The Student Room Group

Philosophy Applications 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
zakcohen
Obviously a good grade in Philosophy AS would have helped you along. UCL in particular, I can imagine, will look at that with a certain amount of rigour.
& accounting for the D in Geography if you are predicted an A?
I dunno, there's no point in kidding yourself that you will make A*AA and trying to "earn" predictions if you don't think it truely possible.
It kind of annoys me as I have been brutally honest with myself in what I am likely to achieve... then I see people (particularly on this forum) who have done worse than me at AS got As in their predictions...

I was only asking a simple question there was no need for a snooty reply... don't try to comment on other people's circumstances when you don't fully know them. Im over 90% on my history AS which leads me to believe im on target for an A* right?? There was a problem with the college and philosophy last year as only 4 of around 50 even got a pass grade in philosophy something which is very unusual. As for the D in geoegraphy its not a subject im taking through to A2 i hated it all through last year and therefore am instead taking psychology this year but i am taking both AS and A2 in one year... so please don't comment on situations when you don't know them fully.. all i wanted was a simple answer from someone who may had received offers in similar situations in previous years.

Can't help you much but basically I can tell you that the UCL admissions were pretty competitive last year. 20:1 is the figure I've got off the top of my head. Everyone I knew applying for Philo/Philo & Econ (me, couple of mates and a couple from TSR) got in bar one. But every one of us (including the guy who got rejected) got all As at AS/Predicted.

First you have to get to the Open Day, I think most people are rejected before then.
zakcohen

I was only asking a simple question there was no need for a snooty reply... don't try to comment on other people's circumstances when you don't fully know them. Im over 90% on my history AS which leads me to believe im on target for an A* right?? There was a problem with the college and philosophy last year as only 4 of around 50 even got a pass grade in philosophy something which is very unusual. As for the D in geoegraphy its not a subject im taking through to A2 i hated it all through last year and therefore am instead taking psychology this year but i am taking both AS and A2 in one year... so please don't comment on situations when you don't know them fully.. all i wanted was a simple answer from someone who may had received offers in similar situations in previous years.

my bad.
Reply 202
Laalice
Sure is.
Yeah I know where you're coming from with that, it's just knowing that it's right around the corner. I do hope all goes well.

We still have a week left - the most stressful part is the travel actually. I'm flying in the day before, so I'll get there late and I just hope I won't be too tired. Where are you coming from? And are you staying in the college? It might be nice to have someone to chat to at dinner the night before, if you're around.
Reply 203
bj_945
Can't help you much but basically I can tell you that the UCL admissions were pretty competitive last year. 20:1 is the figure I've got off the top of my head. Everyone I knew applying for Philo/Philo & Econ (me, couple of mates and a couple from TSR) got in bar one. But every one of us (including the guy who got rejected) got all As at AS/Predicted.

First you have to get to the Open Day, I think most people are rejected before then.

Is there any official source for these stats? I know that subjects like Law and English at UCL are horrendously oversubcribed (the typical figure is between 20 and 25 applicants per place, and most applicants are probably aware of this), but for Philosophy I've heard a variety of figures, from 7:1 to your 20:1
Reply 204
Is there any official source for these stats? I know that subjects like Law and English at UCL are horrendously oversubcribed (the typical figure is between 20 and 25 applicants per place, and most applicants are probably aware of this), but for Philosophy I've heard a variety of figures, from 7:1 to your 20:1

I think this figure in my head is based on what a Philosophy lecturer said at the open day.

There's like 40 places, and there are about 4 open days with quite a lot of people at each. And the vast majority don't make it to the open day. 20:1 is the figure I have from last year, and I believe it to be correct. But I had a quick look for official figures to back that up and couldn't find anything. Sorry.

From my memory it was 20applicants per place, but that doesn't mean 20 applicants per offer remember. It was more like 15 applicants per offer or something.
Reply 205
mdiamond
We still have a week left - the most stressful part is the travel actually. I'm flying in the day before, so I'll get there late and I just hope I won't be too tired. Where are you coming from? And are you staying in the college? It might be nice to have someone to chat to at dinner the night before, if you're around.

Ah I'm coming from North Wales although I haven't booked my train tickets yet, tooooo much to think about.
Flyingg? Where from? (Hoping that sounds less nosey than I read it)
Yeah I'm staying in the college the night before so we should dine, that is, if I don't get lost.
Hello there!!

I applied over a month ago to do Philosophy with Theology at Exeter and Nottingham, and did my A-Levels this summer and got AAC. I've still heard nothing. Should I be worried (coz I'm panicking!!!) please help!!!!!
Afrotortina
Hello there!!

I applied over a month ago to do Philosophy with Theology at Exeter and Nottingham, and did my A-Levels this summer and got AAC. I've still heard nothing. Should I be worried (coz I'm panicking!!!) please help!!!!!

Was your personal statement good? Were your subjects decent subjects?

If so, don't worry! Nottingham gave me an offer of ABC for philosophy, so you should get an offer from them with your AAC unless you have something really wrong somewhere else. I don't know about Nottingham. It may be that neither of them have sorted out the unconditional offers yet.
If they didn't want you, they could have rejected you. They haven't, so no need to panic!
Reply 208
Laalice
Ah I'm coming from North Wales although I haven't booked my train tickets yet, tooooo much to think about.
Flyingg? Where from? (Hoping that sounds less nosey than I read it)
Yeah I'm staying in the college the night before so we should dine, that is, if I don't get lost.

From Spain (Alicante - I'm at a European School) so not too long travelling, but still. Yes, it would be great to have someone to talk to, I wonder how we'll recognise each other though? Do you have facebook? Then you'll know what I look like and I can send you my UK mobile number :smile:
Reply 209
mdiamond
From Spain (Alicante - I'm at a European School) so not too long travelling, but still. Yes, it would be great to have someone to talk to, I wonder how we'll recognise each other though? Do you have facebook? Then you'll know what I look like and I can send you my UK mobile number :smile:

I have facebook, I'll mail you the address.
Although I don't even have a phone that is in use :/
Shall speak to you on there then I supposeeeeee
Reply 210
Great, just added you :smile: Only a week left until interview now...
Reply 211
I've just received an offer of AAA at Durham (Castle)!!!!!!!!! So happy
m i l o

Damn and blast and gratz
Reply 213
m i l o

:woo: Well done! If you have any questions about the course here or about Durham in general feel free to ask me.
Well done!!! Do you know if Durham gives out offers for Philosophy all at once? I haven't heard from them since I applied...?
Reply 215
Just got an offer from Warwick :smile:
Louisa_D
Just got an offer from Warwick :smile:

Congratz. You're one of the lucky ones, others will be waiting mooonths for Warwick. Well done. *hits you over the head with a shovel and runs off with the offer*
Reply 217
missmourk
Well done!!! Do you know if Durham gives out offers for Philosophy all at once? I haven't heard from them since I applied...?

I got my offer around March time.
Reply 218
lightburns
Congratz. You're one of the lucky ones, others will be waiting mooonths for Warwick. Well done. *hits you over the head with a shovel and runs off with the offer*

haha thanks, loadsa people i know have heard (not for philo tho) my first offer :smile: at least someone wants me? I also have a UCL open day too (got that today) YAY :smile:
and gimmie my offer back!!
Louisa_D
haha thanks, loadsa people i know have heard (not for philo tho) my first offer :smile: at least someone wants me? I also have a UCL open day too (got that today) YAY :smile:
and gimmie my offer back!!

Never!!!!

ooh gratz on UCL.
Gah. I want offers. I might steal your UCL one too :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending