The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Camford
STEP is not a competition. It is compulsary if you want to do maths in Cambridge. I'm talking about the Physics Olympiad, Chemistry Olympiad and such. I'm having a pretty busy two weeks coming up.

Physics Olympiad Round 2: 7th Nov.
SMC: 11th Nov
Imperial College Interview: 12th Nov.

Thanks to the National Express promotion offer, london return only cost 5 pounds including insurance.

I was at Imperial on the 12th Nov! Did you get a place? What subject?
Reply 41
theone
This year's boundries are as follows:

Gold: 87 and above
Silver: 72-86
Bronze: 61-71

All candidates scoring over 98 are entered automatically for the BMO Round 1. Should candidates scoring lower want to enter, a lower threshold of 96 has been set, below which a candidate shouldn't be entered.

Wahoo. Back in the BMO again. Would have been 105 if I didn't have the balloonist flying through the centre of the earth... :frown: Where did you get the info from btw?
Reply 42
Goat
I was at Imperial on the 12th Nov! Did you get a place? What subject?

I did get a place for computer science. You?

This year's boundaries look much higher than last years. 96 is the suggested qualification mark for BMO. But I think the actual boundary for invitation is slightly higher, maybe 98?
Reply 43
Camford
I did get a place for computer science. You?

This year's boundaries look much higher than last years. 96 is the suggested qualification mark for BMO. But I think the actual boundary for invitation is slightly higher, maybe 98?

Yeah I got an offer aswell. I was one of the people who walked in late to the talk at the start! Got a bit lost in south kensington.
Reply 44
This year's BMO qualifying mark is 98, although candidates over 96 can enter if they wish to.
Reply 45
Silver certificate. Yes!

Anyone else got their certificates?
Reply 46
ZJuwelH
Silver certificate. Yes!

Anyone else got their certificates?

I'm not having mine this year. Damn it! was sick on the day. But I'm going to BMO nontheless. :biggrin: 3 and half.
I'm not that good at maths, I get straight A's but not like full marks for modules or anything like that.

I did SMC and got 75. Am not doing maths at uni though, I'm doing Engineering.
Reply 48
figgetyfig
I'm not that good at maths, I get straight A's but not like full marks for modules or anything like that.

I did SMC and got 75. Am not doing maths at uni though, I'm doing Engineering.

I don't give damn about full marks. Nor do I give a damn about Maths, at the moment anyway.
May I just remind you that this thread is titled: "Senior Maths Challenge anyone?"

I was amazed to hear about people getting ridiculously high marks as the highest in our school was 89. we must really suck.
Reply 50
figgetyfig
May I just remind you that this thread is titled: "Senior Maths Challenge anyone?"

I was amazed to hear about people getting ridiculously high marks as the highest in our school was 89. we must really suck.

May I just remind you that I started this thread. Anyway, I am still pissed off because I missed the actual exam. Apparently, I have been shown a list of the top 78 scorers in this country. As a matter of fact, if you scored higher than 115 (or is it 110?) you are on the list. you have to remember that there were 60000 pupils taking part. I'm sure there are quite a lot of them scored lower than 25. For instance me.
Reply 51
Camford
Just wondering how many of you out there is going to do the Maths Challenge this year? Apparently there were three people in the country got full marks last year.

Yes i took the senior maths challenge this year and i was 8 marks off a bronze certificate.

Apparently our teacher told us ten people got full marks...one boy in our sixth form got a silver and three got bronze. :wink:

Our teacher was well pleased as he said he taught three them! :rolleyes:

What did you get? ... or have you got the results yet?

i thought it was hard... the people who got full marks must be well clever! :wink:

CoraBelle
Reply 52
CoraBelle
Yes i took the senior maths challenge this year and i was 8 marks off a bronze certificate.

Apparently our teacher told us ten people got full marks...one boy in our sixth form got a silver and three got bronze. :wink:

Our teacher was well pleased as he said he taught three them! :rolleyes:

What did you get? ... or have you got the results yet?

i thought it was hard... the people who got full marks must be well clever! :wink:

CoraBelle

I got nothing this year. But I've had my share glory already. The local newspaper used 1/3 of a side to cover the story last year and half of which is my head.
theone
I took BMO 1 last year and got an incredible 14/50, so no book for me, I was well disappointed, but the 34! question was awful, totally unfair if you didn't know the divisiblity, although i should have :smile:

I got something like that too.
Reply 54
I made it onto this talked-about list with 121 :smile:
Reply 55
Camford
As a matter of fact, if you scored higher than 115 (or is it 110?) you are on the list. .

You needed 116 to make it onto the list.
Reply 56
theone
You needed 116 to make it onto the list.

Good luck with BMO1 on the 3rd
Reply 57
theone
I made it onto this talked-about list with 121 :smile:

Well done you chief (derogatory word in my neck of the woods)

<stares in envy>
i got 100 but got the ballon man q wrong as well :-(
Reply 59
I really wanted to do the SMC this year as I've done the lower ones every year possible. Last year I was the third person ever from my school to get to the Intermediate Olympiad. But this year they just told me when I asked that they don't do the senior one :frown:. My maths teacher (who is reasonably new and didn't know they didn't do it) was quite annoyed with that. They told me to go and do the Scottish Maths Challenge instead - evil incarnate! And you have to do it in your precious free time and show lots of working {shudders at the thought}
Congrats to everyone who did get to do it this year :biggrin:

Latest