The Student Room Group

Anyone else struggle with which denomination church to go to?

I am figuring out Protestant, Anglican and Catholic distinctions. Obviously I think primary importance is a relationship with Jesus and God. But there are other nuances confusing me. Does anyone else struggle with which denomination to attend church at?
I prayed for salvation in a Catholic church. I came to Jesus, I believe through attending this church and through certain other influences that were Catholic. But I am not Catholic and I am slightly confused about faith and works.I do not believe in purgatory like in Catholicism. But this is not set in stone I could be wrong and I feel an attraction also to the first church I prayed in and have received real love there also. It gets complex when you get into communion, and baptism. And then Protestant Anglican Catholic distinctions.

Anyone else struggle with denomination and decisions this way?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm a cradle Roman Catholic so can't identify with how you're feeling, but I imagine it is quite a minefield to navigate. Don't rush yourself: it's a big decision (if you end up making one - you can be non-denominational too!), so it's important to take your time. Explore different traditions, read up about them and their beliefs/teachings and see which one resonates with your spirituality and personal values. I think it's very easy to get sentimental and attached to the first church that brought you into 'the fold' but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the right reason to stay. If that makes sense? :h:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm a cradle Roman Catholic so can't identify with how you're feeling, but I imagine it is quite a minefield to navigate. Don't rush yourself: it's a big decision (if you end up making one - you can be non-denominational too!), so it's important to take your time. Explore different traditions, read up about them and their beliefs/teachings and see which one resonates with your spirituality and personal values. I think it's very easy to get sentimental and attached to the first church that brought you into 'the fold' but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the right reason to stay. If that makes sense? :h:

Thanks. I edited above because I felt nervous making a definitive statement about faith and works. I'm still figuring it out is the truth it's confusing.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Thanks. I edited above because I felt nervous making a definitive statement about faith and works. I'm still figuring it out is the truth it's confusing.

It's OK - albeit uncomfortable and can feel long - to be figuring things out.

What confuses you about faith and works? Not that I'm the best Catholic to ask about these things, but happy to try and help if I can :smile:
It's OK - albeit uncomfortable and can feel long - to be figuring things out.

What confuses you about faith and works? Not that I'm the best Catholic to ask about these things, but happy to try and help if I can :smile:

Whether salvation is by faith alone and not by works also. Although the Bible says faith without works is dead, it also said salvation is through god's grace alone and faith not works. Protestants seem to think you can go to hell by thinking works contribute to salvation. It troubles me.
(edited 1 year ago)
Some protestants that should read.
Whether salvation is by faith alone and not by works also. Although the Bible says faith without works is dead, it also said salvation is through god's grace alone and faith not works. Protestants seem to think you can go to hell by thinking works contribute to salvation. It troubles me.

Tbh I think a lot of the Catholic-Protestant debate is talking at cross-purposes. Some Protestants like to focus on the "works" bit of what Roman Catholicism teaches and get all heated up about that, acting as if Roman Catholics things good deeds are the most important bit to get you into Heaven. Whereas that's not what Roman Catholic teaching is! That's why we say "faith and works" - the faith word always comes first in what Roman Catholicism teaches.

The jist of what Roman Catholicism teaches is that believing in God and that Jesus has redeemed us through His sacrifice on the Cross for us is the most important thing - but that the proof is in the pudding and that we cannot just pay lip service to that, or believe but not be/act as a good person. Our belief in our salvation (and God's teachings in general) must permeate everything we do and be evidenced in how we live our lives. I personally can't see how this can be a controversial or incorrect/false teaching - and Anglicans who I have talked to believe in this as well, they just don't use the phrase "faith and works" in their own description of it.

To give a super-extreme example of faith v. faith and works: had Hitler been a self-professing Protestant Christian who truly believed in God and who believed Jesus had died to save us - but Hitler did all the atrocious things that we know he did/commanded others to do. Does it make sense to you that Hitler automatically goes to Heaven, just because he truly professed to believe in God?
Tbh I think a lot of the Catholic-Protestant debate is talking at cross-purposes. Some Protestants like to focus on the "works" bit of what Roman Catholicism teaches and get all heated up about that, acting as if Roman Catholics things good deeds are the most important bit to get you into Heaven. Whereas that's not what Roman Catholic teaching is! That's why we say "faith and works" - the faith word always comes first in what Roman Catholicism teaches.

The jist of what Roman Catholicism teaches is that believing in God and that Jesus has redeemed us through His sacrifice on the Cross for us is the most important thing - but that the proof is in the pudding and that we cannot just pay lip service to that, or believe but not be/act as a good person. Our belief in our salvation (and God's teachings in general) must permeate everything we do and be evidenced in how we live our lives. I personally can't see how this can be a controversial or incorrect/false teaching - and Anglicans who I have talked to believe in this as well, they just don't use the phrase "faith and works" in their own description of it.

To give a super-extreme example of faith v. faith and works: had Hitler been a self-professing Protestant Christian who truly believed in God and who believed Jesus had died to save us - but Hitler did all the atrocious things that we know he did/commanded others to do. Does it make sense to you that Hitler automatically goes to Heaven, just because he truly professed to believe in God?

Ok thought provoking. Am still confused tbh. This will need time. Maybe I'm better off being non-denominational.
(edited 1 year ago)
Ok thought provoking. Am still confused tbh. This will need time. Maybe I'm better off being non-denominational.

These things def need time and considered thought. It's good not to rush it and OK (albeit not fun) to feel confused. Try not to pressure or pigeonhole yourself - and don't let others (myself included!) sway or pressurise you much either. Loads of people will be keen to prey on you (as well as praying for you) :eek:
I also am a bit apprehensive about evangelism. I don't know what the varying denominations views are yet but I feel I'd be very bad at spreading the word, not so inclined. I'd need to learn the skill as it doesn't come naturally if you are more privately spiritual.
I also am a bit apprehensive about evangelism. I don't know what the varying denominations views are yet but I feel I'd be very bad at spreading the word, not so inclined. I'd need to learn the skill as it doesn't come naturally if you are more privately spiritual.

Yeah I feel you on that! :five: I don't bother with it, personally - at least not in a conventional sense :nah:
Ok I have read an excellent article on this topic and am coming round to the Catholic point of view.

https://catholicism.org/faith-and-good-works.html

I still have more questions like why pray to Saints and Mary? And why 7 sacraments rather than 2? But I guess I need to research more.
(edited 1 year ago)
Ok I have read an excellent article on this topic and am coming round to the Catholic point of view.

https://catholicism.org/faith-and-good-works.html

I still have more questions like why pray to Saints and Mary? And why 7 sacraments rather than 2? But I guess I need to research more.

I think a lot of Roman Catholics are incorrectly taught about the first one. Technically, one isn't praying to them (they are not deities/to be worshipped!) but praying through them - however most Roman Catholics don't know/think about the distinction. People use words like "pray to" which then - understandably! - confuses other denominations about what it is we're (meant to be) doing.

The saints and the Virgin Mary have no power in or of themselves - but the understanding according to Sacred Tradition is that these are holy people who reside in Heaven (rather than Purgatory) and who are close to God. As such, we live and pray in the hope that, by petitioning these saints/the Virgin Mary to support us in prayer by taking our prayers to God, these prayers may be more likely to be answered - or that we will become more like these saints/the Virgin Mary, i.e. get better at listening/adhering to God's will.

I liken it to asking a particularly devout aunty/grandparent/member of your church congregation to pray for you: it's the same principle, to my mind.

As for seven sacraments: I don't know how other denominations define sacraments but in Roman Catholicism, a sacrament is a tangible/visible symbol of God's presence in the world. Hence there being so many :biggrin: There are probably deeper theological reasons than that, but I'm afraid I haven't read up on/thought about this topic much :colondollar:
I think a lot of Roman Catholics are incorrectly taught about the first one. Technically, one isn't praying to them (they are not deities/to be worshipped!) but praying through them - however most Roman Catholics don't know/think about the distinction. People use words like "pray to" which then - understandably! - confuses other denominations about what it is we're (meant to be) doing.

The saints and the Virgin Mary have no power in or of themselves - but the understanding according to Sacred Tradition is that these are holy people who reside in Heaven (rather than Purgatory) and who are close to God. As such, we live and pray in the hope that, by petitioning these saints/the Virgin Mary to support us in prayer by taking our prayers to God, these prayers may be more likely to be answered - or that we will become more like these saints/the Virgin Mary, i.e. get better at listening/adhering to God's will.

I liken it to asking a particularly devout aunty/grandparent/member of your church congregation to pray for you: it's the same principle, to my mind.

As for seven sacraments: I don't know how other denominations define sacraments but in Roman Catholicism, a sacrament is a tangible/visible symbol of God's presence in the world. Hence there being so many :biggrin: There are probably deeper theological reasons than that, but I'm afraid I haven't read up on/thought about this topic much :colondollar:

No problems and thanks for your time. I'll make a decision in the end I'm sure. I just worry that those prayers could supercede praying to God. Do you have any experience relating to that within church?
(edited 1 year ago)
No problems and thanks for your time. I'll make a decision in the end I'm sure. I just worry that those prayers could supercede praying to God. Do you have any experience relating to that within church?

I think for some people it can end up like that, but not because of what the Church itself teaches, but because they aren't taught the teachings properly at school/their parish church. If you see what I mean?

I can only speak for myself but - as someone who understands God as being male, and who has experienced trauming involving both the main genders, but repeatedly by various men - I personally find it helpful to have female figures within the church to talk to. That doesn't mean I think they have power in or of themselves, or that I'm worshipping them or think they are worthy of worship. But I've not felt able to pray directly to God or Jesus for about a decade now. So it helps (rightly or wrongly) to have religious saints to chat to and be like "can you take this to God for me?" :yes:

That's so refreshing and wonderful to hear. :smile:
Please don't ever change your mind.

The catholic church, most other churches or christian movements have far too many zealot loudmouths and overbearing fanatics always hunting for potential converts - the lot of them make a dreadful nuisance of themselves on par with the JW doorkockers.
Noisy pests antics earn normal people who go to church such a bad reputation.
I think for some people it can end up like that, but not because of what the Church itself teaches, but because they aren't taught the teachings properly at school/their parish church. If you see what I mean?

I can only speak for myself but - as someone who understands God as being male, and who has experienced trauming involving both the main genders, but repeatedly by various men - I personally find it helpful to have female figures within the church to talk to. That doesn't mean I think they have power in or of themselves, or that I'm worshipping them or think they are worthy of worship. But I've not felt able to pray directly to God or Jesus for about a decade now. So it helps (rightly or wrongly) to have religious saints to chat to and be like "can you take this to God for me?" :yes:

Thanks for explaining.

I’m protestant and i don’t believe this exactly (ie that you will go to hell for thinking this) 🗿 bible clearly says faith and works go hand in hand
i think it’s that (from some of the Catholics I’ve conversed with) some people genuinely believe you cannot be saved without being baptised by water, for example. And so that can be interpreted as meaning that we need to do stuff here on earth to ‘work’ towards our salvation, whereas the Word says we’re saved by grace alone, a gift we cannot take credit for.
what i believe is that through faith, you will naturally do these works. ‘If you truly love the Father you will do what He says’
doing either without the other is pointless.
+ james 1:22
Original post by cersef
I’m protestant and i don’t believe this exactly (ie that you will go to hell for thinking this) 🗿 bible clearly says faith and works go hand in hand
i think it’s that (from some of the Catholics I’ve conversed with) some people genuinely believe you cannot be saved without being baptised by water, for example. And so that can be interpreted as meaning that we need to do stuff here on earth to ‘work’ towards our salvation, whereas the Word says we’re saved by grace alone, a gift we cannot take credit for.
what i believe is that through faith, you will naturally do these works. ‘If you truly love the Father you will do what He says’
doing either without the other is pointless.
+ james 1:22

Thanks.
Original post by Kota-Kentah
Would you like to come to the London International Christian Church? We are non-denominational and we strictly follow the Bible. We have an Easter service this Sunday at 11am if you'd like to come out

Thankyou very much might be hard to get to London though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending