The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
im revising memoirs of a geisha

If you're into that (I personally think Japanese history, especially the geisha is fascinating) you should read Liza Dalby's Geisha. As well as being about Liza herself, the only non-Japanese woman to become a geisha it also chronicles the history of the Geisha. It's really a great book and Arthur Golden himself said he thought it was a great book.
Reply 781
ayaan
Love it!

I just re-read Mort.

I shouldn't have, i bought it as a birthday present for a friend.

I feel a little guilty.

I actually read Mort in just one day, one very boring day...great book :wink:
Got a few on the go:

Robert Jordan - Knife of Dreams (re-read)
The British Army: A Concise History
Carl Von Clausewitz - On War
Electronics: A Systems Approach
Reply 784
The Third Twin - Ken Follett
Still reading 1984. Great so far.

Also re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird in preparation for trial exams...
i have just finished "the music of the primes" by marcus du sautoy...a fascinating introduction to the history of prime numbers from the time of euclid to cutting edge theories of today.
Reply 787
The Penguin Dorothy Parker. Very interesting.
Oooooooh Dorothy Parker! I just bought that book! It's wonderful! :smile:
Catch-22. Very interesting read and quite funny too.
Orientalism, Edward Said.

Quite interesting, so far, but I resent having to write an essay about it.
An interesting comparison with Orientalism- and much more readable- is The Lords of Human Kind by V. G. Kiernan.

Reading Milosz's ABC- a sort of memoirs- in alphabetical order rather than chronological by the Polish poet.
Collected poems of Stefan Themerson- another Pole- who was a very wise and tolerant philosopher too.
After London by Richard Jeffreys- Victorian SF where Jeffreys- who was dying of TBand hated London imagined nature coming back to destroyit.
Assassins Apprentice - Robin Hobb. Heard lots of rave reviews of Hobb but i hadnt checked her out till now and boy have i been missing out.
I am currently reading a few books..

1599 A year in the life of Shakespeare
Stephen Frys utter and incomplete guide to classical music .This is my lunch hour book and it is so amusing)
The Animals of Farthing Wood. I felt depressed so took the first book that appealled from my book case. I had forgotten how wonderful a story it is!!
sparklyteacosie

The Animals of Farthing Wood. I felt depressed so took the first book that appealled from my book case. I had forgotten how wonderful a story it is!!

Oooh! I used to watch that on CBBC when I was little! *hums the theme tune*
Reply 795
A bit of Criticism on L'Etranger! (Hoping for Oxford Interview!)
ayaan
Orientalism, Edward Said.

Quite interesting, so far, but I resent having to write an essay about it.

I read that a few months ago and I can safely say that it changed the way I look on the East, and I really should have known more tbh :redface: Said was an immense scholar, he'll be missed :frown:

--------------------------------------

Che- Is that criticism in French or English?
Reply 797
Harry Potter #6 (again :biggrin:) and ALice in Wonderland, non-disney version. Actually im reading quite a few books at the same time. :biggrin: The alice in wonderland isn't THAT differnt. Everyone told me is was WAY differnt than the disney movie. :confused:
Reply 798
New Scientist (November 5th Edition) and re-reading 1984!

--------------

SpiralArchitect
Got a few on the go:

Robert Jordan - Knife of Dreams (re-read)

Still have to get and read KoD. How is it?
Reply 799
Ritual Irony: Poetry and Sacrifice in Euripides

And it's just as much fun as it sounds :rolleyes:

sparklyteacosie

I had all the books - never liked them as much as the tv series though (maybe because they weren't as funny).

The tv series was brilliant though, they should so repeat it! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending