The Student Room Group

Did you visit a Uni and KNOW immediately it was the place for you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I visited Cardiff first, and absolutely loved it. Visited Sheffield a little while later, and felt pretty much the same.

Couldn't stand Kent when I visited it however.
Reply 101
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I completely agree on the Edinburgh Glasgow thing! I saw them in 2 days (their open days happened to be next to each other) and while Glasgow was wet and windy, it suited me, whereas when I went to Edinburgh it just felt all wrong!

I can't judge on Cambridge, as my home town I wanted to get away from it!

Well, Cambridge is a gorgeous place but I know what you mean, it's nice to get away from home for university. When I went to the open days they were right next to each other as well, and the lecturers at Glasgow were friendly, welcoming and enthusiastic about their subjects, whereas the next day at Edinburgh they were just . . . meh. I understand that Edinburgh is hugely popular and oversubscribed and thus doesn't need to attract more students, but their open day did seem designed at putting people off (or, at least, emphasising how difficult it is to get in). It's a shame because I was besotted with them before - didn't think I could apply to Cambridge at that time.

We were lucky and had sunshine for both days though :smile: Got sunburnt actually.

Also, Glasgow have an applicants day in March, and St Andrews have something similar - wish Edinburgh did as well, as if they did accept me (admittedly very unlikely) it would be good to visit again before making a decision.
Reply 102
I would say yes, apart from the fact that I got the feeling at all four of the universities that I visited that I'd be happy there, and could really see myself living there.
Reply 103
Not IMMEDIATELY but during my first visit to Birmingham University I knew I wanted to go there, it felt comfortable and the people seemed really genuine
Reply 104
I knew the only place I loved was Birmingham.

I'm going to Bristol.
Original post by kbountra
Have you been to the Kingston Oceana? I've heard it's a pretty epic night out so maybe it could relieve some of the stress :smile:

Yeah I have, the cheese room is good :biggrin: It's all about Bacchus' 50s nights though! But yeah, I think my tutors have just made me hate the subject (Interior Design). There's just too much technical drawing which is never good enough for our tutors, even other departments call them Nazis!
I looooooooooooooooooooved southampton huge amounts but will end up firming UCL just because I'd be a **** not to.
Original post by laut_biru
I visited Cardiff first, and absolutely loved it. Visited Sheffield a little while later, and felt pretty much the same.

Couldn't stand Kent when I visited it however.

Why couldn't you stand Kent? :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by diamonddust
Why couldn't you stand Kent? :smile:

Firstly, I'd prefer to be at a city university, so that was a problem. I wasn't really keen on all the concrete either, especially when it seemed to me to also lack an atmosphere. I've also visited UEA, though not for myself, and despite that being very similar to Kent, I preferred UEA because it seemed to have more of a spirit.

Don't read too much into my not liking it, I am only one person, and it's not like I've ever actually studied there.
Reply 109
Birmingham was and is my only true love.
warwick <333333333
Original post by Huskaris
Happened with York, then I realised I'd rather do a slightly better degree somewhere else. So I traded a university which seemed to be teeming with unbelievably hot girls, to a university which is filled 3/4 with people who don't close their mouths and dribble, and 1/4 people who are insanely intelligent and stuck up, and generally exceptionally boring.

I'm probably the worst parts of both categories:frown:

Can I ask where you go now? Cos I loved York when I went on the open day, but I'm still deciding which to firm. I'm off to York again for a visit day next week.
Reply 112
Yes <3
Reply 113
I feel in love with Manchester, thought yes, this is exactly where i want to be for the next 3/4 yrs of my life
Reply 114
No, it's only made me more sceptical about them, somewhat. Very hard, nerve-wrecking choice.
Original post by Eccle1993
Well, Cambridge is a gorgeous place but I know what you mean, it's nice to get away from home for university. When I went to the open days they were right next to each other as well, and the lecturers at Glasgow were friendly, welcoming and enthusiastic about their subjects, whereas the next day at Edinburgh they were just . . . meh. I understand that Edinburgh is hugely popular and oversubscribed and thus doesn't need to attract more students, but their open day did seem designed at putting people off (or, at least, emphasising how difficult it is to get in). It's a shame because I was besotted with them before - didn't think I could apply to Cambridge at that time.

We were lucky and had sunshine for both days though :smile: Got sunburnt actually.

Also, Glasgow have an applicants day in March, and St Andrews have something similar - wish Edinburgh did as well, as if they did accept me (admittedly very unlikely) it would be good to visit again before making a decision.

Yes... I got a long talk from one guy at Edinburgh about how I should reconsider applying because it's 30-1 for my course, and I'm English from a private school...
I didn't know what to say!!

Glasgow is hugely friendly, if you end up here you'll love it :smile: feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it etc!
Yeah :biggrin:

It was a stupidly sunny day and there were rabbit and squirrels eveywhere and then I went to a course meeting and I was like WANT. Still love it now :smile:
i had a gut feeling before i even went to an open day that warwick was the place for me.. visited it and thought "yes, i can feel at home here" and i love it so much!
Yes, at the time. Then I was rejected, and didn't care anymore. :h:
Original post by hareandhound
I didn't visit any universities, even the ones I applied to.

same, people think i am mad:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending