The Student Room Group

Official AQA GCSE Biology Unit 2 22nd Janurary NEW SPEC

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Ammy97
Okay, your question is:

What did Mendel mean by "hereditary unit"? (probs a 1 marker)

i dont know O_O
Reply 141
Original post by Ammy97
Okay, your question is:

What did Mendel mean by "hereditary unit"? (probs a 1 marker)

Alleles!
Original post by BI0
I think maybe a B, or a low A. You can retake it though (:

My biology ISA was bobbins I got 36 and a few people got 46. I congratulated them as that's like getting a exam 100 ums score. But I bogeled how they picked so many marks so if you any of you kind members give me a few tips to revise or prepare for an ISA as id like to get a few extra marks so if you can shed any light on how to do well on a isa I'll be ever grateful !

Good luck with your exams as I'm sure you'll past or even pass with flying colours
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
Examiners will deviate from the ms if it is still correct within reason

Still, I'm really unimpressed with AQA's new science course. The fact of the matter is that the mark schemes should not be omitting obvious (and the emulsifying properties of bile are in the specification) points. The fact that the grade boundaries are so low also shows that the exams are either simply too hard or the mark schemes are too picky. Scoring 65% in the B1 exams last June would have gotten you an A*, which just shows how inappropriate the exam was.
I will add a poll tomorrow to gage how hard/easy everyone found it
Reply 145
Original post by Midnight1811
My biology ISA was bobbins I got 36 and a few people got 46. I congratulated them as that's like getting a exam 100 ums score. But I bogeled how they picked so many marks so if you any of you kind members give me a few tips to revise or prepare for an ISA as id like to get a few extra marks so if you can shed any light on how to do well on a isa I'll be ever grateful !

Good luck with your exams as I'm sure you'll past or even pass with flying colours

Thanks! ISAs are difficult, whatever people say! You need to remember the mark scheme - section 1 is always the same. Then just remember some key words like random error, systematic etc and use them in section 2 to impress your teacher!

Oh yeah, some questions for people who want them!

1) What are the 4 things proteins act as?
2) What is diffusion?
3) What are the three types of tissue, and what are they used for in the stomach?
4) Name three plant organs
5) Name the 5 ways which glucose is used in plants
6) Name the 4 ways in which energy from respiration is used

(;
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 146
Original post by Ammy97
Does anyone want to test each other? :tongue:

Explain Speciation like what is it, how does it occur...? :smile:
Reply 147
Good luck everyone my bets involves the organs in digestion uses of enzymes and mitosis and meiosis definitely coming up!!
Hey, i just made an account right now and Im wondering do we need to know all the stages in mitosis and meiosis? Or do we just need to know the basics?
Original post by Arshii

Give advantages and disadvantages of using enzymes in industry
Original post by Afghan Warrior
Hey, i just made an account right now and Im wondering do we need to know all the stages in mitosis and meiosis? Or do we just need to know the basics?

It wouldn't harm you to know the stages, but I'm pretty certain that my biology teacher told us we don't need to know the details.
Reply 151
Original post by Arshii

ok, speciation is the development of a new species. This is caused by 2 populations (or more) being separated by a geographical divide. The different populations adapt to their environment (through natural selection - variation and mutations) and become so different that the populations are unable to breed together and produce fertile offspring, so the different populations are different species.

What is an allele?
Reply 152
Original post by BI0
Thanks! ISAs are difficult, whatever people say! You need to remember the mark scheme - section 1 is always the same. Then just remember some key words like random error, systematic etc and use them in section 2 to impress your teacher!

2) What is diffusion?
3) What are the three types of tissue, and what are they used for in the stomach?

(;

1) structural components of tissues ie muscles/ antibodies/ biological catalysts/ oh god can't remember the other one HELP HAHAH
2)The spreading of particles in a gas or any substance in solution resulting in the net movement from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration - to increase rate increase concentration gradient
3) stomach - church contents glandular - digestive juices epithelial - cover inside and outside of stomach
4) stem roots leaves
5) Cellulose cell wall - respiration - lipids for storage - protein manufacture - insoluble starch for storage
6) molecules from large to small - to contract muscles - maintain steady body temp (birds) - protein manufacture (plants)

HOPE THAT'S RIGHT GUYS AND WHAT ABOUT THE 4th one for question 1!!!
Reply 153
Original post by Ammy97
ok, speciation is the development of a new species. This is caused by 2 populations (or more) being separated by a geographical divide. The different populations adapt to their environment (through natural selection - variation and mutations) and become so different that the populations are unable to breed together and produce fertile offspring, so the different populations are different species.

What is an allele?

Allele - alternative form of a gene
Original post by Chlorophile
It wouldn't harm you to know the stages, but I'm pretty certain that my biology teacher told us we don't need to know the details.

oh okay, i'm just really confused between the two. I know that in meiosis gametes are involved, and that 4 gametes are produced in the end. with mitosis the cell reproduces itself by splitting into two identical offspring. is that enough? because im really confused
Original post by cjslions
1) structural components of tissues ie muscles/ antibodies/ biological catalysts/ oh god can't remember the other one HELP HAHAH
2)The spreading of particles in a gas or any substance in solution resulting in the net movement from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration - to increase rate increase concentration gradient
3) stomach - church contents glandular - digestive juices epithelial - cover inside and outside of stomach
4) stem roots leaves
5) Cellulose cell wall - respiration - lipids for storage - protein manufacture - insoluble starch for storage
6) molecules from large to small - to contract muscles - maintain steady body temp (birds) - protein manufacture (plants)

Hormones

Remeber it as

H
A
C
S
Reply 156
Original post by BI0

2) What is diffusion?

(;

1) -Hormones (insulin)
- Enzymes
-Antibodies
-Structural components
2) A overall Net movement of dissolved substances going down from an area of high concentration to low concentration?
3) Epithelial- Protects the lining of the stomach
Muscular- Churns food
Glandular- Secretes enzymes and acids
4) Stem, Root, Leaf
5) -Used to build up cell walls from carbohydrate
- Combined with Nitrate ions and mineral ions to build up amino acids
- Converted to in-soluble starch for storage
- Converted to fats and oils which can be used for seeds during germination or to strengthen the cell wall
-Provides energy from cells
6) -To allow muscular contractions
-To build up large molecules from smaller ones
- To keep body temperature of a mammal constant and warm.

Cannot think of 4 though?:colondollar:
Reply 157
Here's some questions for any if you guys:
1) What is in a bacterial cell?
2)What is the role of the small and large intestine?
3) 3 limiting factors and why they limit the rate?
4) 4 industrial and home uses of enzymes?
5) changes that take place in aerobic respiration?
6) the 4 ways fossils are formed?
4) stem roots leaves

Btw way for Q6 its large from small, not large to small :smile:
Reply 159

Yep you got those three, proteins act as: hormones, antibodies, structural components of tissues e.g. muscles, and catalysts (in the form of enzymes) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending