The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3480
GiantScouser
Tales From The Travelling Kop (shameless plug) but I'll be working my way onto Boys From The Mersey by Nicolas Allt, Here We Go Gathering Cups In May by John Maguire et al, One Boy And His Kop and My Youth My Kop by Peter Etherington. I'd recommend them to everyone.

Even Everton fans? heh heh :p:
Definitely! It's the closet you'll get to experiencing a European Cup final :p:
I'm reading another Christie at the moment

A. Christie - Peril at End House

I can see a trend appearing...
I'm attempting to get through my reading list for uni, so far i've finished 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and am now just starting 'Lord of the Flies'. Only another eight or so to read before the course starts...so. not. happening.
Occasionally look at my BTEC National IT Practioners book.

Started Reading:
Beggining Programming with Java for Dummies (2nd Edition), paperback.
Reply 3485
That sounds like a right laugh :p:
vector
That sounds like a right laugh :p:

What does....
Robert Jordan - The Great Hunt - almost finished it
The Deadly Game - Simon Cooper.

I'm only about 40 pages in, but I'd reccomend it just from that! :biggrin:
Dinner for two by Mike Gayle - I'm about half way through and i adore it, the second book of his i have read and loved.
I'm reading MASH by Richard Hooker. And my copy is a limited edidion hardback from the 70s, only 300 printed! :smile:
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. Very funny!
Finished Catch-22, what an amazing book.

Onto The Great Gatsby now.
Reply 3493
Have you only just read Catch-22 or is that a repeat reading?
I just finished reading 'Sharp Teeth' by Toby Barlow. It's about werewolves in LA, and it's all in free verse. Really original idea, well executed and an addictive story as well! I was a bit sceptical about the verse before I started it, but as soon as I started the book I was hooked. Definitely reccommend it.

Before that I read 'The End of Mr Y' by Scarlett Thomas. Really good. Lots of ideas crammed in there, explains quantum physics in a page, but a really good, thought-provoking book. Bit disappointed by the ending, but the storyline and the way the book looks (the edges of the pages are black! It's about a cursed book) made up for it!

Also reccommended by moi (the prestigious critic, lol) is 'The Book of Lost Things' by John Connolly. I picked it up in the Waterstone's 3 for 2 offer to make up my 3 books, and hadn't heard of it. It turned out to be my favourite of the 3! Really good fantasy coming of age story influenced by the sinister side of fairy tales, with good background notes at the end. Excellent.
Reply 3495
woo Gatsby... well actually he sucks, I like books were you dislike all the characters though, quite a skill! I've just finished the man of my dreams, can't even remember who wrote it, same person who wrote prep. It was good but kinda sadly making...
Reply 3496
The shadow of the wind by Carlos ruiz Zafon

I'm not far into it, but so far there's a lot of mystery and it could go any way. Very well written in my opnion though - for a book that isn't a "classic" of any kind.

*yeah, I'd like to edit in that at some points it's a bit crappily written, but I dunno if that's the author or the translator.

If you're going to repeat lines with particular significance and stuff, make them GOOD ones!
The Story of Film by Mark Cousins and Post Office by Charles Bukowski
Reply 3498
I am reading the Friends & Enemies series by David Field. I am almost done the second book (Beings in a Dream). I am really enjoying the series. It is about a teenage boy who goes back in time 400 years. It is a littole bit fantasy, a lot of adventure, and a little innocent romance. It is a really fantastic series but I haven't been able to find many people who have read it.
I am reading another Louise Bagshawe novel entitled 'Glamour'. Yes I go through Author phases, it's pretty weird lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending