The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is UOM really that bad?

I’ve been recently considering the University of Manchester and when I visited i loved the campus and my course (biochem) but I’ve seen a lot of negative things on social media, especially regarding the accommodation and the way the university treats its students. Is this an over exaggeration because it’s making me doubt accepting my offer. Thx!
Original post by Simsemil.15
I’ve been recently considering the University of Manchester and when I visited i loved the campus and my course (biochem) but I’ve seen a lot of negative things on social media, especially regarding the accommodation and the way the university treats its students. Is this an over exaggeration because it’s making me doubt accepting my offer. Thx!

Well what I CAN tell you is that my brother LOVES it
It's quite stressful ( Econ major)
but I hope this helps cuz Idk how ELSE to help lol
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
i think it depends alot on your needs as a student. For me, I've never needed to access counselling/support from the university, so its not been an issue. The university itself treats students the same as any other Russell group. The main issue really is the accommodation. Most of them are really substandard compared to other universities, but they are also a lot cheaper than other Russell groups. I think as long as you avoid accommodations like oak house and Whitworth (unless you like living in filth) you should be ok
Reply 3
I live in ‘the worst’ accommodation (Oak house) and i was fine. I let all my closest friends through living there and genuinely it made my uni experience amazing. We had a cleaner twice a week that cleaned communal areas and although we did have mice at one point it was our own fault for not cleaning up food etc dropped on the floor. (And you can report pests to maintenance who will put traps out etc).

I’ve just finished my first year and I love it. The city is great and imo the perfect size. Big enough you’re not bored but I still feel like it’s small enough I know my way around and don’t feel lost. In terms of pastoral care there isn’t a lot of one-on-one support unless you go out and seek it. You’re given an academic advisor who you can go to with any questions anytime and I have a couple friends who went through the uni for mental health services, both of them saw someone in person within 2 weeks.

It is a big uni and it can feel easy to be forgotten about but I think that’s just the territory with Russel group unis. You have to manage your own workload, you have to ask for help if you need it (all my lecturers and tutorial leaders have weekly times you can come and talk to them for help).

I’m friends with some rent strikers and they may be striking but they still love it at the uni and wouldn’t go anywhere else.
Reply 4
Original post by Simsemil.15

UoM has a massive Student Union presence so anything that is a slight hit to student satisfaction will be blown to a greater proportion, so whatever problem you see on social media does exist, just probably exaggerated. A lot of the problems that goes on in UoM goes on everywhere in the UK, especially in the bigger and academically rigorous institutions.

Although I do have to say UoM accom ain't that great, but tolerable
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
A lot of this is a hangover from how they treated students during the lockdowns and how little they did in terms of MH support and counselling both during the pandemic and in the immediate years after. It is getting better, slowly, like any of this huge monolithic places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending