Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Current Year 12 Thread Mark I (2013-2014) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Interesting points about my first four days at Sixth Form:

• My friend I get the train with in the morning missed the train on Wednesday, and the two I usually meet at the train station both decided to get a later train without telling to me, so I was lonely at the way to school but my GCSE History teacher walked past me in the Quad and congratulated me on my GCSE results, she said I got 97% overall. She really cheered me up
    • In my German class there are only seven of us (nine in the other class, meaning they have more lessons). This is the biggest number of AS German students my school has ever had, and my teacher said that he wouldn’t be surprised at all if we have the largest number of students out of all schools/colleges in Yorkshire, and apparently our Sixth Form German department is one of the leading ones in the North. Exciting stuff
    • I spoke to a couple of new girls which made me happy
    • All of my teachers are nice, I’ve never had any of them before apart from my two Geography teachers which I’d had once week in year seven and year eight respectively
    • They have a salad bar in the Sixth Form common room and you can get a pot of salad (albeit tiny) for 55p, and I indeed had one on Wednesday and filled it with tomato, cucumber, lettuce and a little bit of tomato pasta
    • We’re having a Geography trip to Bridlington in October and are staying in a B&B for a night, should be fun
    • We may also have a German trip to Berlin in February for the 16 AS students and five A2 ones, should be fun also
    • I got the train of Tuesday with a couple of girls from school that I had previously talked to but not very much, I hope to get to know them a bit better
    • I’ve been having lots of fun with folders and lined paper, it is great to feel organised
    • I have a lovely form, s’all great
    • I hope to be a classroom assistant for an hour a week in either the German or History department

ReputationRep:
    1st week in and I've read 2 plays, have a debate in one month, EU Mock Council in 6 weeks, signed up for junior mentoring and the Y8 STEM Club and also have a job interview on Wednesday. This year is gonna be fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glitch96)
    I assume there will be mixed results, some people going up and some going down, maybe even staying the same. A part of me thinks the system is corrupt and we're paying for extra marks, I hope that's true haha I don't know any success stories but either way, do you think you did better than what you were graded at? I'm looking at a bunch of remarking too since i'm 2ums off a B in History, 1 ums off an A in Business, and 2ums off a B in Literature. Is this going to be expensive? If everything goes pear shaped we've got a bunch of ums leeway, but I know we both still want to keep that, plus i doubt it would come to that.. just have to go with your gut I guess.
    well I got bang on an a* and tbh I thought I'd be at least a middle a* because the exam went well and I'd answered in the way the English teacher who was an exam marker told us too. The remarks can get quite pricey but if you go up a grade in the exam you get refunded, which is annoying because I've already got an a* so I'll be effectively paying to try and go up a grade aha. Yours are all quite close, if you don't want to pay for them all go for the ones you think are most likely to go up I'd say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Ah that's fair enough, hopefully there will be enough space in those classes.

You'd have to go to the most relevant forum, then near the top of the page, there should be a orange button that says something like 'create a thread'

Edit: it actually says "post new thread"
    Thanks mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaaceandl0ve)
    In my German class there are only seven of us (nine in the other class, meaning they have more lessons). This is the biggest number of AS German students my school has ever had, and my teacher said that he wouldn’t be surprised at all if we have the largest number of students out of all schools/colleges in Yorkshire, and apparently our Sixth Form German department is one of the leading ones in the North.
    If everyone that signed up to do German on our Induction Day also enrolled for German, we'd have 8 people in our class including me, but one girl from my school who was meant to do German at my college recently moved to Gloucestershire, so now there will be a maximum of 7 people doing it. I'm not expecting all 6 other people to do it too though... I love having a small class.

In school, most of my classes were between 26 - 32 people. Then my German class was 20 and my Triple Science was 17, and they were hands down my favourite lessons. Smaller classes are so much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by don9999)
    Hey there I have started my a-levels and am finding physics to be difficult as well as time consuming.I am seriously considering changing it to geography to maximise my chance of getting 3 A's at A-level so that I can study medicine.My current subject selection is biology,chemistry,physics and maths. I need your advice and thought asap!!!
    Taking Geography would be great as you would still have Biology, Chemistry and an additional 'science' subject so you needn't take Physics too. Having Geography would show your breadth, as it is an essay-based subject, and I've heard that medicine admissions tutors like people to have a forth subject in a non-Science/Maths subject. Geography is still regarded as a facilitating and traditional subject, and I am planning to take it just for AS and the course does look quite interesting. I think changing to Geography would be a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas.)
    If everyone that signed up to do German on our Induction Day also enrolled for German, we'd have 8 people in our class including me, but one girl from my school who was meant to do German at my college recently moved to Gloucestershire, so now there will be a maximum of 7 people doing it. I'm not expecting all 6 other people to do it too though... I love having a small class.

In school, most of my classes were between 26 - 32 people. Then my German class was 20 and my Triple Science was 17, and they were hands down my favourite lessons. Smaller classes are so much better.
    Oh wow, that should be cosy! It's especially useful to have smaller classes in languages so that you can get personal opportunities for speaking and listening. Yes, I expect a couple of people may drop German within the first month, I didn't think they realise how much of a leap up it is from GCSE. Small classes are great though, you get more attention from the teacher which is very important. At GCSE with had 33 in our English, around 30 in Maths, 20-25 in all other subjects but 16 in German. This year we have 13 in Geography, and 14/15 in Maths and History. It is nice

ReputationRep:
    So many good albums got leaked this week, ah~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaaceandl0ve)
    Oh wow, that should be cosy! It's especially useful to have smaller classes in languages so that you can get personal opportunities for speaking and listening. Yes, I expect a couple of people may drop German within the first month, I didn't think they realise how much of a leap up it is from GCSE. Small classes are great though, you get more attention from the teacher which is very important. At GCSE with had 33 in our English, around 30 in Maths, 20-25 in all other subjects but 16 in German. This year we have 13 in Geography, and 14/15 in Maths and History. It is nice
    Yeah that's what the French teacher said (had her as a tutor for the day, and she spoke to me about German because the actual German teacher wasn't in...). When I had a look at the list though, there was only one other boy... Not that it's a problem, but I think I'll just find it a little bit harder to get to know people, because when I'm surrounded by girls I feel the need to make a good first impression, whereas around boys I can just relax.

Wow, they are nice class sizes. I hope mine are like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Nor)
    So many good albums got leaked this week, ah~
    Balance and Composure's new album is a definite contender for AOTY for me! So bloody glad I pre-ordered the vinyl. Expect lots of pictures when it arrives...

ReputationRep:
    Balance and Composure's new album is a definite contender for AOTY for me! So bloody glad I pre-ordered the vinyl. Expect lots of pictures when it arrives...
    Chvrches new album is definitely a contender for me, along with London Grammar's
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Nope, that's wrong

A hint I was given - think about the real part of the equation, and the imaginary part. (If you're still interested in doing it )
    What's the answer you've been given?

ReputationRep:
    Chvrches new album is definitely a contender for me, along with London Grammar's
    Chvrches was alright, haven't even heard of the other one.

I now have a whole list of albums that I'm waiting to leak though... These being the main ones.

24/9: Touché Amoré - Is Survived By
    8/10: A Day to Remember - Common Courtesy
    8/10: Dance Gavin Dance - Acceptance Speech

ReputationRep:
    Chvrches was alright, haven't even heard of the other one.

I now have a whole list of albums that I'm waiting to leak though... These being the main ones.

24/9: Touché Amoré - Is Survived By
    8/10: A Day to Remember - Common Courtesy
    8/10: Dance Gavin Dance - Acceptance Speech
    I have a list too somewhere, one of the albums i really want gets released Monday and Amazon shipped it today! I've rated every album of this year I've listened too (cause I'm sad and the top 5 so far are:

1: Goldfrapp- Tales of Us 9/10
    2: Arctic Monkeys- AM 7.8/10
    3: Chvches- The Bones of What You Believe 7.8/10
    4: London Grammar- If You Wait 7.5/10
    5: Anouk- Sad Singalong Songs 7.5/10

ReputationRep:
    I have a list too somewhere, one of the albums i really want gets released Monday and Amazon shipped it today! I've rated every album of this year I've listened too (cause I'm sad and the top 5 so far are:

1: Goldfrapp- Tales of Us 9/10
    2: Arctic Monkeys- AM 7.8/10
    3: Chvches- The Bones of What You Believe 7.8/10
    4: London Grammar- If You Wait 7.5/10
    5: Anouk- Sad Singalong Songs 7.5/10
    B&C's new album is released on Tuesday, and it was shipped yesterday 1st class, so if all goes to plan I'll get it on Monday.

My top 5 albums so far - not including B&C because it hasn't been released yet;

1: Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! - Pardon My French - 9/10
    2: Kill Lincoln - That's Cool... In A Totally Negative And Destructive Way - 8/10
    3: Daylight - Jar - 8/10
    4: Sharks - Selfhood - 7.7/10
    5: Count To Four - Between Two Cities - 7/10

This year has definitely been a better year for EPs so far. Top 5 EPs;

1: Hot Damn - Sleep Alone - 9.5/10
    2: Lower Lands - Canvas - 9/10
    3: Boston Manor - Here/Now - 9/10
    4: Gnarwolves - Funemployed - 9/10
    5: Nam Le - Nam Le - 9/10

There's at least 3 other EPs that I'd give a 9/10 to as well...

ReputationRep:
    B&C's new album is released on Tuesday, and it was shipped yesterday 1st class, so if all goes to plan I'll get it on Monday.

My top 5 albums so far - not including B&C because it hasn't been released yet;

1: Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! - Pardon My French - 9/10
    2: Kill Lincoln - That's Cool... In A Totally Negative And Destructive Way - 8/10
    3: Daylight - Jar - 8/10
    4: Sharks - Selfhood - 7.7/10
    5: Count To Four - Between Two Cities - 7/10

This year has definitely been a better year for EPs so far. Top 5 EPs;

1: Hot Damn - Sleep Alone - 9.5/10
    2: Lower Lands - Canvas - 9/10
    3: Boston Manor - Here/Now - 9/10
    4: Gnarwolves - Funemployed - 9/10
    5: Nam Le - Nam Le - 9/10

There's at least 3 other EPs that I'd give a 9/10 to as well...
    This is how bored I got one day lmao http://rateyourmusic.com/~lunarscape
    (some stuff isn't there due to lack of page/track listing)

ReputationRep:
    This is how bored I got one day lmao http://rateyourmusic.com/~lunarscape
    (some stuff isn't there due to lack of page/track listing)
    Pretty cool website. Would be so easy if you could just import all your artists from Lastfm... But you can't.

ReputationRep:

My R.E GCSE class had 12 people in it (everyone does short course but I picked full course). My Further Maths class will have 5 people in it this year I think. Probably 9 in History

ReputationRep:
    For one of my subjects, I have more teachers than classmates.

I win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    My R.E GCSE class had 12 people in it (everyone does short course but I picked full course). My Further Maths class will have 5 people in it this year I think. Probably 9 in History
    There were eleven of us in GCSE Spanish, the banter was unimaginable! (With Miss as well!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.