The Student Room Group

if i didnt like a uni from the open day should i apply

i went to bath and i know i should apply because its good for archi i just didn't really like the feel of the place but i feel like im being too fussy. i thought most of the buildings were kinda ugly and didnt like the layout of the place but i might end up thinking this about lots of the places i visit.
to people in uni- when you visited the open days did you actually think "this could be the place for me" or did you just think "i could be ok going here"
(edited 10 months ago)
If you dont feel happy somewhere dont go there. You are going to have to live there for 3 years or more. Go elsewhere.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
If you dont feel happy somewhere dont go there. You are going to have to live there for 3 years or more. Go elsewhere.

do you think saying i dont like how it looks is too fussy though?
Original post by mymelo
do you think saying i dont like how it looks is too fussy though?

Not really you either like it or you dont. If you dont like it go elsewhere. Each uni has different effects on people.
Original post by mymelo
i went to bath and i know i should apply because its good for archi i just didn't really like the feel of the place but i feel like im being too fussy. i thought most of the buildings were kinda ugly and didnt like the layout of the place but i might end up thinking this about lots of the places i visit.
to people in uni- when you visited the open days did you actually think "this could be the place for me" or did you just think "i could be ok going here"

Hey @mymelo, I'd agree with the above - if you felt like it wasn't the right fit then that's ok. What makes one uni perfect for one person might be another person's worst nightmare - your decision is unique to you :redface: Lots of things work together to find the right fit when it comes to student life. Make a list of what you're looking for in a university and then look to see how they fit in with your priorities.

You have 5 choices when you're applying so if you're not 100% sure whether you want to rule them out at the point when you apply then you can still pick them as one of your choices. Try to visit other campuses and see if you get a better 'feeling' though :smile: Personally I visited two open days and once I had compared them I knew which one was my favourite.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Hello, everyone has a different experience from what they want from a university. If that one didn't feel right for you go to other open days at other universities and see what feels right for you. I visited a few different universities and found I knew when I had the right place for me. You have to look not only at the course but what the campus and surrounding area has to offer. I am at a modern new high-tech university which I found was the right campus for me. You will be at university for three years so it is important you are somewhere that you feel comfortable. I hope this helps. Good luck

ARU Dee
Student Digital Ambassador.
Original post by mymelo

Hey @mymelo, how are you? :smile:

Everyone experiences open days differently, and has different reactions and feelings.

Some people may instantly feel a connection with the campus, the people, and the overall atmosphere. And get that 'this could be the place for me' feeling. Other people will consider factors such as academic reputation, course content, and career prospects, rather than relying solely on their emotional response to the campus.

It's normal to have dislikes about things like the physical appearance of the uni, but I think it's important to also still consider all the other factors such as academic excellence, support services, and opportunities for growth within your chosen field of study.

Choosing the right uni is ultimately a personal decision and involves weighing various factors. It's worth considering factors beyond the initial impression during an open day, just reflect on what's most important to you in a uni experience, and gather as much info as possible through other channels such as online research, speaking with current students, etc.

Just trust your instincts and make a decision that feels right for you. Good luck :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending