The Student Room Group

Working on christmas day entitlement

I have a job in a 111 NHS call centre, the office is open 24hrs 7 days a week.

I have just been given my Christmas rota and to my delight I have been given off Xmas day (which I have worked previous years).

Now I have had an influx of colleagues who have children, asking me to cover there shifts since 'I have no children'. So, my question is, do I not deserve to have a christmas off with my family (who have had a rough year) all for the sake of those who have children, who have been off previous years?
Reply 1
Original post by Court98

I have just been given my Christmas rota and to my delight I have been given off Xmas day (which I have worked previous years).

Now I have had an influx of colleagues who have children, asking me to cover there shifts since 'I have no children'. So, my question is, do I not deserve to have a christmas off with my family (who have had a rough year) all for the sake of those who have children, who have been off previous years?

As someone who always covered for others who had children, id say look after yourself and have it off. Tell them that you fully believe that parents need to be with their children at christmas, so thats why you cant let your parents down.

Take care,

Greg
Reply 2
Just take it off. It's different if you always get luck of the draw, ut you;ve done enough of your share. Just enjoy the time with your family. kids are not the be-all end-all of Xmas.
Reply 3
Original post by Court98

Don't let them bully you - say your parents need you there this year.
No, put your foot down as then they’ll just use the children excuse every year. They’ve had previous Christmases off so this one’s for you, having no children doesn’t mean it’s any less important.
Reply 5
No questions, your family Christmas is just as important as theirs and it’s your turn. No harm in them asking, they may imagine you don’t have family commitments or hate Xmas, but no harm in you letting them know how much you are looking forward to a well deserved family festive break
At the end of the day your employer is the one forcing the choice - If you are in a job that operates on holidays, this will always be an issue. You can't just count on someone else taking your shift at a national holiday.

I get why they ask (rude as it is) but I'd need to just shut them down pointing out I was (v likely) only getting this RARE one off as I'd done the last few and earned it, and its not fair or realistic to expect that to continue indefinitely. If they still pushed I'd lay it on thick that I hadn't had a family Christmas for years and my family were all looking forward to seeing me for this one since Id been given it off... see anyone that STILL pushes? Just tell them to **** off and take their entitlement with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending