The Student Room Group

London Anti-Austerity Protest Turns Nasty

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yes I'm sure had our 'broken' system of the person with the most votes in an area getting to represent that area in Parliament (which is apparently self-evidently ludicrous) produced the opposite result they'd be out there making it plain that this is unacceptable.

What you mean by 'there's no such thing as fair representation' is 'the people I wanted to be in charge aren't in charge'.

No, I mean the seats do not accurately represent the votes.

Look at UKIP. Four million votes, and next to zero representation. I'm far from a fan of UKIP, but it's proof the system is utterly broken.
Original post by Barack Obama
You reap what you sow, Britain. Enjoy another 5 years of austerity and attacks on the vulnerable. Rupert Murdoch must be delighted.

I support the protestors.

You personally disgust me. And so does Mr Obama, but you mainly.
Original post by Meyrin
No, I mean the seats do not accurately represent the votes.

Look at UKIP. Four million votes, and next to zero representation. I'm far from a fan of UKIP, but it's proof the system is utterly broken.

No, it isn't. It's a statistic that's irrelevant to the system, because the system doesn't work on the basis of overall national vote.

Besides which, these people are out there protesting against a right wing government. Would they have been happier with the ConKIP coalition that PR would have produced on the voting numbers we had? I rather doubt it. They're just talking about PR because they can't string two coherent thoughts together and will seize on any opportunity to have a good tantrum.
If anyone wants a more proportional/representative/whatever it's supposed to be government, it would have almost certainly been a Conservative-UKIP coalition.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
No, it isn't. It's a statistic that's irrelevant to the system, because the system doesn't work on the basis of overall national vote.

Besides which, these people are out there protesting against a right wing government. Would they have been happier with the ConKIP coalition that PR would have produced on the voting numbers we had? I rather doubt it. They're just talking about PR because they can't string two coherent thoughts together and will seize on any opportunity to have a good tantrum.

...which is the problem.

I doubt it. If such a coalition had been decided by the majority, then what could they say? The problem is this an outcome the majority didn't vote for, yet they will end up suffering the most for it.
Original post by Barack Obama
You reap what you sow, Britain. Enjoy another 5 years of austerity and attacks on the vulnerable. Rupert Murdoch must be delighted.

I support the protestors.

So you support violent protest against democracy resulting in damage and injury?
Original post by Meyrin
...which is the problem.

I doubt it. If such a coalition had been decided by the majority, then what could they say? The problem is this an outcome the majority didn't vote for, yet they will end up suffering the most for it.

The person who gets the most votes in an area represents that area in Parliament. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with that other than that it happens to have produced a result you don't like. Even if it were a fundamentally unacceptable system (there's an argument for that, by the way, it's just that taking it as a truism that the only legitimate form of government is one produced by the particular kind of voting system you're imagining makes you appear thoughtless) this isn't what they're protesting about. They're protesting, on any pretext they can, because people voted for people they don't like, and that would be as true under PR as it is under FPTP.
For all of you suggesting the protest is illegitimate - are you aware that it started off peaceful? It recieved little to no coverage at that moment though; search up John snow's interview of an occupy democracy activist - it was perfectly peaceful.

Unfortunately the media coverage dispersion it finally did get stepped up once the minority of idiots facing the police began to kick off under pressure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ki Yung Na
For all of you suggesting the protest is illegitimate - are you aware that it started off peaceful? It recieved little to no coverage at that moment though; search up John snow's interview of an occupy democracy activist - it was perfectly peaceful.

Unfortunately the media coverage dispersion it finally did get stepped up once the minority of idiots facing the police began to kick off under pressure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who wants to read about a peaceful a protest?
Just as people in the past had the right to protest against a government that the MAJORITY of the people didn't vote for, so they do now - it wouldn't matter if all the people in the past protested and it wouldn't matter if none or them did - the fact is that if you have am election where almost 2/3 of the voting population don't vote for a party, and that same party gains a majority, then the people have not only a right but a good reason for protesting
Obviously going to be a bit of trouble under a tory government.

Don't worry Dave you do God's work! Get the plebs back into work of some sort!
Ignorant commies smashing things up as usual.

Vandalising memorials to the very people to whom they owe their own liberty.

Trying to force their own views through by violent protest, rather than accepting the will of the electorate.

Cretins.
Reply 52
Well the protestors have boostd the popularity of the Tories, it is a fail for them.
Another example of people who only believe in democracy when it suits them, and resort to violence when they don't get what they want. Pathetic and distasteful.
They won't get any benefits like this, cut them all down to the bone!!
So, apparently there has been a protest down in London against the new democratically elected Tory government. Now obviously there is an argument to be made that the FPTP electoral system is unrepresentative, sure, but I find it highly unlikely you'd see these people protesting if labour had got in with identical numbers.
It's a shame to see how the message of a demonstration is lost by the violence that took place. It always disgusts me when protesters take it out on police, there is no need - not their fault there is a conservative government, they're just doing their job.

I'm glad to see the protest, sad to see it turned violent. I think this shows a clear message that our voting system is messed up. Furthermore drives me insane to hear people complaining and deeming it as 'typical lefties', also making the assumption under PR we would have Conservative/UKIP. 33.9% of people didn't vote. To me this suggests people are very politically disengaged and a lot probably don't vote because their vote under the current system is worth nothing. I'm not saying all those that don't vote would vote for left wing parties, but I'm saying it's wrong to assume they wouldn't vote at all if we had PR.

Furthermore, we need more action like this (minus the violent aspect and vandalism). More people should be taking to the streets, democracy isn't something for every 5 years, it's something we should constantly be engaged with - and it's is the responsibility of any elected government to listen. Shouldn't be a case of us voting them in and letting them do what they please, especially when most break half their initial pledges anyway.

Original post by Roving Fish
A reason like years of previous overspending on Britain's welfare system created unrealistic expectations of what to receive as if it's a right. When addressed and scaled back, people protest?

I'm against welfare cuts to those who are genuinely in need, but those who rely on it instead of working (i.e. Benefit Britain) is so so so so so wrong.

The problem is the Conservatives want to cut areas where people need it or should be receiving it - for example the Disability Allowances. Furthermore I think you largely overestimate the size 'Benefit Britain'. Labour probably haven't done much good for welfare - the system is tremendously flawed, but the Tory's aren't doing much to positively change it. If anything they are making it harder for those living off benefits to get a decent job.
At the end of the day, the Tories won. I didn't vote for them. I voted Liberal democrats, but they did win. Whatever form of democracy you want. FPTP, AV or PR, the Tories would still have won the majority of the seats.

And a democracy is all about different opinions. If someone else wins,buck up and make sure that they dont come to power down the line. If you lose, you do as the labour party said on QT, they looked at where they went wrong, and how they're going to try and get their votes next time round..

However you look at it, the majority of the UK did vote the Tories in. This being said, the irony of it all is that in a democratic society, this is exactly what you're allowed to do! (Regarding the protests)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The_Internet
At the end of the day, the Tories won. I didn't vote for them. I voted Liberal democrats, but they did win. Whatever form of democracy you want. FPTP, AV or PR, the Tories would still have won the majority of the seats.

And a democracy is all about different opinions. If someone else wins,buck up and make sure that they dont come to power down the line. If you lose, you do as the labour party said on QT, they looked at where they went wrong, and how they're going to try and get their votes next time round..

However you look at it, the majority of the UK did vote the Tories in.

What's more, under AV these scumbags' sworn enemy, UKIP, would have held the balance of power.

So what exactly do they want? Dictatorship of the proletariat? Or plain old dictatorship?
Reply 59
Original post by The_Internet

However you look at it, the majority of the UK did vote the Tories in. This being said, the irony of it all is that in a democratic society, this is exactly what you're allowed to do! (Regarding the protests)

They would've had a majority but only by about 6% which labour would easily be able to match teaming up with another party.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending