The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

katgirly104
Ive started AS psychology this year and think its the most interestin subject ive eva done, i no that its wot i wana do at uni, without a doubt, n dont think its worthless at all, jus because it seems like so everyone is doin a psychology degree doesnt make it any less valued, an i av found out that clinical psychologists are highly in demand. of course psychology is a worthwhile subject, a career in it is helpin people to come to terms with their life, and with mental disorders, wot if there were no psychologists around? we'd all be goin mad!

indeed :biggrin:

I dont really like the attitudes of psychologists tho, they seem a bit, uncaring to me.... 'you have schizophrenia, so get in that mental institution, be looked down upon, be inferior, and dont talk to me!'
I've wanted to do psychology and counselling since I was about 9 and my Dad used to see a counseller and I had to go with him one day. When I was about 15 I heard how easy psychology was and how people look at it as not being as worth as much but i figured doing something I enjoy and plan to do in the future, is worth a lot more than doign something like maths and science just to look good.

What really annoys me is that people assume that psychology is a doss, and that when people ask me, one of my mates just laughs and goes "errr yeh". For a start its not as easy as everyone says, these people who say its easy generally havnt done psychology and just assume it.
Reply 62
it is a worthless degree
Reply 63
indian
it is a worthless degree

Ans what is your amazing thoughts to help us agree to your point of view?
Reply 64
indian
it is a worthless degree

Errr I think you'll find it's most definately not, I'd like to see you do well in it but then again you're you
Reply 65
* gemchicken
Errr I think you'll find it's most definately not, I'd like to see you do well in it but then again you're you

then again, your biased cause your doing it, im also doing psy and know that in many cases its worthless but i just enjoy it
Reply 66
horrorboy
then again, your biased cause your doing it, im also doing psy and know that in many cases its worthless but i just enjoy it

Fairplay hunny you for studying it and I respect your opinion, I mean you're studying for a BA in Psychology (or BSc?) but what I mean is the people who have NO EXPERIENCE in the subject at all! Then what right do they have to comment on how easy it is?!
Reply 67
* gemchicken
Fairplay hunny you for studying it and I respect your opinion, I mean you're studying for a BA in Psychology (or BSc?) but what I mean is the people who have NO EXPERIENCE in the subject at all! Then what right do they have to comment on how easy it is?!

they shouldn't comment they are just trying to degrade the subject to make their choice look superior. Im doing BSc and i'l admit i find it fairly easy but also it gives you some really useful skills when you leave but unless your planning on doing councelling/ social work id say its worthless in the eyes of general employers
Reply 68
horrorboy
they shouldn't comment they are just trying to degrade the subject to make their choice look superior. Im doing BSc and i'l admit i find it fairly easy but also it gives you some really useful skills when you leave but unless your planning on doing councelling/ social work id say its worthless in the eyes of general employers

Yep sweets I see what you're saying (are you in year 1/2/3?) I can *see* your point of it being worthless if you're planning on doing something totally non-psychology as a career but if you are, what made you choose to dedicate 3 yrs of your life to Psychology if you're planning on a different career route?!? Also, as with most degrees as you progress through the years, it will get harder! :smile: But I totally agree with you that some people find it necessary to degrade Psychology in order to feel better about themselves (insecure you and I wonder?!) and also I can agree with you stating that it gives you useful skills for when you graduate! :biggrin:
Reply 69
I haven't read the whole thread yet but just thought I would chip in this bit of anecdotal evidence.

My friend's Dad took Psychology at Oxford and came out with a first, but amazingly couldn't find a job and had to take a second degree in management (or something like that) before he could find employment. Obviously that was some years ago. But things could still be like that today
Reply 70
Alewhey
I haven't read the whole thread yet but just thought I would chip in this bit of anecdotal evidence.

My friend's Dad took Psychology at Oxford and came out with a first, but amazingly couldn't find a job and had to take a second degree in management (or something like that) before he could find employment. Obviously that was some years ago. But things could still be like that today

Yep you're right it is a very competitive field to get into!
First of all, go for it! If you want to do it, do it, don't just do what everyone else says! AS psychology is very easy admitidly...however, i'm doing A2 now and even though i love it, its tough and demanding. I would definately say that psychology is popular now, but i wouldn't say it was because it was easy! I know people with 3 or 4 A's who haven't got into uni to do psychology, and i myself have been rejected from 3 uni's (york, nottingham, edinburgh). Psychology isn't a worthless degree AT ALL. I myself want to be either a clinical or forensic psychologist in the end, but there are so many other paths you can go down, such as business management, teaching and a variety of other things. Many employers see psychology as a good degree to have as you have both good numerical and litery skills.
Hope this helps. xxx.
horrorboy
i'l admit i don't think im intelligent enough to study maths, physics type subjects but that doesn't mean that other psychology folk arn't.

now you're being ridiculous. Anyone can study those subjects if you put the time and the effort in. Some people are naturally 'gifted' but that's only a small percentage, we still have to work hard to achieve good grades. It doesn't come easy.
Reply 73
Being able to study maths isn't a maesure of intelligence - i find maths really difficult but am much better at English, history etc - it's just the kind of subjects you get on with most - my mind isn't very sciencey :tongue: I did do psych AS and found it really interesting - i carried on doing four A levels for a while but dropped psych as i found it the hardest and i didn't want it affecting how well i did in my other subjects. My friend is going to do a doctorate in psych and become a clinical psychologist - how people can say a subject you can become a doctor in is worthless i don't know.

Saying that - there is a scary number of taxi drivers in my area with psych degrees. xx
Jesus09
Without a doubt, and everyone knows that Psychology is totally useless. Everyone doing psychology does it because they are not intellectual enough to study more important subjects.
All the psychologists on this site are not capable of doing more demanding subjects but i dont blame them for their genetic makeup.
I'm sure they could've done a higher degree if they wanted.
Reply 75
derecho
I am thinking of studying psychology but am getting reluctant as i am starting to think that is a common sense subject that has no answers and little scientific basis. many psychology students seem to have no career direction and are doing it because it is easy and popular, what do you all think?

Woah....
I know someone doing a degree in psychology and nooooo way is it easy. She's like fully smart and works at it 24/7 and she struggles, yes it's popular so therefore maybe it IS worthless in the end...? :confused:
Reply 76
Depends on what u want to do

psychologist/counsellor then its vital

otherwise its not vital

And about the workload---the workload is kinda lacking, but then again you do not memorize stuff like in criminal law. In law you must memorize till you blue in the face then memorize more--psych u got to figure stuff out

Psychologist like to distinguish non cognitive v cognitive tasks...ie finding out if you have elaborated on the stuff your learning(connecting it with reall life stuff and applying it)

I personally find it harder to connect psych stuff to real life sits rather than law due to the terminology---ie. congitive dissonance==spacing out, mental lexicon==?, or expirements that involve symbolic cues--

----------------------------------------------------------------------

and about working hard or being smart

you dont have to be smart

im not smart--i had grade 9 maths and sciences and applied as mature student-- i played video games probably 5 hours a day more than i studied(back then i was harshly into quake 2 and couldnt put it down)

But then again, my friend got A's and B's in criminology and got c's and f's at psych

haha--i have only been in one psych class where a person has got an F

From what i saw the computer science guys studied alot harder than the psych people. I use to study in comp s. area and they didnt even move for 8 hours. And the louge area was full of guys sleeping

For easy marks take education---those A+ marks will really help your gaming

Latest

Trending

Trending