: - Despite the large bit of text saying in bold caps "Answer EITHER question 20 OR question 21"
    Same. A girl in my class did this today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonyeka)
    What? Well I did this too.
    That's so weird thought I was the only one, maybe not so rare after all! :O
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    For the life of me I could not remember the abbreviation for 'that is to say' (viz), so I wrote T.I.T.S. and the teacher read it out in class much to my embarrassment and her mirth!

ReputationRep:
    In my GCSE physics exam I didn't realise there were questions on the back page of the paper and my heart broke as the invigilator lifted it off the desk and I saw the unanswered questions
    Needless to say I had to resit that exam and I haven't made that mistake since:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I missed an 18 mark question on an M1 paper I spent a week revising for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tropojanja)
    No joke, i did half a page of working out for a 6 mark question and i got zero for forgetting to divide by two. Honestly.

Anyone have their stories to tell about exam mistakes?
    I misidentified the shape of a molecule in Unit 1 a-level chemistry exam and gave it the wrong bond angle, kicking myself after

ReputationRep:
    In a geography mock it said explain how COASTLINES ARE PROTECTED and for some reason i started talking about London being sustainable 1/8 marks Lol

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.