The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scrawlx101
What are the psychological impacts of smoking?

Is that a good EPQ question? or too vague? What can i do to improve it?

Id say that's too specific to write over 3000 words on... You could do the social, economic and personal impacts of smoking? Economic could be for better or worse, there is a high tax on them but they also have an impact on NHS due to the diseases they cause.
Original post by lamyers1
Id say that's too specific to write over 3000 words on... You could do the social, economic and personal impacts of smoking? Economic could be for better or worse, there is a high tax on them but they also have an impact on NHS due to the diseases they cause.

So a better question would be:

What are the social,economic and personal impacts of smoking?

I want to be a clinical psychologistbut im struggling to think of ideas related to that...

I was thinking of something to do with mental breakdowns or split personalities...WHY IS IT SO HARD TO COME UP WITH A VIABLE PSYCHOLOGY QUESTION :frown: ....times like this i wish i had a older bro or sis it would make things slightly easier...
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, I have been asked to start thinking about ideas for my EPQ as I'm going into Sixth Form in September. I want to study Architecture at uni so I was thinking about linking Islamic veil controversy in France with contemporary modern-designed mosques. This is to show how Islamic sacred architecture has openly embraced changes in architecture yet, ironically, Islam is a religion deeply funded on beliefs on the Quran, beliefs which are not ready for a change.

It seems to be a feasible idea but could anyone help me to try and formulate the title question?
:s-smilie:
So a better question would be:

What are the social,economic and personal impacts of smoking?

I want to be a clinical psychologistbut im struggling to think of ideas related to that...

I was thinking of something to do with mental breakdowns or split personalities...WHY IS IT SO HARD TO COME UP WITH A VIABLE PSYCHOLOGY QUESTION :frown: ....times like this i wish i had a older bro or sis it would make things slightly easier...

Maybe look at impacts of drugs on the brain and behaviour? Then you can compare different drugs and their classes.
Or take a disease like schizophrenia/alzheimers/depression/anxiety etc and look at brain changes, inheritance and socioeconomic impacts?
Id get headings set out and summarise what you want to talk about beneath each. I cant remember whether you need to make a timeline of when you need things done by or not... Don't know what you're doing so cant be more help than that :P

Ok then, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe look at impacts of drugs on the brain and behaviour? Then you can compare different drugs and their classes.
Or take a disease like schizophrenia/alzheimers/depression/anxiety etc and look at brain changes, inheritance and socioeconomic impacts?

Think I'll pick alzheimers disease.Now to somehow make a valid question...any ideas?

How does Alzheimers effect the brain and what are it's socioeconomic
impacts?

Is that a good question?
Think I'll pick alzheimers disease.Now to somehow make a valid question...any ideas?

How does Alzheimers effect the brain and what are it's socioeconomic
impacts?

Is that a good question?

Yes that is. Alzheimers (you could broaden it to dementia) is a very costly disease and is becoming more prevalent due to the ageing population. For an example, i work in a care home where weekly rates are ~£800 paid by the council (and that's not expensive).
Plus, the symptoms wholly depend on the type of dementia and where it is, and has a horrible impact on the family.
Yes that is. Alzheimers (you could broaden it to dementia) is a very costly disease and is becoming more prevalent due to the ageing population. For an example, i work in a care home where weekly rates are ~£800 paid by the council (and that's not expensive).
Plus, the symptoms wholly depend on the type of dementia and where it is, and has a horrible impact on the family.

What type of research would i need to do? Would i need statistics or is that irelavant in this case? and Thanks Alot you really are a lifesaver.Did you happen to do an EPQ yourself and if so what was it on,if you dont mind me asking :smile:
Is anyone doing an artifact? As I have no idea what to write in the 1,000 word report.
What type of research would i need to do? Would i need statistics or is that irelavant in this case? and Thanks Alot you really are a lifesaver.Did you happen to do an EPQ yourself and if so what was it on,if you dont mind me asking :smile:

You

You could look into the physical changes involved in dementia, from the brain to how this affects their memory/speech/personality, then move onto the effect on family, then socioeconomic impact? With potential treatments/preventative measures to see.if this could reduce the impact on society?

I did an EPQ on artificial hearts and whether they could overtake the use of heart transplants and other treatments in the future. I know quite a lot about dementia and am interested in it because of working with people who are affected by it and their families, and studied it a little at uni. :smile:
Is it possible to manufacture a wave powered generator for use in developing countries that costs less than $150 to make?
Is this a good question? I need help, what sort of research should I do?
Original post by bobsy101
Is it possible to manufacture a wave powered generator for use in developing countries that costs less than $150 to make?
Is this a good question? I need help, what sort of research should I do?

I think the question might be a bit long - could you shorten it down a bit?
Got an A* for my EPQ - hyped all that work actually paid off :biggrin:
Reply 5374
Got an A*! So happy. I slogged my guts out for that. :smile:
Got an A* bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! worked my ****in arse off.
Does anyone know what the points are for in the right-hand column of the results slip? I got 90, what mark does that equate to? AQA's website say it's out of 28 points, which doesn't really make any sense at all... Cheers :smile:
Congratulations!! Do you mind me asking how long your EPQ took you and how many sources approximately you used? :biggrin:
Congratulations!! Do you mind me asking how long your EPQ took you and how many sources approximately you used?
Congratulations! Do you mind me asking how long your EPQ took you and how many sources approximately you used?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending