5.38%
This discussion is closed.
lolface32
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Efemena15)
Explain how alpha and beta radiations are deflected by an electric field but gamma radiation is not (4 marks)
Alpha radiation consists of a positively charged particles, and so it will be repulsed by another positive charge, where as beta radiation consists of high energy electrons( which are negatively charged) and so will repel against a negatively charged field. However, gamma radiation is uncharged, so it will not be deflected at all
LemonFish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Explain how alpha and beta radiations are deflected by an electric field but gamma radiation is not (4 marks)
Alpha particles contain 2 protons which possess a positive charge, which is why they would be deflected by the electrical field and beta particles are basically fast moving electrons with a negative charge of -1, which is why they would also be deflected.

Gamma radiation is emitted as a wave, which means it cannot possess an electrical charge

Why is a beta particle deflected at a greater angle by an electrical field than a Alpha particle?
techno836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
- alpha has a mr of 4 so it has mass, making it highly ionising and easily deflected
- beta has mr of 1/1860 so still some mass and is slightly deflected
- gamma is a ray/wave so it it doesnt particularly have mass and isnt deflected by the electric field
pinkgorilla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SuccessAYB)
Can somebody just give a quick answer on 'the life of stars' and how stars are formed...
Go a few pages back. There is a good explanation there Page 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Efemena15
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LemonFish)
Alpha particles contain 2 protons which possess a positive charge, which is why they would be deflected by the electrical field and beta particles are basically fast moving electrons with a negative charge of -1, which is why they would also be deflected.

Gamma radiation is emitted as a wave, which means it cannot possess an electrical charge

Why is a beta particle deflected at a greater angle by an electrical field than a Alpha particle?
Beta particles have a smaller mass so are more easily attracted to the positive side of the electric/magnetic field
Farhan96
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good luck guys, did this exam in june so I would say revise nuclear fission and fusion for sure because it didnt come up in our exam and life of stars.
ayshac94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i'd love it if the six marker was on the life cycle of stars
Efemena15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ayshac94)
i'd love it if the six marker was on the life cycle of stars

Can you explain to me the life cycle of stars like our sun (6 marks)
ayshac94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can you explain to me the life cycle of stars like our sun (6 marks)
i watched this, it explains it really well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmF7q...9D5CD08325652A
Efemena15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i watched this, it explains it really well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmF7q...9D5CD08325652A
Haha thanks but I've already seen it, I was checking if you knew
ayshac94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haha thanks but I've already seen it, I was checking if you knew
something like this maybe?
Stars are born in nebulae. Huge clouds of dust and gas collapse under gravitational forces, forming protostars. These young stars undergo further collapse, forming main sequence stars.

Stars expand as they grow old. As the core runs out of hydrogen and then helium, the core contacts and the outer layers expand, cool, and become less bright. This is a red giant or a red super giant (depending on the initial mass of the star). It will eventually collapse and explode. Its fate is determined by the original mass of the star; it will become either a red dwarf, neutron star, or black hole.
lolface32
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Guys, do we have to know ALL the formulas, in the mock we were given them all? Would they do that again?
ayshac94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lolface32)
Guys, do we have to know ALL the formulas, in the mock we were given them all? Would they do that again?
we're given them
Efemena15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you guys know much about regenerative braking?
Quantaˌ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anyone have the examiner report for the Unit 2 test in June 2012? Thanks.
UKRS
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lolface32)
Given them all but not given speed = distance/time which we were told by our teacher we'd need to know - pretty basic anyway.
BI0
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
something like this maybe?
Stars are born in nebulae. Huge clouds of dust and gas collapse under gravitational forces, forming protostars. These young stars undergo further collapse, forming main sequence stars.

Stars expand as they grow old. As the core runs out of hydrogen and then helium, the core contacts and the outer layers expand, cool, and become less bright. This is a red giant or a red super giant (depending on the initial mass of the star). It will eventually collapse and explode. Its fate is determined by the original mass of the star; it will become either a red dwarf, neutron star, or black hole.
Whats a red dwarf?
bbadonde2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you guys know much about regenerative braking?
Basically instead of a normal braking syste,, when using regenerative braking the motor of the car goes into reverse slowing the car down. This saves the loss of heat energy. Simple
SportsFan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Guys still awake got the exam tomorrow afternoon right?
ayshac94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BI0)
Whats a red dwarf?
A small, old, relatively cool star
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (119)
64.67%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.2%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.13%

Watched Threads