Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Top 10 Averaged Out (took all rankings and averaged them where applicable).

Oxford (2,3)
    Cambridge (2,8)
    Imperial (4,375)
    UCL (4,9)
    Bristol (7,6)
    Manchester (8)
    KCL (8,6)
    Edinburgh (9,2)
    LSE (11,4)
    Warwick (11,8)

The other close ones:

Nottingham (12,6)
    Durham (13,1)

All in all, you guys were pretty accurate overall

Sources:

ARWU, QS, Times, REF, CWTS Leiden, US News, High Flyers, Law Firms UK, Law Firms London, eFinancial Centre

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'll bite. Here's what I think is the top 10 in the UK:

Oxford, Cambridge
    LSE, Imperial
    UCL, Warwick

Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iskolar)
    Okay, I'll bite. Here's what I think is the top 10 in the UK:

Oxford, Cambridge
    LSE, Imperial
    UCL, Warwick

Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Bristol
    In what way is Warwick along with UCL? Please support your argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    In what way is Warwick along with UCL? Please support your argument.
    Here's a my simplified answer to that question.

They almost have an identical prestige to the view of the applicants -- almost identical entry standards / almost similar UCAS points. In other words, they do have an almost identical calibre of students as demonstrated by their past academic achievements.

Aside from that, these two unis share the most number of cross-admit students. Meaning, most UCL students also applied to Warwick (the most) and vice versa.

Almost identical educational standards. After Oxbridge, these unis have the most number of top 10 programs.

Both are top 10 in research, too.

Graduates of both unis compete for the same jobs, too, may that be in business, economics or finance, or the humanities, law, engineering or computer science. Both unis are considered "core schools" by most top employers. Both unis are two of the only six unis in the whole UK that the top bulge bracket firms consider-- UK's top 6 unis.

Just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a my simplified answer to that question.

They almost have an identical prestige to the view of the applicants -- almost identical entry standards / almost similar UCAS points. In other words, they do have an almost identical calibre of students as demonstrated by their past academic achievements.
    Not really - UCL has substantially higher entry requirements across the board. The only subjects Warwick competes are its flagship courses, i.e. Maths, Econ and a few more. In all the rest, UCL is higher up.

And mind you, Warwick offers places to almost all its applicants.

Aside from that, these two unis share the most number of cross-admit students. Meaning, most UCL students also applied to Warwick (the most) and vice versa.
    And? So did, say, Durham. Why does that make Warwick better than Durham?

Almost identical educational standards. After Oxbridge, these unis have the most number of top 10 programs.
    Evaluated how?

Both are top 10 in research, too.
    In the REF 2014, UCL had a much higher number of 4* graded research than Warwick. In fact, Warwick was lower in the vast majority of categories than the group you placed after UCL.

Graduates of both unis compete for the same jobs, too, may that be in business, economics or finance, or the humanities, law, engineering or computer science. Both unis are considered "core schools" by most top employers. Both unis are two of the only six unis in the whole UK that the top bulge bracket firms consider-- UK's top 6 unis.

Just my opinion.
    No. Warwick has made itself a great reputation for IB, but other than that it's your regular good university. The 'bracket firms' do not just consider 6 unis - who told you that? Yes, the top 6 provides a steady stream of people, but it's far from being the only thing IB banks consider.

In all other careers, Warwick performs okay. Nothing too spectacular.

Ultimately, these posts just bolster what I've been saying all along - people have inflated Warwick's reputation to heaven for no good reason.

ReputationRep:
    Not really - UCL has substantially higher entry requirements across the board. The only subjects Warwick competes are its flagship courses, i.e. Maths, Econ and a few more. In all the rest, UCL is higher up.

And mind you, Warwick offers places to almost all its applicants.

And? So did, say, Durham. Why does that make Warwick better than Durham?

Evaluated how?

In the REF 2014, UCL had a much higher number of 4* graded research than Warwick. In fact, Warwick was lower in the vast majority of categories than the group you placed after UCL.

No. Warwick has made itself a great reputation for IB, but other than that it's your regular good university. The 'bracket firms' do not just consider 6 unis - who told you that? Yes, the top 6 provides a steady stream of people, but it's far from being the only thing IB banks consider.

In all other careers, Warwick performs okay. Nothing too spectacular.

Ultimately, these posts just bolster what I've been saying all along - people have inflated Warwick's reputation to heaven for no good reason.
    UCL offers it to 51% of candidates nothing special, universities like Manchester also has like 95-100%. Also it varies wildly between course. I know when I did my UG, that for my subject there were 1000+ apps, 82 started and 300 got offers. There's a freedom of information document online confirming it.

The majority of Warwick students do Maths, Economics or WBS subjects. Warwick doesn't do Geography, UG medicine, nor dentistry, there are very few sciences students actually (even if they offer the courses). Consequently, saying Warwick only has high entry standards for those subjects is meaningless, especially when a significantly large part of the student body study those.

It's not just banking; strategy consulting, law. From Warwick people get into Mckinsey or Bain (albeit atypically), other universities have 0.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Leeds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newcastle456)
    UCL offers it to 51% of candidates nothing special, universities like Manchester also has like 95-100%. Also it varies wildly between course. I know when I did my UG, that for my subject there were 1000+ apps, 82 started and 300 got offers. There's a freedom of information document online confirming it.

The majority of Warwick students do Maths, Economics or WBS subjects. Warwick doesn't do Geography, UG medicine, nor dentistry, there are very few sciences students actually (even if they offer the courses). Consequently, saying Warwick only has high entry standards for those subjects is meaningless, especially when a significantly large part of the student body study those.

It's not just banking; strategy consulting, law. From Warwick people get into Mckinsey or Bain (albeit atypically), other universities have 0.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but Warwick offers places to ALL applicants, even for its flagship courses.

Erm, are you serious? Warwick has 23000+ students doing history, chemistry, physics, english and a whole lot of other courses. Its maths/econ and so on courses constitute only a minority of its students.

But it is just banking - for consulting, law and so on Warwick is not special at all - it is just a good uni. And McKinsey and Bain have recruited from other universities. Where are you getting your info from?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but Warwick offers places to ALL applicants, even for its flagship courses.

Erm, are you serious? Warwick has 23000+ students doing history, chemistry, physics, english and a whole lot of other courses. Its maths/econ and so on courses constitute only a minority of its students.

But it is just banking - for consulting, law and so on Warwick is not special at all - it is just a good uni. And McKinsey and Bain have recruited from other universities. Where are you getting your info from?
    No it doesn't. I know 6 of the 40 starting Mckinsey analysts in London; I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I also went to Cambridge and I have good contacts in the strategy consulting sphere. Even outside MBB, it's same for Oliver Wyman, AT Kearney, LEK etc.

Outside LBS and Oxbridge, LSE to lesser extent; strategy consulting firms prefer Warwick and Imperial. This has been done to death but Warwick has joint 2nd business school in UK and a top 4 economics department, it's easy to see why.

Warwick doesn't give offers to everyone, data is available online, you're talking nonsense.

No it doesn't, I went to the university for 3 years and know the composition. Very few students study outside my mentioned departments as a proportion of total student body.

I also work for a prominent government department now and an regularly in contact with academics both professionally and personally. High profile academics all across the world recognise Warwick Economics as world class, including those in MIT, Columbia aa well as the UK. Given that it's a driver in banking, consulting, public policy and business, it's easy to see why it has such good reputation amongst employers. The reputation from the business school and Economics departments, the driver of the bulk of the university's profit has had a positive externality for the broader student body.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't. I know 6 of the 40 starting Mckinsey analysts in London; I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I also went to Cambridge and I have good contacts in the strategy consulting sphere. Even outside MBB, it's same for Oliver Wyman, AT Kearney, LEK etc.

Outside LBS and Oxbridge, LSE to lesser extent; strategy consulting firms prefer Warwick and Imperial. This has been done to death but Warwick has joint 2nd business school in UK and a top 4 economics department, it's easy to see why.
    Apparently everyon knows everyone working at top firms here. Give me the data, and then we'll talk. Crap like I have 6 friends at a firm so I know what I'm talking about is just that - crap.

Warwick doesn't give offers to everyone, data is available online, you're talking nonsense.
    Oh it is available - the question is, have you bothered to look at it?

http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-g103-79845
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-c700-79958
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-f105-79947

And many, many more. For someone with your 'credentials', you sure haven't done much looking around.

No it doesn't, I went to the university for 3 years and know the composition. Very few students study outside my mentioned departments as a proportion of total student body.
    Are you freaking joking me? The university has over 25000 students. If its Maths/Econ so on courses were to account for the majority of those students, each class would need more than 1500-2000 people.

Please.

I also work for a prominent government department now and an regularly in contact with academics both professionally and personally. High profile academics all across the world recognise Warwick Economics as world class, including those in MIT, Columbia aa well as the UK. Given that it's a driver in banking, consulting, public policy and business, it's easy to see why it has such good reputation amongst employers. The reputation from the business school and Economics departments, the driver of the bulk of the university's profit has had a positive externality for the broader student body.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure sure. Read my first quote.

I went to the university for 3 years
    Once again, this just confirms what I'm talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently everyon knows everyone working at top firms here. Give me the data, and then we'll talk. Crap like I have 6 friends at a firm so I know what I'm talking about is just that - crap.

Oh it is available - the question is, have you bothered to look at it?

http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-g103-79845
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-c700-79958
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-f105-79947

And many, many more. For someone with your 'credentials', you sure haven't done much looking around.

Are you freaking joking me? The university has over 25000 students. If its Maths/Econ so on courses were to account for the majority of those students, each class would need more than 1500-2000 people.

Please.

Sure sure. Read my first quote.

Once again, this just confirms what I'm talking about.
    There are 350 to 400 pure UG Economists a year alone. Nevermind all the joint courses.

The business school probably has 1500 to 2000 UG students across all its courses every year.

You will soon realise it's the bulk.

You have just shown me biochemistry; maths because of step is atypical, Warwick isn't known for science courses like biology.

You're officially a tool.

http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-l100-79893

https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/phil...55688244/3771/

http://university.which.co.uk/univer...ears-9000-m100

That's not 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are 350 to 400 pure UG Economists a year alone. Nevermind all the joint courses.

The business school probably has 1500 to 2000 UG students across all its courses every year.

You will soon realise it's the bulk.

You have just shown me biochemistry; maths because of step is atypical, Warwick isn't known for science courses like biology.

You're officially a tool.

http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-l100-79893

https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/phil...55688244/3771/

http://university.which.co.uk/univer...ears-9000-m100

That's not 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I repeat, because you seemingly don't seem to get it- the university has OVER 25000 students. 1500-2000 students ACROSS the entire school is a small minority of the uni's total enrolment. How else can I explain this?

The statistic for Law is not accurate, considering Warwick has been in clearing that past two years. But even so, this doesn't change the fact that for the majority of its courses, Warwick offers places to all those who meet the offer. Do also note that for many of its courses, Warwick's students have on average fewer UCAS points than other unis whose offers are lower or equal.

But yeah, I'm the tool. It's not like someone is biased beyond oblivion.

ReputationRep:
    I repeat, because you seemingly don't seem to get it- the university has OVER 25000 students. 1500-2000 students ACROSS the entire school is a small minority of the uni's total enrolment. How else can I explain this?

The statistic for Law is not accurate, considering Warwick has been in clearing that past two years. But even so, this doesn't change the fact that for the majority of its courses, Warwick offers places to all those who meet the offer. Do also note that for many of its courses, Warwick's students have on average fewer UCAS points than other unis whose offers are lower or equal.

But yeah, I'm the tool. It's not like someone is biased beyond oblivion.
    It's in each year, that's why i specially said each UG year, you are an idiot. You don't know how to analyse data, you chat **** and portray false information.

So official UCAS data is incorrect..... Yeah ok I'm done.

I give up.

I don't need to be biased, I've got nothing to prove. You've clearly been rejected by warwick with a chip.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's in each year, you are an idiot.

So official UCAS data is incorrect..... Yeah ok I'm done.

I give up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And...? even if you multiply it by 3 or 4 times, it gets to 8k max - how is that the vast majority of students Warwick has? The irony of you calling me an idiot.

The data on there does not account for clearing offers for obvious reasons.

You gave up on your first post - you just only realised it. Thanks for the laugh doe

ReputationRep:
    And...? even if you multiply it by 3 or 4 times, it gets to 8k max - how is that the vast majority of students Warwick has? The irony of you calling me an idiot.

The data on there does not account for clearing offers for obvious reasons.

You gave up on your first post - you just only realised it. Thanks for the laugh doe
    Enjoy your sad life. It's for one faculty, you've also got postgraduates, the other ones, it's easily 50 to 60% of student body.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy your sad life. It's for one faculty, you've also got postgraduates, the other ones, it's easily 50 to 60% of student body.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You know who's life is sad when you have to say that...

No - you're telling me that 7-8 courses (and include join courses including these if you want) account for 50-60% of the student body? And since when does 'vast majority' mean simple majority? A vast majority would be 80% and more (thus, around 20000 students).

You clearly realised the sheer idiocy of that point and are now unsurprisingly backtracking. Warwick could have certainly done a better job. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You know who's life is sad when you have to say that...

No - you're telling me that 7-8 courses (and include join courses including these if you want) account for 50-60% of the student body? And since when does 'vast majority' mean simple majority? A vast majority would be 80% and more (thus, around 20000 students).

You clearly realised the sheer idiocy of that point and are now unsurprisingly backtracking. Warwick could have certainly done a better job. :rolleyes:
    Econ Faculty - 600/700*3 UGS + all PGS.

Business School - 1500-2000*3-4; take average 1750 *3.5 ~ 7000 UGS + all PGs

Maths - when you include maths, discrete maths, morse, etc again around 2000 UGS + all PGS.

This is well over 50% of student body. You came out with 1000 out of 25k.
    You've been chatting **** throughout.

God bless you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Welp people are posting faster than I can read :3

ReputationRep:
    Econ Faculty - 600/700*3 UGS + all PGS.

Business School - 1500-2000*3-4; take average 1750 *3.5 ~ 7000 UGS + all PGs

Maths - when you include maths, discrete maths, morse, etc again around 2000 UGS + all PGS.

This is well over 50% of student body. You came out with 1000 out of 25k.
    You've been chatting **** throughout.

God bless you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure if this is meant to be a joke or if it's serious...

You're telling me that the Business School alone has 7k students on its own(!), the Econ department has 2.1k students on its own and the Maths department 2k students plus the postgrads. Am I reading this correctly?

Fine, now that you've ridiculed yourself, let me show you just how wrong you are:
    https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/profile/people/

In 2015, Warwick's Social Sciences Faculty corresponded to 46% of the total student population. The Social Sciences Faculty includes both the Business School and Economics, on top of: Linguistics, Lifelong Learning, Education courses, Law, Philosophy, Politics and International Studies and Sociology.

IF we take your calculations into account, Econ and the WBS ALONE would total over 10.1k students - that would mean that all remaining courses in TOTAL would have just 1300-1500 students, including both undergraduates and postgraduates. For Law alone, Warwick takes about 200 UNDERGRADUATE students a YEAR. That would mean that, if you multiply that by 3 and 4 (depending on course duration), AND add the postgraduates, the other courses would simply have no students (according to your calculations).

So, I'm asking again - is this a joke? Or is it perhaps that you're pulling numbers out of your arse?

Well well...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this is meant to be a joke or if it's serious...

You're telling me that the Business School alone has 7k students on its own(!), the Econ department has 2.1k students on its own and the Maths department 2k students plus the postgrads. Am I reading this correctly?

Fine, now that you've ridiculed yourself, let me show you just how wrong you are:
    https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/profile/people/

In 2015, Warwick's Social Sciences Faculty corresponded to 46% of the total student population. The Social Sciences Faculty includes both the Business School and Economics, on top of: Linguistics, Lifelong Learning, Education courses, Law, Philosophy, Politics and International Studies and Sociology.

IF we take your calculations into account, Econ and the WBS ALONE would total over 10.1k students - that would mean that all remaining courses in TOTAL would have just 1300-1500 students, including both undergraduates and postgraduates. For Law alone, Warwick takes about 200 UNDERGRADUATE students a YEAR. That would mean that, if you multiply that by 3 and 4 (depending on course duration), AND add the postgraduates, the other courses would simply have no students (according to your calculations).

So, I'm asking again - is this a joke? Or is it perhaps that you're pulling numbers out of your arse?

Well well...
    10.1k of 25k is 40%, it might be slight over estimation but it isn't a lot. The other faculties are small.

That's highly different to the 1000 out of 25k you were banging on about. :mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...k1.a6x9iPdFqoQ - over 6k

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.