The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physics1234
I got an unconditional for physics on Friday...so happy I can't wait to start

Unconditional! :eek: Do you already have the grades?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 421
Hi! I've been accepted & I was wondering if anyone knows if (when you apply for housing) you have any say in your roommate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone from the EU as already heard back from the philosophy department?😅
Original post by TTWNGCBC
I have one from Manchester but no other unis yet.

I'm in England and St Andrews don't send out offers to English Applicants until after UCAS closes on the 15th January. I think international applicants receive offers before then and Scottish ones may well too. Since you're doing Advanced Highers I assume you're in Scotland so may get an offer before us English applicants.

okay I know it's been a long time since you posted this but I couldn't help but notice we both have applied for the philosophy course in both St Andrews and Cambridge, Pembroke college more specifically. We might even have met at the interview. Have you heard back from St Andrews yet? The wait is really hard to manage for me...
Has anyone heard back from Chemistry? My application was sent off on the 30th of November so I'm not really sure how long that means I'll have to wait for a response.
Original post by Aaa2016
I got an offer for chemistry on Tuesday. I applied about a month ago. :smile:

I also applied for chemistry about a month ago; what grades did you apply with? I'm applying with AAB so I'm just on the entry requirement for the course, which may mean I'll have to wait a while.
Reply 426
Original post by SGrice
Hi! I've been accepted & I was wondering if anyone knows if (when you apply for housing) you have any say in your roommate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in Albany park (which is one of thehalls in St Andrews, 6 rooms in one house, we all have our separate bedrooms,so we are housemates rather than roommates I guess), and I remember having to fill out a questionnaire about whether I would prefer to live in a quiet/loud environment, what are my likes/dislikes regarding music, sports, activities etc.,what are my usual sleep hours, whether I want to live in an all-girls house or a mixed house, and whether I want to live in alcohol free environment or not.That is all I was asked about the matter and even then, I talked to my housemates and it seems that they only really paid attention to theall-girls/mixed and alcohol/alcohol free environment bits, as we (as in the girls I live with and I) are rather different people in all other regards. Not complaining, as I ended up loving my housemates...most of the time :smile:... but my point is the whole process seems to be more or less random. However, if you have someone in particular you want to live with that you know is coming to St Andrews and you both get offers for the same accommodation, I don't imagine why you couldn't send an email asking them about whether you can or cannot live with said person. I have no experience with this as most people I know came toSt Andrews not knowing anyone else, but if I you wish, (and I don't forget) I could ask around about whether there are people who have requested to live withsomeone, assuming that this is what you want to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 427
Original post by agirdzius
Applied for CS on 16th of December, still nothing :/

I have applied in October and still nothing :frown: I am super stressed. I've got an offer from Imperial but it is incredibly high, I was wondering what are the offers for CS at St. Andrews (preferably for IB). Btw I am from Poland (EU outside UK, maybe that info is of any help to other people, who applied for Computer Science and are not UK students).
Original post by SGrice

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never knew who my roommate was until I moved in but we've ended up being quite good friends - relatively quiet, both play piano etc. My neighbours have been matched incredibly (they are like sisters), and some of my friends have also been matched perfectly - there are two guys who are both members of the same political party, both studying the exact same thing and they were a match made in heaven.

They ask you quite a few questions but it's not guaranteed that you'll be matched with your long lost twin. If you, however, know someone with whom you would like to share a room, you can both request it on the accommodation form which you will be asked to fill out some time in April.
Reply 429
Original post by GabiZ
I live in Albany park (which is one of thehalls in St Andrews, 6 rooms in one house, we all have our separate bedrooms,so we are housemates rather than roommates I guess), and I remember having to fill out a questionnaire about whether I would prefer to live in a quiet/loud environment, what are my likes/dislikes regarding music, sports, activities etc.,what are my usual sleep hours, whether I want to live in an all-girls house or a mixed house, and whether I want to live in alcohol free environment or not.That is all I was asked about the matter and even then, I talked to my housemates and it seems that they only really paid attention to theall-girls/mixed and alcohol/alcohol free environment bits, as we (as in the girls I live with and I) are rather different people in all other regards. Not complaining, as I ended up loving my housemates...most of the time :smile:... but my point is the whole process seems to be more or less random. However, if you have someone in particular you want to live with that you know is coming to St Andrews and you both get offers for the same accommodation, I don't imagine why you couldn't send an email asking them about whether you can or cannot live with said person. I have no experience with this as most people I know came toSt Andrews not knowing anyone else, but if I you wish, (and I don't forget) I could ask around about whether there are people who have requested to live withsomeone, assuming that this is what you want to do.

Thanks for your answer! I don't know anyone going, but I figured I'd ask. There are some schools in the US that allow students to chat with their possible roommates before deciding. I was just curious. Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 430
Original post by CaitlinDy
I never knew who my roommate was until I moved in but we've ended up being quite good friends - relatively quiet, both play piano etc. My neighbours have been matched incredibly (they are like sisters), and some of my friends have also been matched perfectly - there are two guys who are both members of the same political party, both studying the exact same thing and they were a match made in heaven.

They ask you quite a few questions but it's not guaranteed that you'll be matched with your long lost twin. If you, however, know someone with whom you would like to share a room, you can both request it on the accommodation form which you will be asked to fill out some time in April.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone recieved an offer for MA Economics yet?
Reply 432
Original post by Mackenzie2519
Has anyone recieved an offer for MA Economics yet?

I haven't heard anything :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me neither :/ Have you heard anything back from any other unis?
Reply 434
Original post by Mackenzie2519
Me neither :/ Have you heard anything back from any other unis?

Only Warwick and Oxford... U?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't heard anything from them
Reply 436
Original post by GabiZ
That is all I was asked about the matter and even then, I talked to my housemates and it seems that they only really paid attention to theall-girls/mixed and alcohol/alcohol free environment bits, as we (as in the girls I live with and I) are rather different people in all other regards. Not complaining, as I ended up loving my housemates...most of the time :smile:... but my point is the whole process seems to be more or less random. However, if you have someone in particular you want to live with that you know is coming to St Andrews and you both get offers for the same accommodation, I don't imagine why you couldn't send an email asking them about whether you can or cannot live with said person. I have no experience with this as most people I know came toSt Andrews not knowing anyone else, but if I you wish, (and I don't forget) I could ask around about whether there are people who have requested to live withsomeone, assuming that this is what you want to do.

Just quoting to agree with this! I'm not sure how the 'interests' section on the form worked, but the main consensus across the halls is that people end up fairly well-placed, yet are often hugely varied in personality.

Shared rooms are quite different, but either way, I'd email the accommodation services when you apply for halls and mention that you'd like to share a room/be in the same hall as a certain person. They might not be able to help, but it's worth a try!

I'm in albany as well, and although my housemates are pretty varied, we all get on :smile: every hall has a unique personality, which I love!
So a friend of mine got an offer last week for international relations and economics....
Just wondering what people think, i applied in October for modern history and classical civ. The entry requirements are AAA
At AS i got AAAAB with the B coming from English lit and one of the A's was critical thinking. Firstly when are they sending out offers and secondly is there a chance id get one? Best of luck to everyone else who is applying!
Original post by 06porterr
So a friend of mine got an offer last week for international relations and economics....

Oh wow! I applied for that. Is she UK/EU?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending