The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Camford
Just wondering how many of you out there is going to do the Maths Challenge this year? Apparently there were three people in the country got full marks last year.

I'm doing it! My whole Maths class is. Got a gold in the Intermediate, I was well proud! I was ill on the day of the Junior though, doh!
When is it anyway? Can we use this thread to compare answers and results afterwards?
Camford
Just wondering how many of you out there is going to do the Maths Challenge this year? Apparently there were three people in the country got full marks last year.

I've done that twice, once when I was 12 and when I was 13 I did the one for the 15-16 year olds and was only 1/2 people that passed. But I get the impression your talking about a Maths Challenge for older than what I did as of the 'Senior'?
Reply 3
happysunshine
I've done that twice, once when I was 12 and when I was 13 I did the one for the 15-16 year olds and was only 1/2 people that passed. But I get the impression your talking about a Maths Challenge for older than what I did as of the 'Senior'?

Yeah you did the Junior and Intermediate I bet. Damn you did the Intermediate at age 13?!
Reply 4
11th of November, 10 days from today. There were 60000 students took part last year, so I was told. I got gold and a book last year for doing well in British Mathematical Olympiad round 1. I was kind dispointed that I was the only who had to do the 3 and half hour BMO1 paper. And I was sitting opposite to an old man, whom was the guy taught the AEA group in my college last year. All of the further maths groups are entered for the competition this year. It's going to be interesting to see who's going to in the top 100 of the nation this time around.

Any other competition you lot doing this year?
ZJuwelH
Yeah you did the Junior and Intermediate I bet. Damn you did the Intermediate at age 13?!

Yeah? Why is that good or something?
Reply 6
happysunshine
Yeah? Why is that good or something?

Hahaha! It's very decent, I did mine in Year 10 and beat everyone in my school, but to even attempt it at 13 is applaudable.
Reply 7
ZJuwelH
Hahaha! It's very decent, I did mine in Year 10 and beat everyone in my school, but to even attempt it at 13 is applaudable.

Have I mentioned someone in my school did that at 12?
Reply 8
Camford
11th of November, 10 days from today. There were 60000 students took part last year, so I was told. I got gold and a book last year for doing well in British Mathematical Olympiad round 1. I was kind dispointed that I was the only who had to do the 3 and half hour BMO1 paper. And I was sitting opposite to an old man, whom was the guy taught the AEA group in my college last year. All of the further maths groups are entered for the competition this year. It's going to be interesting to see who's going to in the top 100 of the nation this time around.

Besides STEP and the SMC, nothing else. Thanks for the date information Camford!
Reply 9
Lord Huntroyde

<yawn>
Reply 10
STEP is not a competition. It is compulsary if you want to do maths in Cambridge. I'm talking about the Physics Olympiad, Chemistry Olympiad and such. I'm having a pretty busy two weeks coming up.

Physics Olympiad Round 2: 7th Nov.
SMC: 11th Nov
Imperial College Interview: 12th Nov.

Thanks to the National Express promotion offer, london return only cost 5 pounds including insurance.
Reply 11
ZJuwelH
<yawn>

He's a Maths genius!!!
Camford

Your school had someone teach AEA? According to exam. board AEA just asks for more in-depth awareness of syllabus and should not need to be tutored for. That seems somewhat unfair of your school in my opinion.
No-one at my school is tutored for it!
Reply 13
Oh and a year 10 kid in a local grammer school beat me by 13 marks last year 105 to 92. But he didn't get anything from the first round of BMO. :smile:

I got the book and he didn't. :wink: (quietly saying to himself : I'm evil pure evil)
Reply 14
Camford
STEP is not a competition. It is compulsary if you want to do maths in Cambridge. I'm talking about the Physics Olympiad, Chemistry Olympiad and such. I'm having a pretty busy two weeks coming up.

Physics Olympiad Round 2: 7th Nov.
SMC: 11th Nov
Imperial College Interview: 12th Nov.

Thanks to the National Express promotion offer, london return only cost 5 pounds including insurance.

I didn't mean STEP was a competition, I was just saying what Maths-related things I was doing. Good luck with your busy fortnight!
Lord Huntroyde

And there was me feeling quite pleased with myself!
Unregistered
Your school had someone teach AEA? According to exam. board AEA just asks for more in-depth awareness of syllabus and should not need to be tutored for. That seems somewhat unfair of your school in my opinion.
No-one at my school is tutored for it!

Some schools also tutor for the Maths Challenge and some don't.
Reply 17
Camford
Oh and a year 10 kid in a local grammer school beat me by 13 marks last year 105 to 92. But he didn't get anything from the first round of BMO. :smile:

I got the book and he didn't. :wink: (quietly saying to himself : I'm evil pure evil)

Where's local to you?
Reply 18
happysunshine
And there was me feeling quite pleased with myself!

Don't worry, he got in the top 5 GCSE results at 13, so he's a freak, basically.
Reply 19
we only had one lesson a week. and for most of the year, the teacher didn't teach anything. Even though I think he's probably the best maths teacher in the entire college, he only taught 5 lessons a week. 4 lessons for the normal A2 maths, and 1 AEA. For you ears only this is. There were two first year students in the group. And those were the only two got passed the final exam. Surprisingly with disdinction. All second years failed.

Local name Leicester.

Latest