The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Orite thanks :biggrin:

But looking online, it doesn't matter, you have to be 18 to apply, and since am not 18 until about the first week of uni, I think it's a bit late :tongue:
Reply 41
Hey everyone, I'm planning to live at a rented private residence during university, but will not move until close to when I start uni. I'm filling out the SAAS form right now, so should I just choose 'Own Home' and fill in my address details as my current (parents) address? Help!
Reply 42
Where does it say on SAAS when the deadline for sending the application is? I haven't seen a date anywhere and no mention of 12th of may... Am I too late?

I'm a EU national (Sweden) btw, and as I was filling in the application I too was asked to fill in two paper forms when I came to the residence information part. I have no problem doing that but some of the questions on that form are really difficult to answer as a non-UK resident.. For example, on the form my parents have to fill in it asks "Last permanent UK address" and "Reason for leaving the UK", while none of my parents have ever lived in the UK nor intend to. So how did you other non-UK people fill in those forms?
Nelien
Where does it say on SAAS when the deadline for sending the application is? I haven't seen a date anywhere and no mention of 12th of may... Am I too late?

I'm a EU national (Sweden) btw, and as I was filling in the application I too was asked to fill in two paper forms when I came to the residence information part. I have no problem doing that but some of the questions on that form are really difficult to answer as a non-UK resident.. For example, on the form my parents have to fill in it asks "Last permanent UK address" and "Reason for leaving the UK", while none of my parents have ever lived in the UK nor intend to. So how did you other non-UK people fill in those forms?

I don't know how things work for EU students. But for Scots the deadline for support this year isn't until June 2010.
Reply 44
TheOneWho
I don't know how things work for EU students. But for Scots the deadline for support this year isn't until June 2010.

Right, thought so, cheers :smile:.

So... Any idea on the other matter regarding non-UK students?
Nelien

Are you sure your parents need to fill the form? I was asked to fill two forms (one by myself and the other by a parent) as well but turns out SAAS didn't need them after all... and I'm Finnish, I don't know why they'd need them from a Swede either. I'd ask to find out if they're really necessary. And in case you really do need to return them just put N/A or something.
Reply 46
citiesindust
Are you sure your parents need to fill the form? I was asked to fill two forms (one by myself and the other by a parent) as well but turns out SAAS didn't need them after all... and I'm Finnish, I don't know why they'd need them from a Swede either. I'd ask to find out if they're really necessary. And in case you really do need to return them just put N/A or something.

Ah, well, I did send an e-mail to SAAS asking them just that, if I really need to send in those forms. It does say pretty clearly on the online application and the forms that if I don't send the forms the application can' be precessed so it's kind of odd that they would in the end not require them at all.

Oh well, I'll just wait a week more or so for them to reply (they're damn slow at that...) and then call them if they haven't replied by then.

Thanks for the reply citiesindust. When did you send your application? Has it already been approved?
I sent my application at the end of April and got a reply in two weeks or so.
Reply 48
Oooh, look at this! Today I got the reply from SAAS, they said:

Hi Jakob as you are applying as an EU student for tuition fees only award you are not required to complete the ab10a and ab10b forms, you just need to complete the online application once submitted we will assess your entitlement to have you tuition fees paid.

So, like you said citesindust, the forms were not required. Time to send off the application!
Reply 49
Guys, if you're an EU student and want to apply for SAAS, do it now! I applied last week on May 26 and I just got a letter dated May 27 with my awards notice. Which means that it took them one day (!!!!) to process my application. It's sort of jaw-dropping. Apparently they're working fast right now, so go get that application done! :biggrin:
Reply 50
Sabinnie
Guys, if you're an EU student and want to apply for SAAS, do it now! I applied last week on May 26 and I just got a letter dated May 27 with my awards notice. Which means that it took them one day (!!!!) to process my application. It's sort of jaw-dropping. Apparently they're working fast right now, so go get that application done! :biggrin:

So you're saying that they appear to be on application frenzy over at SAAS and we should take the opportunity? :wink:

Actually I think the reason it's so fast for EU students (took 2,5 days for me and 4 days more for the letter to arrive) is that they only have to approve for payment of tuition fees. While Scottish and UK students on the other hand can apply for bursaries, loans, travel expenses, grants, etc.. which obviously takes a lot longer to go through and verify.

But yeah, EU students who have not sent off their application should do that to get that off your mind! It's pretty quick once you know what to do and you'll get a reply really fast.

If you have any questions about filling it in I could try to help out according to how I filled it in :smile:.
Reply 51
Nelien
So you're saying that they appear to be on application frenzy over at SAAS and we should take the opportunity? :wink:

Yes. :biggrin: Hey, it's free money, so everyone should go and get theirs.

You're probably right about the tuition fee thing though.
Reply 52
Can someone help with the actual income assessed bit, my parents don't understand (english ain their first language) and I have no clue....

I've gotten to the bit where you enter their information on income. I've been reading the help guide along with it and have got the PAYE income done on both but I'm stuggling with the rest.

Only my brother has down this before (but he's resistant to help!). What other info do I need? Would I be able to send it away with just that? I know for sure some parts don't apply to them but I don't get the bit which says

' National Savings accounts, bonds, loans, settlements and trusts, gratuities, profits from boarders, casual fees and so on*

Bank and/or building society interest received*

Dividends received*

Other income*"

I know its not very helpful but What and where do I get these from if and could someone please explain what they are..... god am coming accross more dense than usual :tongue:

ANy help with do thanks! :biggrin:

If I sent it will they reject it or contact me if more is needed?
Reply 53
javjamoll
Can someone help with the actual income assessed bit, my parents don't understand (english ain their first language) and I have no clue....

I've gotten to the bit where you enter their information on income. I've been reading the help guide along with it and have got the PAYE income done on both but I'm stuggling with the rest.

Only my brother has down this before (but he's resistant to help!). What other info do I need? Would I be able to send it away with just that? I know for sure some parts don't apply to them but I don't get the bit which says

' National Savings accounts, bonds, loans, settlements and trusts, gratuities, profits from boarders, casual fees and so on*

Bank and/or building society interest received*

Dividends received*

Other income*"

I know its not very helpful but What and where do I get these from if and could someone please explain what they are..... god am coming accross more dense than usual :tongue:

ANy help with do thanks! :biggrin:

If I sent it will they reject it or contact me if more is needed?

You don't need to feel dense :smile:, I thought much of the SAAS application was pretty weird and badly explained. That help sheet was pretty much worthless...

I can't help you with your question though, I assume that section is for the loan or something else other than just tuition fees since I didn't have to put in any details about income or anything.

But I guess that if you didn't have any previous loans or particular incomes you shouldn't need to type anything in there (if the application allows you to leave it blank). On my application I had to write ALL my previous work and unemployment periods but I only put in the last job I had, didn't feel like writing down every single job/unemployment period and guessed it wasn't really that important. I didn't have a problem with my application and the tuition fees was approved in two days.

I think most of the information is "just in case" information for special cases. But then again, I guess they are more careful with loans, bursaries and other stuff that you have to pay back.

Hope that was of any help.
Reply 54
Thanks. Yeah, its hard to give advice without knowing people obviously lol!

I think I'll ask my brother again, but I'll know what he'll say.

Then just send it away, yeah its for the income assessed section of the form. You can leave it at 0.00 - I'm just unsure if I need to put stuff in etc.

Yeah I didn't understadn the section no employment either! It says "Have you been in full time employment or unemployed" Then a yes or no answer, underneath it then tells you to skip if you clicked no. Although on the help sheets it says list all fulltime/parttime or unemployement periods.....
Reply 55
what about graduates? if i wish , after graduating scottish univ, study for ex. 5 yrs medicinde course in scottland to? i am eligible for anything?
Reply 56
ok, sent off.

When should I send the evidence documents to them? :redface: Now or do they tell me when?
Reply 57
God this is a pain in the arse, the internet bit is OK, but I have to print of and fill in two resident eligibility forms, its very annoying.

It keeps asking when was the last time I lived in the UK, my parents or I have never lived in the UK, and it just asks us stupid round about questions. I rang and asked if it was really nessacary to fill in, and they said yes. Uegh, I hate forms.
Reply 58
tim131
God this is a pain in the arse, the internet bit is OK, but I have to print of and fill in two resident eligibility forms, its very annoying.

It keeps asking when was the last time I lived in the UK, my parents or I have never lived in the UK, and it just asks us stupid round about questions. I rang and asked if it was really nessacary to fill in, and they said yes. Uegh, I hate forms.

If you're an EU student and neither your parents nor you have ever lived in the UK, you do not need to fill this out. It always comes up for everyone who applies, and numerous people have called and they were told they wouldn't have to fill it in.

I didn't fill it in and I got an awards notice about my tuition fees being paid straight away. So, just do the online thing and ignore the forms. :smile:
Reply 59
Sabinnie
If you're an EU student and neither your parents nor you have ever lived in the UK, you do not need to fill this out. It always comes up for everyone who applies, and numerous people have called and they were told they wouldn't have to fill it in.

I didn't fill it in and I got an awards notice about my tuition fees being paid straight away. So, just do the online thing and ignore the forms. :smile:

I thought the same, but the person I phoned said I have to fill them in, argh, I'm confused now!

Latest

Trending

Trending