The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone, i want to apply for economics bsc preferably in Lancaster. I received 4 A's at As ( although not particularly high in UMS ) in maths, physics, chemistry and economics. Which subject should i drop, i found physics the most difficult btw? Also what percentage of the questions are essays rather than maths in economics bsc? I don't feel that confident in my essays, is that a major concern? thanks
Original post by Room4student
Hello everyone, i want to apply for economics bsc preferably in Lancaster. I received 4 A's at As ( although not particularly high in UMS ) in maths, physics, chemistry and economics. Which subject should i drop, i found physics the most difficult btw? Also what percentage of the questions are essays rather than maths in economics bsc? I don't feel that confident in my essays, is that a major concern? thanks

Congrats on your grades :smile:, I think essentially it's between chem/physics,and I would drop the one you enjoy the least, as generally speaking, if you enjoy a subject and are mote motivated to revise, you'll do better :biggrin:
Original post by Deziah
I want to do biology because I've really enjoyed it this year and would love it study it at a higher level, but at the same time I can't bring myself to stop learning French and would love to live abroad for a year which you can do with a French degree. I could obviously combine them but I'm not sure what career prospects that would give me. :ashamed2:

How about you?

I just saw your post and I was wondering whether you had thought about the Erasmus scheme. Basically pretty much all unis offer it and it means that regardless of your degree, you can spend a year abroad studying your subject in Europe (including France), added to this, the EU give you a subsidy for accommodation etc. of 3000 euros per month :biggrin:
This way, you get the Biology degree, but will improve your French skills, most unis will have a section about it on their website :h:
Original post by CJG21
Yes, it is worth it, but re-sit at least one chem module, and make sure your predicted grade in it is good.

Where were you looking at applying?

resitting both chem modules probably, and going to resit my stats (maths module-it was a C, the other 2 modules were As) and im not sure yet, didnt anticipate the C in chemistry so i dont know where i could apply:/
Original post by Soontobesuper

I think so. Though I may depend on where you were hoping to do. Especially as most Unis don't count Genral studies. So you'd have AABC. Could you drop Chem and retake a module of Maths to boost the grade?

I dont know where to apply to that would actually accept me to do natural sciences with a C in chemistry, would doing a biology degree be better?
Well done Fish! :biggrin:

Jesus, he has done so many GCSEs and A levels already!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fizzypoppop
resitting both chem modules probably, and going to resit my stats (maths module-it was a C, the other 2 modules were As) and im not sure yet, didnt anticipate the C in chemistry so i dont know where i could apply:/

Well if you get predicted an A in chemistry I wouldn't see why you couldn't apply for some AAB or AAA places.
Original post by leafy9
If you don't mind sharing, what subjects did you take? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

biology,chemistry,maths and business but i'm dropping business :smile:
Original post by usycool1
University choices! :afraid:

If you're thinking about applying to university and want your choices in the list below, quote this post and I'll add them in for you! :biggrin:

Information you may wish to add:

What course you're going to apply for.

Your AS subjects (and grades if you like).

Your A2 subjects (and predicted/actual grades if you want to).

What universities you're thinking of applying to and their decisions (when it comes to that).

University courses

If you'd like to make any changes, just quote me. :h:

Pharmacy
AS Subjects : Biology,Chemistry,Mathematics and Business Studies
A2 Subjects : Biology,Chemistry and Maths
University choices : Reading university,Bradford university,UEA,LJMU and Aston university/Medway school of Pharmacy
Hit me up if you're thinking of doing Pharmacy :smile: Also what do you think are better predicted grades at AS - ABC or BBB if i wanted to go to an ABB university ? :smile:
Original post by krishkmistry
Hit me up if you're thinking of doing Pharmacy :smile: Also what do you think are better predicted grades at AS - ABC or BBB if i wanted to go to an ABB university ? :smile:

Tough question

I would say ABC purely because of the A, a C can easily change into a B, a B into an A? Not as easy
Original post by Robbie242
Tough question

I would say ABC purely because of the A, a C can easily change into a B, a B into an A? Not as easy

Agree with this.

Have you found out any more about those GCSE reqs?
Original post by Endless Blue
Agree with this.

Have you found out any more about those GCSE reqs?

Not at the moment - I got dragged from helping my Sixth form enrolment to playing football to falling asleep xP.

Is there a place I can easily find them all or shall I go on each individual website ?
Original post by furryface12
Ahaa fair enough, what you're interested in is a good place to start!! Yeah we have about 80 in the year, and I guess about 20 or 30 will probably drop out... Both my parents do public healthy stuff, it sounds interesting and there's loads of different things you can do! What do you want to do at uni then?

Well, That's the problem, I was stuck for a while with what to take, but I've decided on Biomed
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Haha okay that's fair enough, although would you ever be that girl?

So he did great :biggrin: well done him!!

Haha, If I've had a stressful week then I'd come in the first thing I see. But I haven't been yet, no don't I'll lose the last bit of care I have during 13
Original post by leafy9
Hi everyone, I'm sort of new as I don't usually spend much attention to TSR. Though since exam period last summer, TSR seemed quite a helpful place, so I've decided to join in a bit and hope I won't be lost out of conversations too fast. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me I've been here for ~*almost* a year and the conversation is sooooo fast. Its impossible. But the TSR is just so useful!
Well, That's the problem, I was stuck for a while with what to take, but I've decided on Biomed

I thought about that for a while too but then dropped biology. Once you have a degree and start at a large organisation you can often move about a bit more anyway, so it doesn't matter what you do to a certain extent and you can do what you enjoy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, If I've had a stressful week then I'd come in the first thing I see. But I haven't been yet, no don't I'll lose the last bit of care I have during 13

Ah alright, I imagine that's pretty normal. Haha fair enough.
Noo l'evil was banned why? :s-smilie: Oh wait can't say, inbox me instead :biggrin:

Also what you all been up to?
I am considering a remark in my History Unit 1C exam as I thought it was quite easy, but only came out with a low C (61 UMS).

I achieved a C overall (66%) - which means that if I remarked the paper I would have to gain 8 UMS (69 UMS in 1C, which would be a high C) to go up to a B overall. Alternatively, to get my overall grade reduced to a D I can loose 12UMS (49 UMS in 1C, which would be a high E).

Do you think it is worth a remark? How likely am I to go up by 8 UMS, is that unlikely?
Reply 1358
Original post by Alex-Torres
I am considering a remark in my History Unit 1C exam as I thought it was quite easy, but only came out with a low C (61 UMS).

I achieved a C overall (66%) - which means that if I remarked the paper I would have to gain 8 UMS (69 UMS in 1C, which would be a high C) to go up to a B overall. Alternatively, to get my overall grade reduced to a D I can loose 12UMS (49 UMS in 1C, which would be a high E).

Do you think it is worth a remark? How likely am I to go up by 8 UMS, is that unlikely?

The only way you can get close to knowing is if you ask for a photocopy of the script and go over it with a teacher who'll tell you if they think it's worth more or less than what you got. If they think it's worth more then go for remark, if not then don't

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply 1359
Original post by Blueray2
Noo l'evil was banned why? :s-smilie: Oh wait can't say, inbox me instead :biggrin:

Also what you all been up to?

Fish has been banned again?! That's the second time in as many months :redface:
Do you reckon he's lurking even now?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Latest