The Student Room Group

Manchester University A100 (2017 entry)

Hi I know it's really early for this but anyone thinking of applying to Manchester?
what are your stats?
For me:
GCSE:5A*4A1B
UKCAT:740 AVG
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by medicapplicant
Hi I know it's really early for this but anyone thinking of applying to Manchester?
what are your stats?
For me:
5A*4A1B
4A predictions

It's likely that I'l have to take a gap year this year so I might apply for 2017 entry. My stats are:
GCSE-10 A* 3A
AS- 3A 2B 1C
Predicted A2-AAA

I hope to continue and extend my voluntary work and gain some GP work experience along with taking some evening classes in yoga. I also want to do a little travelling once I've earned some money. :biggrin:
Original post by Fannibal
It's likely that I'l have to take a gap year this year so I might apply for 2017 entry. My stats are:
GCSE-10 A* 3A
AS- 3A 2B 1C
Predicted A2-AAA

I hope to continue and extend my voluntary work and gain some GP work experience along with taking some evening classes in yoga. I also want to do a little travelling once I've earned some money. :biggrin:

why would you have to your stats are AMAZING!!
Reply 3
why would you have to your stats are AMAZING!!

Unfortunately I decided late in the day to go for medicine so I only had BMAT unis, I also messed up at interview so I'm on 2 reserve lists at the moment. Fingers crossed though. :h:
anyone else thinking of applying to manchester for 2017 entry?
Reply 5
anyone else thinking of applying to manchester for 2017 entry?

Yup
Original post by VARRRDAQ
Yup

Cool, what are your stats?
Reply 7
Manchester is my top choice but am applying for foundation year as don't have science a levels!
Reply 8
Cool, what are your stats?

I'm applying as a grad. you?
I'm applying as a grad. you?

under grad
Reply 10
So nice to see you guys so ready and enthusiastic. I got an offer from Manchester this year so if you have any questions just ask.

Manchester are quite UKCAT heavy. Each year they have a strict UKCAT cutoff. Which is around 665? Usually I think. But from what I've seen they seem to give interviews out according to UKCAT score. Not completely sure but it seems to be a trend. You also have to submit a non academic form as opposed to them reading your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
So nice to see you guys so ready and enthusiastic. I got an offer from Manchester this year so if you have any questions just ask.

Manchester are quite UKCAT heavy. Each year they have a strict UKCAT cutoff. Which is around 665? Usually I think. But from what I've seen they seem to give interviews out according to UKCAT score. Not completely sure but it seems to be a trend. You also have to submit a non academic form as opposed to them reading your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what they say on the website, they rank by UKCAT first and then by the form. So the UKCAT will only get you so far as the last stage of shortlisting is the nonacademic form
Reply 12
From what they say on the website, they rank by UKCAT first and then by the form. So the UKCAT will only get you so far as the last stage of shortlisting is the nonacademic form

There you go then. But the form is a lot more subjective. It was actually quite weird to fill out. It mainly asked about you as a person, work experience etc. It's like a personal statement split into sections with unnecessary stuff removed. They probably score the form and rank. And then collate the ranks after that. But each stage is important.
Overall a good UKCAT is needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by mliela
There you go then. But the form is a lot more subjective. It was actually quite weird to fill out. It mainly asked about you as a person, work experience etc. It's like a personal statement split into sections with unnecessary stuff removed. They probably score the form and rank. And then collate the ranks after that. But each stage is important.
Overall a good UKCAT is needed.
I'm just going by my own experiences and research. There might be slight differences this year, and not all information is available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
May sound like a stupid question but I've been puzzled by the A106 on the manchester website. Is there an A100 course for 2017 entry. I'm currently in year 12 going into year 13. Also how do manchester use the SJT as I only scored band 3 for this but got average of 693. Gcses 6 a*, 5 a and a b, predicted a levels of aaa.

Thanks
Reply 15
Original post by Dan Milik
May sound like a stupid question but I've been puzzled by the A106 on the manchester website. Is there an A100 course for 2017 entry. I'm currently in year 12 going into year 13. Also how do manchester use the SJT as I only scored band 3 for this but got average of 693. Gcses 6 a*, 5 a and a b, predicted a levels of aaa.

Thanks

There is no A100. The Manchester course code is A106. It's normal medicine just a slightly different name.
As far as I know they don't seem to use situational judgement. They just use your score. Your score is good and should probably be above the cutoff.
Your GCSEs are amazing and perfectly good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Thanks

There is no A100. The Manchester course code is A106. It's normal medicine just a slightly different name.
As far as I know they don't seem to use situational judgement. They just use your score. Your score is good and should probably be above the cutoff.
Your GCSEs are amazing and perfectly good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Thanks

A106 is just the code Manchester uses. It's the same as normal medicine just a slightly different name. So it's the same as A100.
Well done on a good average. As far as I know I don't think Manchester uses situational judgment but I'm not fully sure.
Your score should probably be above the cutoff. Candidates are ranked by UKCAT and then ranked by the form you have to fill out in place of the personal statement.
Your GCSEs are amazing so well done. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
A106 is just the code Manchester uses. It's the same as normal medicine just a slightly different name. So it's the same as A100.
Well done on a good average. As far as I know I don't think Manchester uses situational judgment but I'm not fully sure.
Your score should probably be above the cutoff. Candidates are ranked by UKCAT and then ranked by the form you have to fill out in place of the personal statement.
Your GCSEs are amazing so well done. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the help and information. I don't know why they make it so hard to find out all these details haha. They put vague entry requirements on which most students would meet anyway if they were applying but people just want to know the cut offs etc oh well thanks for your help
Reply 19
Thanks for the help and information. I don't know why they make it so hard to find out all these details haha. They put vague entry requirements on which most students would meet anyway if they were applying but people just want to know the cut offs etc oh well thanks for your help

A lot of medical schools tend not to fully detail their process. I guess they don't actually have to. Maybe this way gives them more applications to pick from? I'm not sure.
However if you spend time doing some digging on their website you will eventually find some more detailed documents.
The cutoffs won't be decided until after everyone has applied and UKCAT scores have been sent to the universities. They create a cutoff using the scores of their applicants. So you'd never be able to know the cutoff before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest