The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

For my MSc I only applied to Southampton and Portsmouth. I withdrew my Portsmouth application when I got the offer from Soton. Basically it's close to Winchester, where I did my first degree, and it's a good uni and I like the city.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 21
jonnythemoose
Out of sheer curiosity, a question to the So'ton students. Where else did you apply to, and were you accepted etc?

And what made you choose So'ton?

Thanks. :smile:

LSE, Herrot Watt, City, Kent
Reply 22
Cardiff,Sheffield,Sussex and Manchester. Had offers from all of them - but Cardiff's offer was for subjects I'm not doing!! Fairly hard choice between Manchester and Southampton but Southampton won in the end.
UCL, Bristol, Sheffield and Bath; got offers from all.

I chose Soton because it just seemed like such a friendly environment and is top 5 for my course :smile:
I liked UCL, but I think it's too close to home for me.
Reply 24
Plymouth, Exeter, Bath, Portsmouth. Got offers for all of them,
I chose Southampton because I feel in love with it when I came on the open day, Its a great Uni, Lovely atomosphere, and Having been here now for 2 1/2 year I can confirms it rocks :biggrin:
Im gonna miss this place like hell! (Not the work mind you.. heh.)
I applied to York, Exeter, Nottingham and Warwick...
Warwick was my favourite one, but I got a rejection from it, so I guess Soton will be my firm...
Reply 26
Southampton Ocean Physics - Firm
Exeter Physics - Insurance
Southampton Physics - Decline
Cardiff Physics - Decline
Swansea Physics - Decline

Southampton won hands down because they are the only uni to do the course :smile:
Aspire
LSE, Herrot Watt, City, Kent

Are you doing actuarial science? Why do you choose soton over LSE/City?
Reply 28
fastswift
Are you doing actuarial science? Why do you choose soton over LSE/City?

actually i'm doing maths with actuarial studies, but you get the same number of exemptions as someone doing actuarial science.I wanted to do more than just act science which is why i chose soton, although i did get accepted by city and lse.
Bangor & Plymouth for Ocean Sciences
UEA for Meteorology and Oceanography
Liverpool for Chemistry with Oceanography
Portsmouth for Marine Environmental Science <--- a place filler as my stupid 6th form made us apply to 6

I chose Southampton because it was the best place to study oceanography in Europe and the NOC is great ^_^ Even if you do get lost every time you go there...
Reply 30
Cardiff - ABB
Soton - ABB
Oxford Brookes - BBC-CCC
Staffordshire - CCC
Birmingham -ABC
I also applied to Cardiff, Bristol, Kent, Aberystwyth and Leicester, all to do Astrophysics, got offers from all but chose Southampton as firm and Aber as insurance.

Southampton just had the complete package - great course, great department, great campus, great halls, great city. Simple :smile:
Reply 32
LSE AAAa
Warwick AAAa/AEA merit
Manchester ABBb
Soton ABB
Lancaster ABB
For CS:

Soton: ABB
Birmingham: ABB
Exeter: BBB
Durham: ABB
UCL: AAB

Put soton as firm, exeter as insurance, got the grades needed for exeter and then soton took me anyways :biggrin:
i applied to and was rejected by Bristol, Bath and Imperial College.
my insurance is at Cardiff, but is basically the same offer Soton gave me. Plus Soton is closer =D.
if i don't make my offer i will apply to Exeter instead =P

Latest

Trending

Trending