The Student Room Group

Manchester University A100 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Probably a silly question but I really don't want to mess this up - on the form they've emailed out it asks for the UCAS ID. Is this the same as the personal ID used to log in to Track? The things about "no spaces or hyphens" is throwing me because my personal ID already has no spaces or hyphens!
Original post by KaiKabz007
Right thanks. I've volunteered at a hospital for over a year so I'll put that. But I'm not too sure whether it would be suitable to put down my job as a healthcare assistant- it's long term, like a few months, but I start tomorrow (on a gap year).

Yeah definitely put your hospital one in! Hmm that's tricky maybe since you start it tomorrow if you could hand in the form later on in the month then that will give you a bit of time in your HCA job. I just checked and you can select a date to, so whenever you are stopping your job! I'd ring them and ask what they think you should do and see if they can give any information to help you out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dkfalling
Probably a silly question but I really don't want to mess this up - on the form they've emailed out it asks for the UCAS ID. Is this the same as the personal ID used to log in to Track? The things about "no spaces or hyphens" is throwing me because my personal ID already has no spaces or hyphens!

My login for track is the same as my personal ID. When I log into track I just type all the numbers in with no spaces/dashes however when UCAS email me they do send it me like 123-123-1234. Just use the same login as what you are doing for track and it should be right as track ask for your personal ID.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
Yeah definitely put your hospital one in! Hmm that's tricky maybe since you start it tomorrow if you could hand in the form later on in the month then that will give you a bit of time in your HCA job. I just checked and you can select a date to, so whenever you are stopping your job! I'd ring them and ask what they think you should do and see if they can give any information to help you out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, in the non-academic form it asks us to write about our volunteering positions, for that do we just do what we did on our PS and reflect? Also should I include volunteering for a charity shop which I have been doing for a year. Lastly I have only been volunteering since April for a care home is that a long enough period?
Does anyone know how much focus they put on this non-academic form?
Original post by medicapplicant
Hey, in the non-academic form it asks us to write about our volunteering positions, for that do we just do what we did on our PS and reflect? Also should I include volunteering for a charity shop which I have been doing for a year. Lastly I have only been volunteering since April for a care home is that a long enough period?

yep that's what I'm doing just writing about them and reflecting on it but don't copy and paste parts of your PS :smile: Yes since April is definitely long enough especially if you've been doing it weekly as well! It does say on the form that you can include charity work and you've been doing it for ages so I don't see why not! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much reflection are you including? As they don't specify that, rather just details of your care provision. For I seem to list it with some detail and I've nearly reached the word limit. You reckon they would expect us to reflect?
yep that's what I'm doing just writing about them and reflecting on it but don't copy and paste parts of your PS :smile: Yes since April is definitely long enough especially if you've been doing it weekly as well! It does say on the form that you can include charity work and you've been doing it for ages so I don't see why not! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KaiKabz007
How much reflection are you including? As they don't specify that, rather just details of your care provision. For I seem to list it with some detail and I've nearly reached the word limit. You reckon they would expect us to reflect?

I think in mine I am going to talk about what I've learnt from each experience after describing some of the things I've done! I haven't even started it yet so I have no idea what my word count will be 😂 yeah describing what you have done is definitely an important part though I just want a way of rounding things off since this is basically their version of the PS!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I'm a little confused on the non-academic form.
It says experience in a caring role but I don't really have any other than work experience eg 1 week at a care home - but, over summer I did volunteer at a charity shop. Still, this isn't caring? So I'm confused as to what to do as I don't really have anything (where I live it's difficult to obtain long-term voluntary work in caring settings) :-(
Don't want this to ruin my application!
Guys for the hobbies and interests sectio can you put things you did in the past like i did piano for 5 years?
Hi Chaps

Can I ask how many people did AS exams at the end of Year 12. Most people seem to have.

I started year 12 in Sept but the college does not intend to enter students for AS exams, except where the subjects are still modular. So that means I will be just offering 3 A2 levels next year.

Is anyone else in the same boat ??

Cheers
Original post by spock2000
Hi Chaps

Can I ask how many people did AS exams at the end of Year 12. Most people seem to have.

I started year 12 in Sept but the college does not intend to enter students for AS exams, except where the subjects are still modular. So that means I will be just offering 3 A2 levels next year.

Is anyone else in the same boat ??

Cheers

I did 4AS levels but my school and all the schools in my area and probably around the country have made changes so that new year 12 students like you can only take 3A2's so you're not the only one
hi guys, on the NAI form do we only reflect on the caring section or do we have to reflect on all the sections including Teamwork and Hobbies and Interest? thanks
Original post by Mr PB
hi guys, on the NAI form do we only reflect on the caring section or do we have to reflect on all the sections including Teamwork and Hobbies and Interest? thanks

I rang up about the caring section and they said to reflect and give as much detail as possible. I'm fairly certain that would apply to other sections too so ring up and double check

Posted from TSR Mobile
I rang up about the caring section and they said to reflect and give as much detail as possible. I'm fairly certain that would apply to other sections too so ring up and double check

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. I'm not doing well on this form but after talking to the admissions tutors he said they only eliminate 50-100 candidates from the form so it doesn't need to be as good as the PS
Am i allowed to say DofE rather than Duke of Edinburgh
Original post by Mr PB
Thanks. I'm not doing well on this form but after talking to the admissions tutors he said they only eliminate 50-100 candidates from the form so it doesn't need to be as good as the PS

I was also told the same, I'm trying to be hopeful based on that info lmao😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr PB
Am i allowed to say DofE rather than Duke of Edinburgh

Normally, at least on the PS, you would have to mention the word in full before abbreviating but if you're absolutely stuck for characters then I'm sure they know what DofE means

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smoggie98
Guys for the hobbies and interests sectio can you put things you did in the past like i did piano for 5 years?

I don't see why not as that is very long term and shows commitment! Also playing a musical instrument is not something everyone does, so be sure to include it :-)
Also guys, someone reminded me that I have been babysitting for almost a year and could include that for the caring section on the NAF.. would this be okay do you guys think as long as I reflected on it and applied why the skills would be useful for me as a doctor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending