The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Accomodation at southampton uni

I was jus wondering if anybody knows much about the accomodation and if theres any which arent that good which i should stay away from or is it better to go for private accom etc.

If anyone knows anything really about uni of soton accom and could help that would be great
Original post by charlie.R.12
I was jus wondering if anybody knows much about the accomodation and if theres any which arent that good which i should stay away from or is it better to go for private accom etc.

If anyone knows anything really about uni of soton accom and could help that would be great

Hey!
As a student ambassador, I'd be happy to provide you with information about accommodation options at the University of Southampton. The university offers a variety of accommodation choices for students, including both university-managed and private accommodations.

University-managed accommodation are the halls of residence. These are on-campus accommodations typically located near the main university buildings. They offer a convenient and immersive living experience, with options for catered or self-catered halls. Some popular halls include Wessex Lane, Mayflower Halls, and Glen Eyre.

If you prefer to explore private accommodations, there are several options available near the university. These include shared houses, private student residences, and purpose-built student accommodation. Private accommodations offer more independent living but may require additional research and consideration.

When it comes to choosing accommodation, it's essential to consider your preferences, budget, and lifestyle. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

Location: Consider the proximity of the accommodation to your academic buildings, facilities, and transportation links.
Budget: Determine your budget and look for options that fit within it, considering rent, utility bills, and other associated costs.
Facilities: Check the amenities provided, such as laundry facilities, internet access, study spaces, common areas, and security measures.
Social aspects: Think about whether you prefer a quieter or more sociable environment, and consider the availability of communal spaces for socializing.
Support: Explore the support services provided by the accommodation, such as resident advisors or staff who can assist with any concerns or issues.
It's also helpful to seek advice from current or former students at the University of Southampton to gain firsthand insights into specific accommodations. The university's accommodation office can provide further guidance and support in your decision-making process.

Remember, the suitability of an accommodation can vary depending on individual preferences, so it's essential to consider what matters most to you when making your decision.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
On campus at the University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!
As a student ambassador, I'd be happy to provide you with information about accommodation options at the University of Southampton. The university offers a variety of accommodation choices for students, including both university-managed and private accommodations.

University-managed accommodation are the halls of residence. These are on-campus accommodations typically located near the main university buildings. They offer a convenient and immersive living experience, with options for catered or self-catered halls. Some popular halls include Wessex Lane, Mayflower Halls, and Glen Eyre.

If you prefer to explore private accommodations, there are several options available near the university. These include shared houses, private student residences, and purpose-built student accommodation. Private accommodations offer more independent living but may require additional research and consideration.

When it comes to choosing accommodation, it's essential to consider your preferences, budget, and lifestyle. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

Location: Consider the proximity of the accommodation to your academic buildings, facilities, and transportation links.
Budget: Determine your budget and look for options that fit within it, considering rent, utility bills, and other associated costs.
Facilities: Check the amenities provided, such as laundry facilities, internet access, study spaces, common areas, and security measures.
Social aspects: Think about whether you prefer a quieter or more sociable environment, and consider the availability of communal spaces for socializing.
Support: Explore the support services provided by the accommodation, such as resident advisors or staff who can assist with any concerns or issues.
It's also helpful to seek advice from current or former students at the University of Southampton to gain firsthand insights into specific accommodations. The university's accommodation office can provide further guidance and support in your decision-making process.

Remember, the suitability of an accommodation can vary depending on individual preferences, so it's essential to consider what matters most to you when making your decision.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador

i ended u applying for glen eyre and wessex lane. Hopedullly come september ill be studying engineering and was just wondering if you knew how close these accomodations were to where would study?
i ended u applying for glen eyre and wessex lane. Hopedullly come september ill be studying engineering and was just wondering if you knew how close these accomodations were to where would study?

Hi,

That's great news!

For engineering you will be mostly studying on Highfield Campus as far as I'm aware (you can check this by looking at your course page on the website, it should tell you the location). This is the main campus so it is a good one to be based at since there are always different things going on there and it is where the majority of students will be.

Glen Eyre and Wessex Lane are two of the largest accommodation sites and are popular with Freshers - so, good choice! Both are within walking distance t Highfield Campus, with Glen Eyre about a 10 minute walk and Wessex Lane about a 15-20 minute walk. You can also get buses to both sites and the bus pass is included in your years rent if you are staying in student accommodation which is super handy for travelling around the city as well!

Hope this helps!

Abbie :smile:
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by UoS PG students
Hi,

That's great news!

For engineering you will be mostly studying on Highfield Campus as far as I'm aware (you can check this by looking at your course page on the website, it should tell you the location). This is the main campus so it is a good one to be based at since there are always different things going on there and it is where the majority of students will be.

Glen Eyre and Wessex Lane are two of the largest accommodation sites and are popular with Freshers - so, good choice! Both are within walking distance t Highfield Campus, with Glen Eyre about a 10 minute walk and Wessex Lane about a 15-20 minute walk. You can also get buses to both sites and the bus pass is included in your years rent if you are staying in student accommodation which is super handy for travelling around the city as well!

Hope this helps!

Abbie :smile:
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador

thats great thanks alot for the help. I got and accepted my Glen eyre accomodation so am now just waiting for results. I was just wondering if you knew about the formula student team and when you can join it as its something id be quite intrested in joining if able as ill be studying aeronatics and astronautics
thats great thanks alot for the help. I got and accepted my Glen eyre accomodation so am now just waiting for results. I was just wondering if you knew about the formula student team and when you can join it as its something id be quite intrested in joining if able as ill be studying aeronatics and astronautics

Hi,

It is great to hear you are keen to be a part of the Motorsport community!

I have had a look at the Formula Student Team website and it states that they take applications every autumn: "Driver Applications are now closed for 2022-23. We usually recruit drivers every fall. Check back after summer 2023 for the next round of applications." Applications for other roles in the team open at the same time.

They also state that "To be a driver, you must first become a member of TSM and have their karting membership", I will pop the link to both pages below!

Team Southampton Motorsport: https://www.susu.org/groups/wmc

SUFST: https://www.sufst.co.uk/

If it is not the driving you are interested in, Team Southampton Motorsport have lots of other exciting opportunities on offer such as a variety of socials and F1 viewings, so it is definitely worth having a look at their page using the above link.

The best place to get initial information about the society would be at the Freshers Fair/Bunfight, which is where societies and sports teams gather to accumulate interest from new and existing students. Here you can express your interest and find out more from the current committee members. Joining is not anything to worry about until the autumn.

If you have any other questions, please ask!

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep) 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending