The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
kebab22
Far more interesting and sensible question than guilty or not would be, why as a society are we so absolutely obsessed with these kind of cases?

because they are horrifying and disturbing...
i would be concerned if people werent interested.
Reply 21
vienna95
but for murder or manslaughter?

Who cares?

He'll be somewhere where he can't do it again to kids, and if he gets a sentence he may not come out of prison.
kebab22
Far more interesting and sensible question than guilty or not would be, why as a society are we so absolutely obsessed with these kind of cases?

i think awareness is better than ignorance. My family know a family who live near soham and their 9-year-old daughter, when holly and jessica first disappeared, was too scared to be upstairs in her own house alone!! It's not as much obsession as it is concern. Ian Huntley worked at the school of Holly and Jessica.

In terms of guilty/not guilty? Working in an environment with children, you should have an understanding of your position legally. i can't recall right now why they went into his house but he shouldn't have allowed it to happen as any teacher should not allow students into their house-your putting yourself in a very dangerous situation immediately. I can almost comprehend his reaction to Holly falling into the bath (almost!!) but then to be able to react to Jessica screaming and suffocate her!!
DanMushMan
i'm not really sure why he just didn't plead guilty. He doesn't even seem to be mounting any sort of defence at all, he's leaving himself out to dry.

if he pleads guilty to murder- he's in there for life.

if he's convicted of manslaughter- of one of them only (not sure who's who) he could be out of prison in 5 years.

love Katy ***
Reply 24
ickle_katy
if he pleads guilty to murder- he's in there for life.

if he's convicted of manslaughter- of one of them only (not sure who's who) he could be out of prison in 5 years.

love Katy ***

Not likely, the in-mates will have a right field day with him in there. He'd be lucky to come out alive.
icarusgideon
I am astonished and absolutely disgusted with this thread. I hope that you do understand that you are undermining the justice system and who knows who will be reading this.
I suggests that the mods. remove it immediately and its not only that, I really dont see how you (being ignorant of the case and BIASED because of the MEDIA!!) can brand someone guilty or unguilty.

I believe anyone who takes part on this most revolting poll is just as narrow-minded and despecable as yourself!!

Absolutely mind-boggling!?!..........*shudders* some people.........huhh

Excuse me, I was trying to start a discussion - I don't expect to be moaned at for it. You reckon I think that they are innocent?! Must be f*cking mad.
Reply 26
creativesurgeon
Guilty or not?

A poor case by Huntley in my opinion..if you read the Times, you would have seen how the QC was ripping him to bits in the cross-examination. If it is a true story, I do not think he will have the jury on his side anyway because it is more likely to be beyond reasonable doubt that his story is made up whilst the fact that he said he had all of a sudden recovered his memory (along with the times he changed his story) makes it all the more likely he is telling porkies...sounds like a story constructed by his legal team to get his sentence reduced to manslaughter
Reply 27
It's just the way his story keeps changing and he keeps on adding bits on the end, it just can't help but make you feel he's guilty.

He claimed he killed one of them so he goes to prison. end of story, unless he pleads insanity or has a miracle.
icarusgideon

I suggests that the mods. remove it immediately

Aaah, why? Because you are so narrow-minded? And everybody is influenced by the media. Just because you don't agree with my comments, then why should they be taken down. If you are so narrow-minded, why are you here? Push off.
Echo
It's just the way his story keeps changing and he keeps on adding bits on the end, it just can't help but make you feel he's guilty.

He claimed he killed one of them so he goes to prison. end of story, unless he pleads insanity or has a miracle.

I totally agree. I presume vary few people don't, but, it is part of the justice system that be permitted a fair and just trial - whether we like it or not.
Reply 30
Echo

Very clever, it seems you found my point valid and felt the need to repeat it. thank you, i'm honoured.
icarusgideon
I am astonished and absolutely disgusted with this thread. I hope that you do understand that you are undermining the justice system and who knows who will be reading this.
I suggests that the mods. remove it immediately and its not only that, I really dont see how you (being ignorant of the case and BIASED because of the MEDIA!!) can brand someone guilty or unguilty.

I believe anyone who takes part on this most revolting poll is just as narrow-minded and despecable as yourself!!

Absolutely mind-boggling!?!..........*shudders* some people.........huhh

Oh, AND I WORK IS A F*CKIN MEDIA THEORIST. SO IF ANYONE IS ABLE TO REMAIN IMPARTIAL, ITS ME.
btw, i dont think he can plead insanity- if you remember initially he was sectioned under the mental health act- they sent him to b checked. once they found he was of sound mind they arrested him for the murders.

love Katy ***
Reply 33
vienna95
because they are horrifying and disturbing...
i would be concerned if people werent interested.

they are no doubt horriifying and disturbing, i suppose this is why we are so curious. but considering the very very low incidence of crime like this and the fact that those committing these crimes are in the most part beyond help, we must wonder why we choose to put so much of our time, reflected by the media's attention to the case, on cases like this. i am not saying that they should not be though about, but surely we must get things in proportion.

it seriously borders on the obsessional, we want to see every bloody little rag those girls were wearing, we want to see inside the accused's house. day and night we are bombarded with images of ian huntley looking grim and bedraggled. the fact is we as the public cannot decide the guilt of maxine carr or ian huntley thus why is this stuff really relevant outside the court. i see it as feeding into rather deep rooted dark elements to our pyche, that is fascinated by this sort of crime. maybe the power of ian huntley over maxine carr, a fundamental similarity to the case the moors murders that involved a man's manipulation of a woman to commit the most horrendous of crimes. i mean to be honest we indulge in the tragedy, so much so, that all other affairs in our world, some more treatable than the existence of child murderes in society, become secondary. why do we need to see so much of this case in all its horrific gory detail? what purpose does it serve? what good will come of it? we seem at once to demonize it as the greatest evil of all while remaining utterly compelled by it. it is not as if the papers discuss it in a sense as to what should be done, why has it happened or how could it happen (beyond the calls for vigalante action by worthless red tops like the news of the world). we watch it all unfold as it it were a horror story, we speculate, accuse, project, imagine. maxine carr and ian huntley have become celebreities.
deary_ma_leary
i think awareness is better than ignorance. My family know a family who live near soham and their 9-year-old daughter, when holly and jessica first disappeared, was too scared to be upstairs in her own house alone!! It's not as much obsession as it is concern. Ian Huntley worked at the school of Holly and Jessica.

In terms of guilty/not guilty? Working in an environment with children, you should have an understanding of your position legally. i can't recall right now why they went into his house but he shouldn't have allowed it to happen as any teacher should not allow students into their house-your putting yourself in a very dangerous situation immediately. I can almost comprehend his reaction to Holly falling into the bath (almost!!) but then to be able to react to Jessica screaming and suffocate her!!

http://www.thinkofthechildren.co.uk
:rolleyes:
Reply 35
kebab22
they are no doubt horriifying and disturbing, i suppose this is why we are so curious. but considering the very very low incidence of crime like this and the fact that those committing these crimes are in the most part beyond help, we must wonder why we choose to put so much of our time, reflected by the media's attention to the case, on cases like this. i am not saying that they should not be though about, but surely we must get things in proportion.

it seriously borders on the obsessional, we want to see every bloody little rag those girls were wearing, we want to see inside the accused's house. day and night we are bombarded with images of ian huntley looking grim and bedraggled. the fact is we as the public cannot decide the guilt of maxine carr or ian huntley thus why is this stuff really relevant outside the court. i see it as feeding into rather deep rooted dark elements to our pyche, that is fascinated by this sort of crime. maybe the power of ian huntley over maxine carr, a fundamental similarity to the case the moors murders that involved a man's manipulation of a woman to commit the most horrendous of crimes. i mean to be honest we indulge in the tragedy, so much so, that all other affairs in our world, some more treatable than the existence of child murderes in society, become secondary. why do we need to see so much of this case in all its horrific gory detail? what purpose does it serve? what good will come of it? we seem at once to demonize it as the greatest evil of all while remaining utterly compelled by it. it is not as if the papers discuss it in a sense as to what should be done, why has it happened or how could it happen (beyond the calls for vigalante action by worthless red tops like the news of the world). we watch it all unfold as it it were a horror story, we speculate, accuse, project, imagine. maxine carr and ian huntley have become celebreities.

erm, whos the obsessive here?
does any one know where i can find notes and upto date information on this case? from the start.

'What do we want?

We want the law changed to make it illegal to murder children and bury them in woodland. We want it to be made illegal for adults to work with children. We want an end to the ridiculous process of 'criminal trials' for suspected child killers. '

What is that about? If adults don't work with children who do? and to encourage mobs? -im not sure what i think of this one
Reply 38
edders
huntley has to be... his story about how he 'accidently' killed the girls is laughable, something a 10 year old would come up with.

what story did he use?
Reply 39
deary_ma_leary
'What do we want?

We want the law changed to make it illegal to murder children and bury them in woodland. We want it to be made illegal for adults to work with children. We want an end to the ridiculous process of 'criminal trials' for suspected child killers. '

What is that about? If adults don't work with children who do? and to encourage mobs? -im not sure what i think of this one

We want an end to the ridiculous process of 'criminal trials' for suspected child killers.

Does that mean they want anyone accused of killing a child to go to prison without trial? Some of these extremist groups just don't consider their arguments.

Latest

Trending

Trending