The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lived there in my first year (long time ago) - it's my understanding that the fire alarm system is much improved.

Also, it was really friendly when I was there, good support, nice central common room with good tv, and laundry onsite (unlike Gateley).
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
swiftuk
Lived there in my first year (long time ago) - it's my understanding that the fire alarm system is much improved.

Also, it was really friendly when I was there, good support, nice central common room with good tv, and laundry onsite (unlike Gateley).

Glad to hear its improved :smile: What is the kitchen like? everyone seems to be saying its the smallest :/
Reply 3
Romero's not bad. Its near town and therefore you have to get a bus to university, but there are benefits of living in a small comunity; a much more inclusive feel.

Halls are all about who you happen to be living with, not where you are living.
Reply 4
emma.191
Glad to hear its improved :smile: What is the kitchen like? everyone seems to be saying its the smallest :/

Not everyone eats or cooks at the same time anyway...and whilst (e.g.) Monte 4 have more floor space in their kitchen for similar number of rooms, they don't have more fridges or cookers.

I don't remeber it being an issue...you'll enjoy it :yep:
Reply 5
Oh my god the fire alarms!!! the alarms!!! I had almost forgotten....

There's nowt wrong with Romero, I stayed there in 2006-2007. Good sized flats and rooms.

The fire alarms was a staple uni experience, you don't wanna miss it!

Jesus christ I'd actually forgotten how horrific being awoken at 3.30am by one was... ...

EDIT: I actually always slept with a coat on the back of my chair and shoes by the door... just in case.. came in useful about 4 times :eek:
Reply 6
If the coat only came in useful 4 times, that's much improved and not that different from anywhere else! (undergrad ones anyway).

I was there in 2004-2005, and we frequently had 3 a week.
Reply 7
Hi I'm in Romero Halls too, i suppose it wasn't first choice just like everyone else!!
I'm doing History at Avenue, is there anyone else on here doing the same?
It's kind of daunting waiting to go and not knowing anyone yet but im sure it will be great when we get there and all get to know each other over a beer or 10 hey!?
Reply 8
willgage18
Hi I'm in Romero Halls too, i suppose it wasn't first choice just like everyone else!!
I'm doing History at Avenue, is there anyone else on here doing the same?
It's kind of daunting waiting to go and not knowing anyone yet but im sure it will be great when we get there and all get to know each other over a beer or 10 hey!?

Everyone at romero is also at avenue campus, apart from me! but i called the accommodation office and they've moved me to orion's point which is cheaper and the rooms/en suites are HUGE compared to other student accommodation :smile:

Don't worry about meeting people! you'll be fine :smile: if you get lonely or you just don't get on with people in your halls leave me a message and we can go out somewhere :smile: orions point is about 10 minutes walk from romero :smile: x
Reply 9
emma.191
but i called the accommodation office and they've moved me to orion's point which is cheaper and the rooms/en suites are HUGE compared to other student accommodation :smile:

Aaaah!!! WHy did you do that?!!?!?!
Woot! Im in Romero halls doing Oceanography! :smile:
Anyone got numbers 38-44 on their accomo sheet?
:smile:
exciting!
Reply 11
jazzychrissy
Woot! Im in Romero halls doing Oceanography! :smile:
Anyone got numbers 38-44 on their accomo sheet?
:smile:
exciting!

38-44 is part of the (new) address.

You can also get stuff addressed to La Sainte Union (or something like that), depending on which postcode mass mailers/randomers use :wink:
Reply 12
emma.191
Everyone at romero is also at avenue campus, apart from me! but i called the accommodation office and they've moved me to orion's point which is cheaper and the rooms/en suites are HUGE compared to other student accommodation :smile:

Don't worry about meeting people! you'll be fine :smile: if you get lonely or you just don't get on with people in your halls leave me a message and we can go out somewhere :smile: orions point is about 10 minutes walk from romero :smile: x

Have to say I'd feel safer at Romero....:s-smilie:

That said (pre- the private rented soc, which isn't old), we used to invite people from Orion's and Mercury to JCR stuff, so it's not far. Guess that wont happen now.
Reply 13
Talya
Aaaah!!! WHy did you do that?!!?!?!

I really couldn't see myself living there, and i just so happened to adore orion's point :smile:
Reply 14
swiftuk
Have to say I'd feel safer at Romero....:s-smilie:

That said (pre- the private rented soc, which isn't old), we used to invite people from Orion's and Mercury to JCR stuff, so it's not far. Guess that wont happen now.

I think i'll actually feel safer at orions point, it's a lot more surveillanced and none of the rooms are on ground level. apparently someone from solent kept coming to romero and stealing all the knives :/ Also theres a 24 hour reception which romero doesnt have and the bus will drop me off right outside the building in the night, whereas at romero theres a bit of a walk. Both will be safe though :smile:

Yea its only a 7 minute walk :smile: it might still happen!
Reply 15
emma.191
Also theres a 24 hour reception which romero doesnt have and the bus will drop me off right outside the building in the night, whereas at romero theres a bit of a walk. Both will be safe though :smile:

Yea its only a 7 minute walk :smile: it might still happen!

I'd prefer having wardenal people (as they were good at sorting out trouble(makers), giving advice and generally being nice) to having a reception open 24 hours...but again that may just be me.

I'm sure everyone will be fine :yep: I just wouldn't want to live in that bit of St Mary's, because even standing at that stop in the day you get more drug conversations than I'm comfortable with, but then some people may be used to that.
Reply 16
swiftuk
I'd prefer having wardenal people (as they were good at sorting out trouble(makers), giving advice and generally being nice) to having a reception open 24 hours...but again that may just be me.

I'm sure everyone will be fine :yep: I just wouldn't want to live in that bit of St Mary's, because even standing at that stop in the day you get more drug conversations than I'm comfortable with, but then some people may be used to that.

Great :|
Reply 17
has anyone got a reading list yet? and is anyone else going up on the sunday like me as i can't make it on the saturday!?
Reply 18
willgage18
has anyone got a reading list yet? and is anyone else going up on the sunday like me as i can't make it on the saturday!?

No one i know has got a reading list yet, its so bad! i havent even been told what day i'm moving in yet :frown:
Reply 19
emma.191
No one i know has got a reading list yet, its so bad! i havent even been told what day i'm moving in yet :frown:

Phone them and ask. My brother's moving into Orion's Point and after he phoned he knew exactly what time they were expecting him on what day and which particular room he's been assigned.

Latest

Trending

Trending