The Student Room Group

Ever had to call 999?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student

And I've had someone call the police on me.

Can I ask why?

Original post by Trent23
It was 3 years ago, looking back I now realise what a stupid thing it was to do. But at the time I was only 20, we all do stupid things when we are young. But we learn from our mistakes in life, its part of growing up.

I was going to ask how old you were and if you were 10. At 20, you have absolutely NO excuse. Admittedly, I have prank called the emergency services before, but I was more like the age of 8 or 9 (I also prank called 911 about 12 years ago(?) ) But I was around 8 or 9 years old at the time
Reply 101
Original post by de_monies
Can I ask why?

I was going to ask how old you were and if you were 10. At 20, you have absolutely NO excuse. Admittedly, I have prank called the emergency services before, but I was more like the age of 8 or 9 (I also prank called 911 about 12 years ago(?) ) But I was around 8 or 9 years old at the time

But when a mates dares you to do something you don't back down.
Can I ask why?

Because I had really bad depression and had threatened to hurt myself. Although, in one way, I'm surprised an ambulance wasn't called. But I think I was told that the police where there because where I said I was going to hurt myself, they have to make sure it's safe or something.

Agreed. It's unfair on people who actually are having an emergency and need help.
Reply 103
Many of times, I work in mental health supported accommodation so it can happen quite a lot. I've also had to phone an ambulance for my Mum twice, she's diabetic and her blood sugar dropped to the point where she was in and out of consciousness.
Original post by Trent23
But when a mates dares you to do something you don't back down.

When it's to prank the emergency services, yes you can. It's one thing to say "Prank this person or that person" No one's life is going to be endangered by pranking a friend of a friend for instance, but if you prank the ambulance service, it'd cost them say around 5 minutes on the phone, and then a further half an hour sending an ambulance, which could have saved many people's lives. And that's before even considering the costs of the whole thing...

Because I had really bad depression and had threatened to hurt myself. Although, in one way, I'm surprised an ambulance wasn't called. But I think I was told that the police where there because where I said I was going to hurt myself, they have to make sure it's safe or something.

Agreed. It's unfair on people who actually are having an emergency and need help.

Ah fair enoughs. Sorry to hear that, but thankfully you're not in that state any more!
Reply 105
When it's to prank the emergency services, yes you can. It's one thing to say "Prank this person or that person" No one's life is going to be endangered by pranking a friend of a friend for instance, but if you prank the ambulance service, it'd cost them say around 5 minutes on the phone, and then a further half an hour sending an ambulance, which could have saved many people's lives. And that's before even considering the costs of the whole thing...

Ah fair enoughs. Sorry to hear that, but thankfully you're not in that state any more!

Yeah but if I didn't do the dare my mates would start calling gay and other names. Also some ambulance paramedics have a sense of humor and see the funny side, they have a high pressure job so I think its good they get to have a bit of a laugh now and again.
Original post by Trent23
Yeah but if I didn't do the dare my mates would start calling gay and other names. Also some ambulance paramedics have a sense of humor and see the funny side, they have a high pressure job so I think its good they get to have a bit of a laugh now and again.

Oh boo hoo. I'd rather be called gay. OMG, they want to call you.... names! I would certainly not be impressed at all.
Original post by Trent23

How is it funny? Pranking your friend is funny; but pranking a public service isn't. Especially when it's an emergency service.
Reply 108
How is it funny? Pranking your friend is funny; but pranking a public service isn't. Especially when it's an emergency service.

Yeah but some of the paramedics like the banter and if you want your mates to think you're cool you have to go long with things like pranks, doing drugs and other stuff like that, its peer pressure.

Would rep you but Im all out. Ooh and thanks for the rep :tongue:

Original post by Trent23
Yeah but some of the paramedics like the banter and if you want your mates to think you're cool you have to go long with things like pranks, doing drugs and other stuff like that, its peer pressure.

I can't imagine any paramedic who'd like to be called out, take about half an hour to get there, to find that there's absolutely nothing. That would annoy the hell out of me

ie: take my role. If I get a placement, I might be required to drive from site to site. If for instance I have to drive to another site, and no one is there, I'd be pretty damn annoyed. They're paying me, but if there's no one there, you'd be pretty pissed off

Wow that you think that to remain cool, you need to go along with doing drugs. Either that or your friends aren't really your friends. Let's say that as a Muslim, I'll never drink alcohol intentionally. Absolutely no one has tried to get me to drink.

If any thing, people respect me for doing so.
Reply 110
Would rep you but Im all out. Ooh and thanks for the rep :tongue:

I can't imagine any paramedic who'd like to be called out, take about half an hour to get there, to find that there's absolutely nothing. That would annoy the hell out of me

ie: take my role. If I get a placement, I might be required to drive from site to site. If for instance I have to drive to another site, and no one is there, I'd be pretty damn annoyed. They're paying me, but if there's no one there, you'd be pretty pissed off

Wow that you think that to remain cool, you need to go along with doing drugs. Either that or your friends aren't really your friends. Let's say that as a Muslim, I'll never drink alcohol intentionally. Absolutely no one has tried to get me to drink.

If any thing, people respect me for doing so.

So you're telling me a paramedic would much rather turn up at a seen to find a bunch of school school children who have been seriously injured in a car crash. Than turn up at false call because a few lads were just having a bit of a laugh. I don't believe any paramedic would get disappoint if no one had been injured on a call.
Yep. The most reason being tonsillitis. Sound's minor, I know. But I was 14 and the time and was vomiting loads of blood.
Reply 112
Original post by Trent23
So you're telling me a paramedic would much rather turn up at a seen to find a bunch of school school children who have been seriously injured in a car crash. Than turn up at false call because a few lads were just having a bit of a laugh. I don't believe any paramedic would get disappoint if no one had been injured on a call.

I think they'd rather turn up and save the school children than find out later that they died because they'd been called out by some lads taking the piss.
Reply 113
You guys are just taking things to seriously, look it was 3 years ago we were round at my mate Lukes house watching a united game with a few beers and a gram of charlie and we decided it would be a laugh to prank 999 and it was funny at the time, maybe you had to be there.
Original post by Trent23

Because I cba commenting, I'm quoting Harley below, who has the exact same views as me

Original post by Harley
I think they'd rather turn up and save the school children than find out later that they died because they'd been called out by some lads taking the piss.
Reply 115
Original post by Harley

Agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trent23
You guys are just taking things to seriously, look it was 3 years ago we were round at my mate Lukes house watching a united game with a few beers and a gram of charlie and we decided it would be a laugh to prank 999 and it was funny at the time, maybe you had to be there.

Sorry for caring for the lives of others. Sorry for not finding that funny. BTW, thanks for the rep. Shame that yours is worth 0 and mine is worth -7 :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Entrepreneur123
Or 911 etc whatever applies to you

I was in the shower earlier having a think about life as you do, and it dawned on me that I've never had to call 999. I was just wondering if anyone else had to, and of so what for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah , I was shaking as I did it.
It's not a nice feeling.
Reply 118
Sorry for caring for the lives of others. Sorry for not finding that funny. BTW, thanks for the rep. Shame that yours is worth 0 and mine is worth -7 :biggrin:

6500K posts shame you don't have a life.
Original post by Trent23
6500K posts shame you don't have a life.

Lool this is what it comes down to does it? Well, erm I attend the gym every single day (minus exam periods) and I talk to literally every one, whereas you seem to bow down to peer pressure with your "friends" and go and get drugged up, whilst endangering other people's lives for a joke

I'd rather a life where I don't bow down to pressure, I don't need to follow the group, I do what I want and what I think is right, instead of doing things because to do otherwise would be to get called gay and other names by my so called "friends"

Again, sorry if I care about other people's lives. You obviously only care about your own

BTW, I joined in 2010, so 6.5K over 3 years isn't that bad...

Quick Reply

Latest