Turn on thread page Beta

What book are you reading now? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    War by Sebastian Junger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamooshka)
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. :top:
    Loved it. I read that over the summer just after I turned 14. Of Mice and Men, The Red Pony, The Pearl, East of Eden... all really great reads.

ReputationRep:
    plato - gorgias

no idea what is going on

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Hawking's On The Shoulders of Giants.

I have not even thought about any other book that I would read after it, as it is long in itself...

ReputationRep:
    Big Sur by Jack Kerouac and Howl, Kaddish and other poems by Allen Ginsberg.

totally on a beat roll

ReputationRep:
    The Fry Chronicles and currently looking for my old copy of The Great Gatsby; the best book that has ever been written. Recommendations of any "classic" books I should get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayeffsee)
    Ouch For pleasure or academic purposes, if you don't mind me asking?
    I wanted to read it - I've not read any Hardy Although I will probably count it for wider reading when my exam gets nearer. Then again it is quite long...

ReputationRep:
    The Mill on the Floss. My first experience of Eliot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcockerill1)
    The Fry Chronicles and currently looking for my old copy of The Great Gatsby; the best book that has ever been written. Recommendations of any "classic" books I should get?
    Loads, but definitely try Tender is the Night by F.Scott Fitzgerald. I think it's a bit better than Gatsby!

ReputationRep:
    Collected Essays by H D Thoreau
    Beat generation poetry (Ginsberg, Corso...)

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter y La Camara Secreta (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lafayette Blues)
    Loads, but definitely try Tender is the Night by F.Scott Fitzgerald. I think it's a bit better than Gatsby!
    I've got a list of 1984, David Copperfield, Dorian Gray, Oliver Twist (had it but lost it) A Tale of Two Cities, Jekyll and Hyde, so I shall add that to it! Thanks! Not sure it can be as good as Gatsby though, that's such a beautiful book.

I am going to start "Révolution, consulat et Empire, 1789-1815" by Michel Biard, Philippe Bourdin and Silvia Marzagalli.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laut_biru)
    I'm re-reading Ender's Game.
    Loved that book .

Just finished "Emperor-The Gates of Rome" by Conn Iggulden and now Im gonna read The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo to fill in the time for the next Emperor books to come from the library.

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. I'm really enjoying it so far; I've just reached the second part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayReg)
    Loved that book .
    It is so very awesome.

I'm meant to be reading Birdsong, as someone has it reserved for when I'm done with it.. but I want to read the first edition copy of The Demolished Man that I got from the library.

Choices, choices..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lafayette Blues)
    I wanted to read it - I've not read any Hardy Although I will probably count it for wider reading when my exam gets nearer. Then again it is quite long...
    Haha, in which case you're very brave, taking on Hardy voluntarily We're reading it for English at the moment, and though wonderful, it did take a while to really draw me in

__

Just finished Slaughterhouse Five - about to start reading My Name Is Red ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatechip02)
    The Elegant Universe (Brian Greene)
    I have finished it couple of days ago really good

ReputationRep:
    Pride and Prejudice and a locally written book called The Rest of Our Lives

ReputationRep:
    In search of schrodinger's cat

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.