The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doojam
Just an interesting fact: a few years ago a girl from my school applied to Oxbridge (I'm not sure which of the unis), she was shortlisted for interview and after the interview they liked her so much that she was given a conditional offer of EEE. Crazy.

unconditional* I think you mean :P

It's not that crazy. Quite common really, there are plenty of those stories every year/course/college

and even to international students too! (that includes EU btw, EU students are only counted as EU for fee purposes)
Original post by 4 I Murder Carrots Fun
Or the place...?

TSR is a hotbed of debate. Sometimes about random things like "who should leave x factor this week" so YES it is indeed the place.

After all, history has shown students sure like leading revolutions.
Reply 8562
Original post by Doojam
Just an interesting fact: a few years ago a girl from my school applied to Oxbridge (I'm not sure which of the unis), she was shortlisted for interview and after the interview they liked her so much that she was given a conditional offer of EEE. Crazy.

Very interesting. Were there any learning disabilities, or other mitigating issues that would have disabled her from getting the standard offer?
Original post by Doojam

Apart from, she wasn't though, was she?
Wasn't expecting people to agree with me :lol:

Original post by medbh4805
This

though I would like to see what would happen if the UK did leave the EU :beard:

and if they did I would just travel on my Irish passport so....:colonhash:

Original post by Doojam
This. Now is not a good time to carry out a referendum because we hear about the Eurozone crisis on a daily basis. The finacial trouble highlights all the negatives of the EU and makes people forget the economic benefits it brings us. Some people say that if we were to leave the EU, it would collapse, which would bring the WORLD economy into recession. Leaving does not make sense, especially at such a fragile time as this. I don't support using the Euro as our currency, and I acknowledge that European powers can be too much, but it's in our best interest stay.
Reply 8565
Original post by Brand New Eyes
TSR is a hotbed of debate. Sometimes about random things like "who should leave x factor this week" so YES it is indeed the place.

After all, history has shown students sure like leading revolutions.

That made me feel special inside. :cool:
Original post by Doojam

Apparently Cambridge do it relatively regularly, by regularly I mean 1%, but even so.
Reply 8567
unconditional* I think you mean :P

It's not that crazy. Quite common really, there are plenty of those stories every year/course/college

and even to international students too! (that includes EU btw, EU students are only counted as EU for fee purposes)

I can only say what school told me, and they definitely said it was conditional.
Reply 8568
Original post by mr.november
Apparently Cambridge do it relatively regularly, by regularly I mean 1%, but even so.

I'll assume it was Cambridge then. It seems a strange practice.
Original post by Doojam

Whomever negged you needs to accept that some dons just fall in love and give out those offers! Also, some of the time it's actually EE (2 not 3) just for all us hopefuls :smile: and it's not just Cambridge, this happens at Oxford. But I've personally only known it to happen for languages, but other courses probably do aswell.
Original post by narusku
Very interesting. Were there any learning disabilities, or other mitigating issues that would have disabled her from getting the standard offer?

Original post by KingMessi
Apart from, she wasn't though, was she?

People, just believe in it! It happens every year to candidates they really LOVE, ofcourse most of them actually end up getting three A*s in the end anyway so its all abit pointless. But yknow, thought that counts and all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Doojam
I can only say what school told me, and they definitely said it was conditional.

Well i presume it's conditional to stop you walking out of school the day after...
Original post by Doojam

Oh I see! conditional but in reality unconditional if said person got As in three of their ASs which is equivalent to an E at A2?
Whomever negged you needs to accept that some dons just fall in love and give out those offers! Also, some of the time it's actually EE (2 not 3) just for all us hopefuls :smile: and it's not just Cambridge, this happens at Oxford. But I've personally only known it to happen for languages, but other courses probably do aswell.

People, just believe in it! It happens every year to candidates they really LOVE, ofcourse most of them actually end up getting three A*s in the end anyway so its all abit pointless. But yknow, thought that counts and all.

Hmmm. I will remain skeptical, to be honest, especially given that the Oxford admissions statistics state that less than 0.5% of offers are less than AAA and those are AAB or, in very rare cases, ABB....
Reply 8573
Oh I see! conditional but in reality unconditional if said person got As in three of their ASs which is equivalent to an E at A2?

Yeah, it is essentially unconditional. At the end of the day, if you're in the position to apply to Oxbridge, even if you mess up beyond belief, you should still get above EEE.
Original post by such_a_lady
Wasn't expecting people to agree with me :lol:

:yeah:
Yep, it is true - one girl from my school got an EE offer for Economics at Cambridge about 4/5 years ago :smile:
Original post by Groat
Why not use your half term to ace the revision for your aptitude tests? :colone:

As I've bemoaned, I do not have half term. This is because I am Canadian. *points to distinctive Canadian flag on top of post*
Original post by thethinker
1)The Remains of the Day
2) Lolita
3) Moby Dick
4) Catch-22
5)The Stranger

As you can see I like 20th century stuff more than other periods :smile:

Lolita is one of my favourite books! :smile: I also really enjoyed Catch-22 and The Stranger.
For the benefit of any German speakers/learners here, and also for Jenny because she likes cute foreign guys (and this beaut actually closely resembles my former French beau :love:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDfGGz_qsIs

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrhfTIfwBeU&feature=related

I might have to time my trips to Germany to coincide with seeing him :heart: AND HE'S FROM STUTTGART SDFOJSEFNSFAEO
Reply 8579
Original post by punctuation
Lolita is one of my favourite books! :smile: I also really enjoyed Catch-22 and The Stranger.

I love Milo, especially when the Germans lease out the role of air-raiding to him, and he bombs his own camp to smithereens! :L

Stranger is good too, first book I ever read in French..

Latest

Trending

Trending