The Student Room Group

LAW degree in the UK

I have applied to UCAS already, but like u all know, I have a few days to change my choices if I like… I would like your opinions about my university choices to do a law degree in the uk. My chosen universities are

1. Manchester
2. Liverpool
3. Sheffield
4. Durham
5. Nottingham
6. Leicester

The problem is, since I don’t live in the uk, or haven’t really lived there for long periods of time, I would really appreciate your opinions on how the places are like to live in, the social life, the university itself, any experiences u would like to share, and any other suggestions of where to study. My predicted grades are 2 A’s and 1 B! and I do 3 A levels… thanks for all the advice in advance :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Manchester is probably the best city on the planet.
Reply 2
Lord Huntroyde
Manchester is probably the best city on the planet.

Lol guess u live there then :tongue: Any unbiased opinions? :biggrin:
Reply 3
shilpashilpa
Lol guess u live there then :tongue: Any unbiased opinions? :biggrin:

What! No London Uni's!?!? lol
Manchester has a good night life- and I've heard that Sheffield and Nottingham do too!
Reply 4
sheffields not too bad!
Reply 5
Thanks u guys! anyway anyone else doing law?
Reply 6
Anyone heard of Keele, they r offering a very interesting course history and law, and the grades needed r quite low.. any comment?S
Reply 7
shilpashilpa
Anyone heard of Keele, they r offering a very interesting course history and law, and the grades needed r quite low.. any comment?S

Yeah I've got an offer from Keele for Law and Politics. Sounds like a nice place, but I've never been there before- so it's my 6th choice.
Reply 8
I love the way the thread starter just tried to use the tag to make her title stand out and it just failed. Haha.
Reply 9
Tek
I love the way the thread starter just tried to use the tag to make her title stand out and it just failed. Haha.

gosh, u have nuthin else to rite huh? ooo well it still stood out enough for u to notice it !! haha urself!
Reply 10
Elle
Yeah I've got an offer from Keele for Law and Politics. Sounds like a nice place, but I've never been there before- so it's my 6th choice.

oh ok! i havent included it, coz mah dad think's its not good enough! the problem is both of us honestly have no clue about the places i have applied to, except the fact that they r good uni's for laW!
Reply 11
well what do you want to know specifically
I am at Sheffield and i know people at Liverpool and Durham so let me know what you want to know and I will hopefully be able to answer any questions you have. Or try to anyway!
Reply 12
shilpashilpa
I have applied to UCAS already, but like u all know, I have a few days to change my choices if I like… I would like your opinions about my university choices to do a law degree in the uk. My chosen universities are

1. Manchester
2. Liverpool
3. Sheffield
4. Durham
5. Nottingham
6. Leicester

The problem is, since I don’t live in the uk, or haven’t really lived there for long periods of time, I would really appreciate your opinions on how the places are like to live in, the social life, the university itself, any experiences u would like to share, and any other suggestions of where to study. My predicted grades are 2 A’s and 1 B! and I do 3 A levels… thanks for all the advice in advance :redface:

If you were to get the grades, I'd say Notts and Manc, perhaps alongside Durham were the best, academically that is. Overall Uni, Notts is the best (i.e. better across the board, not only in law). Durham is quiet, they think they're a lot better than they actually are, but it is fairly well regarded. Manchester has been very good for law traditionally, it's set to merge (may want to read up on the effect that's likely to have). Although, does seem as though Manchester isn't a particularly 'talked about' university in academic circles anymore. Liverpool is a scary place, Sheffield too full of peculiar people and lots of industry. Lesta is full of semi serious dossers, i.e. even worse.

Ah well, that covers them all! All the best.
Reply 13
theres nothing wrong with Sheffield as a place I'd say it is a more pleasant city than Manchester and Liverpool. I thought it would be awful but i love it.
Reply 14
viviki
theres nothing wrong with Sheffield as a place I'd say it is a more pleasant city than Manchester and Liverpool. I thought it would be awful but i love it.

Hey thats good news for me, i just got an offer from Sheffield :smile:
Reply 15
viviki
well what do you want to know specifically
I am at Sheffield and i know people at Liverpool and Durham so let me know what you want to know and I will hopefully be able to answer any questions you have. Or try to anyway!

i finallly got the offer from durham .. and they asked for very gettable grades as well.. but i heard durham is way too quiet and the locals dont like the uni students or something? can anyone give me some info on durham uni plz esp for law?
Reply 16
shilpashilpa
i finallly got the offer from durham .. and they asked for very gettable grades as well.. but i heard durham is way too quiet and the locals dont like the uni students or something? can anyone give me some info on durham uni plz esp for law?

I avoided Durham for mainly those reasons and the teaching system. Saying that though, its respected Uni for Law.
shilpashilpa

durham is the most respected law school out of the ones you applied to except for maybe notthingham. Manchester is behing those 2. I hope i get an offer from durham as i think i would like to go there (also applied to manchester and LSE)
Reply 18
shilpashilpa

congrats on the offer,
happy b'day too..have a good time?
nice pics, btw :wink:
Reply 19
ShOcKzZ
congrats on the offer,
happy b'day too..have a good time?
nice pics, btw :wink:

Thanks.. how did u noe? wait a min, its prolly on my profile :biggrin:
Anyway had a great time... now i m facked.. gottoo watch loads of footie in like an hour and a half.. have a differentiation test tommorow P3 which is soo messed :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending