The Student Room Group

anyone else HATE christmas and find is MAJORLY DEPRESSING??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Liam_G
:emo: No we're not. You just don't get what we're about, we're too deep for conformists like you to understand. You shouldn't judge people you don't know... how would you like it if I cut myself? The second I'm finished straightening my hair, I'm gonna get the scissors out of my make-up cupboard and go to town on my forearms you inconsiderate chav. :headbang:

Spoiler

LOOL I got a PM/rant from someone saying the exact thing!! :rofl:
i despise xmas and wish it didnt exist
Reply 42
Original post by bloomblaze
i despise xmas and wish it didnt exist

why??
I don't think I hate christmas. More disillusioned with it. I know it is supposed to be about seeing family, and I am going to see them. But it wont be relaxed, family politics will rear its head and it will be a mission to get through the day without warfare.
The material side holds little appeal too, there is nothing I really want this year, other than clothes as mine are falling apart slowly so I told my parents to give the cash and I will get it when going back up, more choice in london and I don't have to lug it from one end of the country to the other...
I just don't see the point anymore which is a shame.
Boxing day sales :ninja:
Reply 45
the fact that its freezing cold, the shops are packed to the brim, i have a load of exams to revise for, i mean what could be better?
This thread is a joy aint it? :rolleyes:

I hate the build up, but as I don't live with the family it is nice to be together as a group and we all don't have work.

My family do not EXPECT a single thing. We grew up with an appreciation that we get what we are given and we are grateful. It is the only time of year my entire family (close family) make a big effort so we relish it.
Boo hoo scrooge. You go to church and pray to a pretend god. Good one.
Reply 48
I like that I spend time with my family, but the amount of waste that goes on depresses me :frown:
Reply 49
I don't hate it, just that we Muslims don't celebrate it. But I find the whole christmas eve pretty amazing
Original post by shinytoy
what proportion of your time effort and money at christmas is spent on yourself, excesses and indulging your immediate family. what proportion is spent on the poor and others without money or family. what do you DO for the less fortunate at christmas to show that you care??

:mad:

i thought so.

Well why should you have to? Personally i'd rather spend my money on my family than strangers.
It's gone a bit tits up for me. As usual I was late buying presents, now my car has died I can't get them all. I leave my job tomorrow, with no job to go to (lil hasty with the notice there)....but I get to see my parents and 3 brothers. That makes up for it.
nobdy on here knows me. im hoping people will read this and be inspired to do likewise.

before i did this, i was googling for 'good presents for homeless people' and 'giving gifts to strangers' to see what people did, if it was ok, what they might want and what they would use. i hope people can use mines to do the same. if everyone did this thee real spirit of christmas would gradually be restored adn it would not be the preserve of the rich and large-familied either, but would include the poor or forgotton, just as Christ had intended

Isn't that materialism though? As you like to put it. What's the difference between giving gifts to strangers, to giving them to family members.
I really like Christmas. The food is delicious (you can eat as much as you like!), being with your family is great, the weather is beautiful and the presents. ^^^
I only hate it as I can't stand spending longer than an hour with my family. If I had a more interesting family or could spend the day with my friends then I wouldn't mind the sparkliness and fakeness of it all. Unfortunately they're all spending Christmas with their families too so yeah looks like I have no choice in the matter.

It might be better next year when I'm not with them all the time so any time we spend together is quality catching-up instead of getting on each other's nerves.

Having said that, despite hating Christmas day, I love December. Winter ball, works meal, secret santas, social occasions with friends; that's all great. Just the whole family crap that does it for me.
Reply 55
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Isn't that materialism though? As you like to put it. What's the difference between giving gifts to strangers, to giving them to family members.

no materialism is the attitude of people "i like christmas because i like getting presents. let me make a list of all the things i want. and if no-one gives them to me, i will buy them in the sales. oooh shopping!!'

whereas if you buy a gift for the homeless, it is a symbol of love and appreciation for soeoen who would otherwise be forgotton and excluded from the preserve of the wealthy and large familied. you are saying, all the rich people with big families may have forgotton you in their rush to overindulge themselves and luxuriate in all they have, but i have not forgotton you or not noticed you.

your gift may be the only one that some of those homeless folk recive. it is sad. you should do it. or at least buy the big issue guy a Xmas Starbucks
no materialism is the attitude of people "i like christmas because i like getting presents. let me make a list of all the things i want. and if no-one gives them to me, i will buy them in the sales. oooh shopping!!'

whereas if you buy a gift for the homeless, it is a symbol of love and appreciation for soeoen who would otherwise be forgotton and excluded from the preserve of the wealthy and large familied. you are saying, all the rich people with big families may have forgotton you in their rush to overindulge themselves and luxuriate in all they have, but i have not forgotton you or not noticed you.

your gift may be the only one that some of those homeless folk recive. it is sad. you should do it. or at least buy the big issue guy a Xmas Starbucks

Do you no think Christmas is as expensive enough as it is without burdening yourself with unnecessary buys for random people? Yes I imagine it is a nice gesture, but people struggle to pay for Christmas as it is without giving out gifts to just anyone!
Wow, this country is depressing. We're not even allowed to be happy about Christmas now? Seriously?
i HATE xmas and ALWAYS get soooo depressed this time of year. i dont know what it is, the miserable weather, the sparkly fakeness, the stress of everyone expecting everything - i dont know, i just hate it soooo much i just want to sleep and have it be over.

anyone else feel the same? why?

EDIT: if you LIKE christmas, and want to go on about how JOLLY and MERRY and HAPPY you are, spending it with loads of family and getting loads of presents, please do not post. this is for miserables only so we can consolidate the sense of bah humbug.

i am spending it alone, going church 8am then ignoreing the day. i have asked everyone to give me gifts from Oxfam Unwrapped as i dont belive in materialism. Xmas sucks. i dont drink or eat meat either.

http://charliemorgan.tumblr.com/post/2101122469/christmas-2009-post
yeah man i gave a random homeless girl £20 and £50 worth of gifts including:

fur lined boots
a new puffa coat
burberry perfume
mini toiletries gift set
tiny clip on earrings
luxury soap
a large tin of special edition biccys

thermal hat, gloves, socks and scarf
sterling silver cross and chain
personal attack alarm
negro hair oil moisturiser and an afro comb
vaseline and lip gloss
mince pies
a large 1kg bag of party cheese savories
dark chocolate ginger
2 santa hats

so yeah i donated already. i just was honest maan and said, i see you everyday on my way to work, it aint right. merry xmas and handed her this massive bag. and i wrapped that sh*t up individually into loads of small parcels, wrapped real tight with ribbon and shiny paper and ting, real nice real raw and she looked like she was gonna cry. then i shouted, Praise the Lord!! then ran away.

then im goin Tridentine Mass o Xmas morning to see The Lord.

Why cant we have 4 public hls in the middle of summer instead? xmas is miserable. xmas sales are even more sorryful.oh dear :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

Yeah, cos I'm sure she'll enjoy selling the stuff in bold off for something more useful, like a hot meal or drugs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending