The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology A - AS: June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Does Anyone know a good way to approach Stress Innoculation Therapy? The steps are just soooo long, I'm not motivated to learn an entire two pages on one thing :frown:
Reply 121
Original post by S4LM4N
Does Anyone know a good way to approach Stress Innoculation Therapy? The steps are just soooo long, I'm not motivated to learn an entire two pages on one thing :frown:

Stress Inoculation Training
Meichenbaum's method
Form of CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)

3 stages/phases:
1. Conceptualisation
Clients are encouraged to relive stressful situations and to analyse various features. (eg: What was stressful? How did you cope? Was it successful?)

2. Skills training and practice
One key element of a stressful situation
Client is taught relaxation techniques to help them cope

3. Real life application
Client goes into real world and puts training to test
Still maintain contact with therapist

And then you would need to evaluate it...
If it asks to 'Outline and evaluate psychological methods of stress management' you would also talk about Hardiness Training and evaluate that as well :smile:
Reply 122
Original post by benson13
Stress Inoculation Training
Meichenbaum's method
Form of CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)

3 stages/phases:
1. Conceptualisation
Clients are encouraged to relive stressful situations and to analyse various features. (eg: What was stressful? How did you cope? Was it successful?)

2. Skills training and practice
One key element of a stressful situation
Client is taught relaxation techniques to help them cope

3. Real life application
Client goes into real world and puts training to test
Still maintain contact with therapist

And then you would need to evaluate it...
If it asks to 'Outline and evaluate psychological methods of stress management' you would also talk about Hardiness Training and evaluate that as well :smile:

Thank you so so so much you saved my life :tongue: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Does anyone know how you would answer a question like this:

How have psychologists investigated the relationship between stress and the immune system?(4 marks)
I know I could use several studies such as Marucha et al and Keicolt-Glaser et al but I'm not so sure what the question is asking me to do here? Is it asking for the methodology of research (what the researcher actually did) or it's findings ? or both? confusedd :s-smilie:
Reply 124
Hey guys! Could anyone help me with antipsychotic drugs? I don't understand what dopamine does, nor what happens when it's action is prevented? Any ideas? thanks!!
Original post by Rudi123
Hey guys! Could anyone help me with antipsychotic drugs? I don't understand what dopamine does, nor what happens when it's action is prevented? Any ideas? thanks!!

Its argued that increase dopamine causes schizophrenia . Antisypchotics work by blocking the action of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the brain by binding to and not stimulating. Atypical antipsychotic drugs act by temporarily occupying dopamine receptors and then rapidly dissociating (disconnect seperate) which allows normal dopamine transmission.

Sounds kinda confusing but all ya got to know is too much dopamine can cause schizophrenia symptoms. so these drugs work by reducing the level of dopamine and as a result treats individuals suffering from such symptoms. Well thats my understanding, hope it made sense. :smile:
Reply 126
Original post by gloriousgloria
Does anyone know how you would answer a question like this:

How have psychologists investigated the relationship between stress and the immune system?(4 marks)
I know I could use several studies such as Marucha et al and Keicolt-Glaser et al but I'm not so sure what the question is asking me to do here? Is it asking for the methodology of research (what the researcher actually did) or it's findings ? or both? confusedd :s-smilie:

worlds in bold are important, the question asks how psychologists such as KielcoltGlaser et al carry out their research. What did they do to find the relationship between stress and the immune system?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 127
This was the may 2013 exam? wow, kinda jealous atleast 3 times easier than jan 2013.

I did that paper as a past paper and thought it was way easier! Just depends what you've revised I guess
Original post by nm786
worlds in bold are important, the question asks how psychologists such as KielcoltGlaser et al carry out their research. What did they do to find the relationship between stress and the immune system?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 129
Its argued that increase dopamine causes schizophrenia . Antisypchotics work by blocking the action of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the brain by binding to and not stimulating. Atypical antipsychotic drugs act by temporarily occupying dopamine receptors and then rapidly dissociating (disconnect seperate) which allows normal dopamine transmission.

Sounds kinda confusing but all ya got to know is too much dopamine can cause schizophrenia symptoms. so these drugs work by reducing the level of dopamine and as a result treats individuals suffering from such symptoms. Well thats my understanding, hope it made sense. :smile:

Thank you! Really helpful :biggrin:
Reply 130
Anyone know what came up in the jan paper this year?
Reply 131
Original post by S4LM4N
Anyone know what came up in the jan paper this year?

here's the paper: PSYA2 Jan 2013 Question Paper.pdf
mark scheme: PSYA2 Jan 2013 Mark Scheme.pdf
Reply 132

Thank you very much :biggrin:
Reply 133
Original post by S4LM4N
Thank you very much :biggrin:

no problem.
Reply 134
Any predicitions?
Reply 135
Does anyone know how to approach the 'outline' questions which aren't 12 markers?
Original post by S4LM4N
Does anyone know how to approach the 'outline' questions which aren't 12 markers?

This thread seems to be dying o.O, you can ask questions here and ims ure you'll get a few replies here :tongue:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2345231&page=40&p=42851991#post42851991

If I saw an outline question worth 8 marks , I would approch it in the same way as a 12 marker. For example outline research into conformity, we had this question in our mock and well all I did was talk bout Asch aim, procedure, findings and conclusion which got me 3 marks :/ my teacher told me if I went into variations and maybe a weakness I would of received full marks,.

If the question is worth 6 marks, then I wouldn't bother with any A02 points. For example outline the biological approach to psychopathology - Id go into, genes determining brain chemistry and neuroatonomy, viral infections and genetic inheritance but no weaknesses.
Reply 137
For unit 2 for defining abnormalities do we need to know all the criteria for failure to function adequately and ideal mental health and can we be asked a 12 mark question on one of them? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138
Original post by bell_wv
Hey there folks, just wondering if there are any fellow psych students out there sitting any proportion of the AQA Psychology A, at AS this June?

I am currently studying with a home learning course and can work at my own pace (no compulsory exam dates) but plan to do the full AS in June this year. Anybody else on my boat?

Hi, I'm trying to start with something like that and was looking at the AQA syllabus. Where are you getting your study material from, do you have a private tutor or something? Any advice about what to do would be helpful!
Original post by Swizzle13
For unit 2 for defining abnormalities do we need to know all the criteria for failure to function adequately and ideal mental health and can we be asked a 12 mark question on one of them? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't even know failure to function adequately had a criteria? Isn't the criteria the extent to which a person can cope with day to day living which could be pretty much anything (e.g. going to sleep)
I do know that you should learn the criteria for ideal mental health because there have been questions where they have asked you two identify one or two criteria from this definition of abnormality. I remember using SSIAAM -self-attitudes, self actualization, integration, autonomy, acurate perception of reality and mastery of environment:smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending